Bills TE Lee Smith is contemplating retirement

HOUSE

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure in a perfect world the Bills would like to hang on to him.

But when they're cap-strapped, that's $2.25M they can use to sign rookies or sign McKenzie or depth on OL.

Correct.  

He will be missed by Allen.  He really watched over him from a mentorship perspective.   

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm making my way through the cover1 video on the Bills 2020 run game

The Society for Decent Blocking at Bills TE Position says 😱

This breakdown is excellent and the I just recommended it to Gunnerbill.  Very eye opening.  We need a new o line coach, perhaps new RB coach , and we need one back with power and speed enough to hit the holes when they are there for the taking.  Huge amount of line issues exposed tho and guard play, Williams , Knox were abysmal at run blocking in the zone scheme.  Morse who is great at gap blocking still had a good year but was misused in this zone scheme. At one point they mention they quit breaking down simple trap plays cuz the line was so lost trying to do them. Not like the days of Kelly, Thurman , Hull, House Ballard etc.   So not sure if these guys were just “ dim” or the o line coaching was that atrocious!  Great watch tho. 

9 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

This breakdown is excellent and the I just recommended it to Gunnerbill.  Very eye opening.  We need a new o line coach, perhaps new RB coach , and we need one back with power and speed enough to hit the holes when they are there for the taking.  Huge amount of line issues exposed tho and guard play, Williams , Knox were abysmal at run blocking in the zone scheme.  Morse who is great at gap blocking still had a good year but was misused in this zone scheme. At one point they mention they quit breaking down simple trap plays cuz the line was so lost trying to do them. Not like the days of Kelly, Thurman , Hull, House Ballard etc.   So not sure if these guys were just “ dim” or the o line coaching was that atrocious!  Great watch tho. 

Agree completely the breakdown is excellent.  I've been working my way back through games to verify that they aren't cherry picking the awful, and so far, they aren't. 😱

I'm not sure we need to be so drastic as fire the OL and RB coach.  I've said elsewhere that with limited offseason and a new star WR (as well as a rookie) to work into the offense, the team's offensive priority was ensuring that the pass game had every chance for success.  I don't think it was just Daboll; I think it went through McDermott and Beane as well. 

It makes sense, right?  With a decent pass blocking OL, a true #1 WR and 2+ quality guys behind him,THE most important offensive priority for the season was to be able to make a clear call on Allen, is he your guy?  I think that was the focus of the team's offseason and the focus of most of their practice snaps during the week.  And then it makes sense that when we focused on the run, prior to the 1st Patriots game and after the bye, we were able to execute the run but as soon as the focus of attention shifted back to pass blocking (and receiving, for Knox) there went the run.

But even so, we have got to upgrade especially at guard and we have got to practice and focus on the run enough to be able to execute it, even if it's not the team' focus.  So if the OL coach and RB coach aren't able to bring some energy and help their guys maintain focus then yeah, we need a change.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree completely the breakdown is excellent.  I've been working my way back through games to verify that they aren't cherry picking the awful, and so far, they aren't. 😱

I'm not sure we need to be so drastic as fire the OL and RB coach.  I've said elsewhere that with limited offseason and a new star WR (as well as a rookie) to work into the offense, the team's offensive priority was ensuring that the pass game had every chance for success.  I don't think it was just Daboll; I think it went through McDermott and Beane as well. 

It makes sense, right?  With a decent pass blocking OL, a true #1 WR and 2+ quality guys behind him,THE most important offensive priority for the season was to be able to make a clear call on Allen, is he your guy?  I think that was the focus of the team's offseason and the focus of most of their practice snaps during the week.  And then it makes sense that when we focused on the run, prior to the 1st Patriots game and after the bye, we were able to execute the run but as soon as the focus of attention shifted back to pass blocking (and receiving, for Knox) there went the run.

But even so, we have got to upgrade especially at guard.

