Super Bowl LVI: Bills among favorites to hoist Lombardi Trophy

HOUSE

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And if Diggs or Beasley go down? IMO they’d be better served with another playmaker at the position..... would honestly love it if a good one fell to them at 30 and they drafted him. BPA all the way. 

I mean, that's sort of the position every team is in.  It was really pretty rotten luck in the AFCCG w/ pretty much every receiver nursing some injury.  Not much you can do about that; you can't go 7 deep or something.

We need a RB, and to get better on defense - much better.  Fix those areas first (I think we all kind of agree on that).

Edited by Success

45 minutes ago, Success said:

The Bills don't have to make ANY moves in terms of WR or TE.  Beasley just finished the best year of his career & doesn't need surgery. He'll go into next season fully healthy.  Knox is our starting TE - he has made steady improvement all season & IS a "pass catching TE."  Gabe Davis can easily move into the position vacated by Smoke if the latter moves on, and we have a speedster from last year's draft who didn't even play yet.

Thanks for the input, though. Dontchya have a game this weekend to be mulling over before being concerned about the Bills' prospects for '21?

I find it interesting that you could watch Kelce catch 13 passes on 15 targets for 118 yards and 2 TDs and come away thinking that Dawson Knox, a guy who had 24 catches on 44 targets for 288 yards an 3 TDs on the SEASON (not to mention 2 lost fumbles and a dropped pass that caused an INT) is an adequate weapon for Allen.

I find it interesting that you watched the fastest player in the league catch 9 passes on 11 targets for 172 yards in that same game and came away thinking that Gabe Davis, a possession receiver who ran a 4.54 and had 0 catches on 3 targets is a viable weapon as a Z receiver.

I find it interesting that you watched another track star in Mecole Hardman break off a 50 yard run and catch a TD from the slot in that same game and came away thinking that Cole Beasley, a 32 year old possession receiver coming off a broken leg is a viable weapon in the slot.

It’s not that I think all these guys suck, but none of them are viable second options, especially for a team that relies so heavily on the passing attack.  You’ve got Diggs who is awesome and then a bunch of slow footed guys in Singletary, Moss, Knox, Beasley, and Davis.  I think a pass catcher with speed is the biggest off-season need.  If Josh is the franchise, how are you going to run him out there with one great skill player and nothing else?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Seems high TBH. 

Does anyone really see us getting back to the AFC Championship game? 

You serious? I expect the Super Bowl 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah he is getting traded. I started where you were, but when Simms says it is over I believe him. Houston loses too much if he sits. 

Unless you get something comparable valuewise you don’t make that trade and more important if you do you don’t trade him in the AFC 

34 minutes ago, Billl said:

I find it interesting that you could watch Kelce catch 13 passes on 15 targets for 118 yards and 2 TDs and come away thinking that Dawson Knox, a guy who had 24 catches on 44 targets for 288 yards an 3 TDs on the SEASON (not to mention 2 lost fumbles and a dropped pass that caused an INT) is an adequate weapon for Allen.

I find it interesting that you watched the fastest player in the league catch 9 passes on 11 targets for 172 yards in that same game and came away thinking that Gabe Davis, a possession receiver who ran a 4.54 and had 0 catches on 3 targets is a viable weapon as a Z receiver.

I find it interesting that you watched another track star in Mecole Hardman break off a 50 yard run and catch a TD from the slot in that same game and came away thinking that Cole Beasley, a 32 year old possession receiver coming off a broken leg is a viable weapon in the slot.

It’s not that I think all these guys suck, but none of them are viable second options, especially for a team that relies so heavily on the passing attack.  You’ve got Diggs who is awesome and then a bunch of slow footed guys in Singletary, Moss, Knox, Beasley, and Davis.  I think a pass catcher with speed is the biggest off-season need.  If Josh is the franchise, how are you going to run him out there with one great skill player and nothing else?

So, the only way to beat the Chiefs is to mirror them exactly?

