Bills TE Lee Smith is contemplating retirement

HOUSE

Nick Wojton

February 3, 2021 1:09 pm

The Bills could see some changes at tight end this offseason.

While the default name for many to associate the position with is Dawson Knox, change might actually begin with Lee Smith.

Smith, 33, recently said he is contemplating retiring. The Tennessee native recently joined the Nashville radio show JMart and Ramon on 1045 The Zone and he referenced hanging ’em up on a couple of occasion

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/buffalo-bills-lee-smith-contemplating-retirement/

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm making my way through the cover1 video on the Bills 2020 run game

The Society for Decent Blocking at Bills TE Position says 😱

I don't doubt he was the best run blocking TE on show. But the run game wasn't exactly devastatingly successful....

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Seoulofstone said:

I don't doubt he was the best run blocking TE on show. But the run game wasn't exactly devastatingly successful....

Yeah, it was pretty strange.  Lee Smith barely saw the field the first 7 weeks of the season, Covid-19 notwithstanding. 

After the bye, it was like someone smacked a relevant coach upside the Haid and said "Dawson Knox just can't block, if you want to run the ball put Lee Smith in there" and he started to see 25,30, 40% of the offensive snaps.  Run game picked up a notch.

Then we get to the playoffs, very little Lee Smith, no run game. 

Not saying that's correlated, it's just such a move away from the last weeks of the season when our offense was firing pretty well.

• Like (+1) 4

It seems to me fans confuse the difference between a pass catching TE, a blocking TE and an all around TE.

The Bills need 1 of each.

Lee Smith's role needs to be replaced with a blocking TE.

Kroft's role needs to be replaced with a pass catching TE if Knox is proven to not be that guy.

As of now I consider Knox to be pretty good at an all around TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

As of now I consider Knox to be pretty good at an all around TE

I’d suggest you visit your optometrist.  I was a big time Knox supporter but at this point I’m done.  Blocking is non-existent and he doesn’t create the mismatches one would expect in the passing game.

The Bills need a total makeover at the position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1