Bills TE Lee Smith is contemplating retirement

HOUSE

32 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

He probably wants to leave on his terms.  If the Bills cut him, he's unlikely to be signed by another team.  His chances of sticking with the Bills are real low imo.  Plus, the Bills will save $2.5 M if they cut him.  Good luck Lee.

He was also one of the non-OL pass blockers when Bills kept him to neutralize some players.

25 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'm really going miss those false start penalties. 

:(

Yes what you will do with your imagination.  He had NONE last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

I’d suggest you visit your optometrist.  I was a big time Knox supporter but at this point I’m done.  Blocking is non-existent and he doesn’t create the mismatches one would expect in the passing game.

The Bills need a total makeover at the position.

Nothing wrong with eyes at all.

The Bills need a pass catching TE.  Like I said it's looking like Knox isn't that guy.

The Bills need a blocking TE and I hope that Nate Becker can fill that role.

Between those 2 types of TEs that is the lions share of snaps.

BUT the Bills need an all around guy that can cover/relieve for injury/depth.  That is who I think Knox is (at least until now).

If you think he is "unworthy" of making an NFL team in that role I disagree.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it was pretty strange.  Lee Smith barely saw the field the first 7 weeks of the season, Covid-19 notwithstanding. 

After the bye, it was like someone smacked a relevant coach upside the Haid and said "Dawson Knox just can't block, if you want to run the ball put Lee Smith in there" and he started to see 25,30, 40% of the offensive snaps.  Run game picked up a notch.

Then we get to the playoffs, very little Lee Smith, no run game. 

Not saying that's correlated, it's just such a move away from the last weeks of the season when our offense was firing pretty well.

I totally agree - watch the tape - he helped especially with Williams even if it were chips. Wonders if he could have helped your man Feliciano who got crushed by the Chiefs inside (just watched the Cover 1 on Josh - yikes Mongo was bad). Plus his TD grabs were top shelf not to mention the open lumbering spree down the sideline out running a nose tackle - 5.4 speed - what's not to like 

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Guess you must have been missing them all season then

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitLe00/penalties

Psssssst.....Tyler Kroft is a free agent

Yes I was well aware that he cleaned that issue up this year. I was actually much more impressed with Smith this year and would have been fine bringing him back 

It’s probably time. I don’t see the Bills bringing him back for any amount of money that would be worth it for him to return. I only expect Knox and Gilliam back out of the TE group, along with Sweeney if cleared from the myocarditis. They will be adding at least one in FA or draft (I expect FA).

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think we didn't get as much value out of Smith, as we shuld have this season - but that was no fault of his, it's down to coaches/schemes.

No penalties, blocked well, and snagged a couple of TDs (well at least one).  If he played more/was used more, then at $2.5 million, he is being paid in the right area, and I wouldn't have a problem with him returning.

Should he decide to retire, then I wish him well - he's been a solid pro.

Knox has most of the physical attributes to be a good TE - decent size, enough speed, and looks 'built'. I question what's between his ears though, when he's on the field. Too many untimely drops, from simple catches, and missing blocks too often - some of which I believe is down to not knowing his assignments well enough.

I think he needs to take note of that classic Tomlin quote 'I expect guys to make routine plays, routinely'.

The 'angry run' and odd highlight reel catch, are all well and good, but if you don't do the basics right regularly, you are more of a liability than an asset.

In fairness, he didn't make the drops in the second half of the season, but he was still missing blocks, and he was rarely obviously 'open'.

For all the physical attributes, I see him as no better than a #2 TE, without significant improvement all round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean haha. Dude made a great living not being really talented. Seems like a great lockerroom guy and I salute him and wish him well. 

Now can we finally get a real TE here. 

Great lockeroom guy. Decent blocker and terrible offensive TE. Good luck Lee, say hi to DiMarco for us.....

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Define "valuable", please.  If you can quantitate 5x more valuable, you must be able to define it fairly precisely.

🙄 oh please. Smith did what he was supposed to do (block) and also managed to snag several big receptions. Knox was supposed to have a “breakout” year and was nothing special. In this offense I’d rather have Smith in the game because he’s reliable. 

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Nick Wojton

February 3, 2021 1:09 pm

The Bills could see some changes at tight end this offseason.

While the default name for many to associate the position with is Dawson Knox, change might actually begin with Lee Smith.

Smith, 33, recently said he is contemplating retiring. The Tennessee native recently joined the Nashville radio show JMart and Ramon on 1045 The Zone and he referenced hanging ’em up on a couple of occasion

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/buffalo-bills-lee-smith-contemplating-retirement/

Oh no how will the bills replace this cornerstone of the offense