The Bills had one of the top 5 receivers corps in the league this past season.  Allen had over 4,500 yards and 37 TD's.  If everyone stayed healthy, we probably would have had 3 receivers break 1,000 yards.  And yeah - Cole Beasley is still a "viable weapon in the slot."  He's not going to drop off a cliff by September after his best season in the NFL.  

The Bills needs are obvious, at least to Bills fans.  The Bills need a running game....ANY running game. They need to get a RB, probably high in the draft.  They need a pass rush, badly, and to improve almost every slot in the current D-line.  They probably need a LB & safety, depending on who stays & who leaves.

The passing attack was not an issue, and won't be an issue, even if they lose Smoke - who was injured much of this past season anyway.  We don't need to be the greatest show on turf or '07 Pats - teams who stalled at the finish line regardless. Championship teams are more balanced, and you have to have a defense that can make stops. THAT was the biggest difference between KC and Buffalo in the championship game.

Edited by Success

3 hours ago, eball said:

Watson will either be quarterbacking the Houston Texans or sitting out the season.  Book it.

Oh he's already said he'll sit out, but there's 0% chance he ever plays for Houston. You can take that to the bank. Texan ownership will lose millions in marketing and they will be forced to trade him. It's not a matter of when but where?

3 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Seems high TBH. 

I do.  Vegas does apparently.  I think the big question is whether or not we win enough games to host it.  That might tip things in our favor IMO.

1 hour ago, Success said:

The Bills don't have to make ANY moves in terms of WR or TE.  Beasley just finished the best year of his career & doesn't need surgery. He'll go into next season fully healthy.  Knox is our starting TE - he has made steady improvement all season & IS a "pass catching TE."  Gabe Davis can easily move into the position vacated by Smoke if the latter moves on, and we have a speedster from last year's draft who didn't even play yet.

Thanks for the input, though. Dontchya have a game this weekend to be mulling over before being concerned about the Bills' prospects for '21?

I'll agree our wr room is in good shape even if John leaves but our TE's blow. Knox is it and he still needs tons of work learning how to actually block. And reduce his drops. The rest of these TE scrubs can go.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'll agree our wr room is in good shape even if John leaves but our TE's blow. Knox is it and he still needs tons of work learning how to actually block. And reduce his drops. The rest of these TE scrubs can go.

I'm definitely more bullish on Knox than most.  He's had steady improvement, and some of the plays he's made have shown what he's capable of.  I can't disagree on the blocking, but I'm sure they'll work on that.

I'd be okay just getting a back-up TE, at least for one more season.  I guess the main point was that it's not a big priority.  The poster I was responding to made it sound like we have to upgrade everyone but Diggs.  I've never been happier w/ our receiving corps - like, literally never. Not even from the '90's or Moulds/Price days.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Watson can stay out of the afce, I don't see why the same 4 teams won't  be playing next year. 

Packers and Bucs won't be there again, I don't think.

16 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

We don't have a good running game, we have zero pass rush, I think the jury is still out on Allen.

This board has overwhelmingly embraced Allen as an elite franchise QB, and seems to assume the level he played at in 2020 will be the norm for his entire career.

I agree with you; it remains to be seen if he can continue to perform at this level.  He made huge, historic, unprecedented progress last off-season.   It's not guaranteed he will stay where he is.

42 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

We don't have a good running game, we have zero pass rush, I think the jury is still out on Allen.

Never has a jury been so sure and confident of a verdict.

Allen is one of the best players in the NFL right now.  We are incredibly lucky he is on the Bills.  

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

You think the jury is still out on our quarterback who just was an all pro?

Dude I don't even know what to say, Josh Allen is the only reason we win games 

He literally throws runs and catches touchdowns

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The Buffalo Bills have staying power as one of the NFL’s best teams according to oddsmakers.