Great points.  After watching the issues they pointed out , it just seemed like so. Much of that was related mistakes that proper coaching should have corrected. They did do well in a couple of games , yet there are times when guys aren’t even making full efforts and were just whiffing or standing after whiffing and not looking for someone to hit. If it was all talent based , you would think the effort would consistently be there. But when basic footwork is bad, the effort is bad, they had to go away from trap plays completely as the players looked like they were lost , it seems that comes down to consistent coaching. In medicine, once you learn a procedure and do it once or so, it’s not like suddenly you then forget how to do it later. These guys are at the pinnacle of talent supposedly , yet they could not execute basic run schemes. To me that means they are not being taught proper technique, not being held accountable , or they might not belong on the line in the first place.

I just thought it might come down to $ and be easier to see if you can get more with different or a better o line coach , especially since it was a drop off from 2019 with the same talent.   Regarding  rbs, I can see where moss has issues due to inexperience. Harder to explain Devins regression , and as the film showed , it wasn’t all on the o line. Several times he had open holes and misread the blocking angles and cut into being tackled.  Doesn’t that come down to being accountable and coaching ?  He actually was better last year so o Line issues were an issue, but when you see him reading angles poorly that in my eye should be corrected by coaching and why would he lose those skills just cuz they focus one week more on the passing gsme?  It’s a chicken/ egg thing I guess! 😀.  Great breakdown by those guys tho ! 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems to me fans confuse the difference between a pass catching TE, a blocking TE and an all around TE.

With confusing descriptions like that it's no wonder fans have such a hard time.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it was pretty strange.  Lee Smith barely saw the field the first 7 weeks of the season, Covid-19 notwithstanding. 

After the bye, it was like someone smacked a relevant coach upside the Haid and said "Dawson Knox just can't block, if you want to run the ball put Lee Smith in there" and he started to see 25,30, 40% of the offensive snaps.  Run game picked up a notch.

Then we get to the playoffs, very little Lee Smith, no run game. 

Not saying that's correlated, it's just such a move away from the last weeks of the season when our offense was firing pretty well.

Lee was productive for his skills.  I wish him well.  I’d rather have one less TE, although three makes sense, and find a very good blocking FB.

Just like people didn’t realize Star’s value, also a number of people didn’t realize what DiMarco did for our running game.  I’m not saying he was great, but he served a purpose.  Having someone to pave the way can really help.  Look at juscszyk.  What a name.  Anyway, he doesn’t have a lot of yards, but he in 2019 was a big part of their excellent running game.  He opened holes and once past the D Line, guys were able to get some yards.

Edited by machine gun kelly

He finally learned how to catch the ball on his second go round ;)

He finally quit getting holding penalties every other play on his second go round ;)

Sure go ahead and retire when you finally find a way to contribute ;)

J/K....Enjoy life after football Lee :)

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

In 2020, he did what was asked of him and had zero penalties that I can remember.  I wished we would’ve used him vs the chiefs

Agree, the non use of available players during the season and post season was head a scratcher a lot of the time. Imo coach missed opportunities because of this. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder if they still intend to keep developing Tommy Sweeney. Those couple games he played in early 2019 he didn't look too bad. I know injuries sidelined him a lot this season. We shall see, I guess. As for Lee Smith, good for him if he decides to hang it up. 

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I was never a Lee Smith fan but somehow both he and Jerry Hughes were able to shed the penalty bug this year. I’d love to find out what changed. Was it the quiet stadiums? They were both good for at least one Offside or illegal motion per week. 

Half of Lee Smith's  Offside or illegal motion per week were in your head in 2019.  You have a very good imagination. I am guessing that you will still blame him for them when he is not playing for Bills.

27 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I wonder if they still intend to keep developing Tommy Sweeney. Those couple games he played in early 2019 he didn't look too bad. I know injuries sidelined him a lot this season. We shall see, I guess. As for Lee Smith, good for him if he decides to hang it up. 

I know people like to pull for the late round guy, but let's bring in some high end talent at the position. Time to join modern times. The Super Bowl alone has a chance to feature 4 TEs that are better than what we got. 4

39 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I wonder if they still intend to keep developing Tommy Sweeney. Those couple games he played in early 2019 he didn't look too bad. I know injuries sidelined him a lot had him on IR this entire season. We shall see, I guess. As for Lee Smith, good for him if he decides to hang it up. 

FIFY.  Sweeney wasn't "sidelined a lot", he was on IR from the start of the season.  Then he caught covid and got sidelined by covid complications.  Never even practiced.

• Like (+1) 1