Odds for Super Bowl LVI have been released by Bet Online and Buffalo finds themselves tied for the second best odds in the league to win the big game and hoist the Lombardi Trophy following the 2021 regular season.

The Kansas City Chiefs, looking to win the Super Bowl in back-to-back years this Sunday, are the betting favorites at 5/1, but Buffalo--as well as the Green Bay Packers, Los Angeles Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers--come in at 12/1.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/02/super-bowl-lvi-bills-among-favorites-to-hoist-lombardi-trophy.html

Makes total sense.

Not that they can relax now, obviously, but they absolutely should be among the favorites.

8 hours ago, Billl said:

While some good points, I wouldn’t call Beasey slow footed.  Moss is ok for power, but we could definitely use more speed, as well as a #1 TE.  Reading what Beane has said, I believe he knows it, and we’ll just have to wait to see what happens.

Most Bills fans at the beginning of last season had predicted the Bills to 7-9, 9-7 season looking at the difficulty of teams they faced. Nobody predicted 13-3 and an AFC Championship berth.

This season the Bills could fall back a bit due to losing some players and the teams in the AFC East getting better.

Patriots get all those who opted out due to covid back, 8 players. Plus, the Patriots have around 60k in positive cap space. The Patriots have 7 picks in the upcoming draft including the #15 overall pick.

This years free agency is going to be very strange as so many teams will be over the cap and will need to cut many players...like expensive star players. It will be a buyers market for the teams that have loads of cap space. 

The NY Jets under a new HC other than "crazy eyes"...should be greatly improved as he knows defense and his OC should build a decent offense. Plus, they are +65k under the cap! The Jets have 9 picks in the upcoming draft including #2 overall and #23 overall. 

The Dolphins while still have a question with their starting QB in Tua. They have the #3 overall pick and the #18 overall pick along with two second round picks. 10 picks total. Not bad for a 10-5 team. Miami also has +25k in cap space. 

Buffalo has -6k cap space. 

The entire NFL world watched the Chiefs beat the Bills on both offense and defense in that AFC Championship game. The Bills won't be sneaking by anyone in 2021 and every team will be out to beat them the same way the Chiefs did...could be a rough year. 

The Biggest question going forward is will the Bills build a respectable rushing attack or let Josh Allen be the leading rusher in games? 

Anyway, the Bills have the 23rd toughest schedule in 2021. 123-133. 

Home, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Colts, Steelers. Away, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, JagsSaints, Bucs, Titans, Chiefs.

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Most Bills fans at the beginning of last season had predicted the Bills to 7-9, 9-7 season looking at the difficulty of teams they faced. Nobody predicted 13-3 and an AFC Championship berth.

This season the Bills could fall back a bit due to losing some players and the teams in the AFC East getting better.

Patriots get all those who opted out due to covid back, 8 players. Plus, the Patriots have around 60k in positive cap space. The Patriots have 7 picks in the upcoming draft including the #15 overall pick.

This years free agency is going to be very strange as so many teams will be over the cap and will need to cut many players...like expensive star players. It will be a buyers market for the teams that have loads of cap space. 

The NY Jets under a new HC other than "crazy eyes"...should be greatly improved as he knows defense and his OC should build a decent offense. Plus, they are +65k under the cap! The Jets have 9 picks in the upcoming draft including #2 overall and #23 overall. 

The Dolphins while still have a question with their starting QB in Tua. They have the #3 overall pick and the #18 overall pick along with two second round picks. 10 picks total. Not bad for a 10-5 team. Miami also has +25k in cap space. 

Buffalo has -6k cap space. 

The entire NFL world watched the Chiefs beat the Bills on both offense and defense in that AFC Championship game. The Bills won't be sneaking by anyone in 2021 and every team will be out to beat them the same way the Chiefs did...could be a rough year. 

The Biggest question going forward is will the Bills build a respectable rushing attack or let Josh Allen be the leading rusher in games? 

Anyway, the Bills have the 23rd toughest schedule in 2021. 123-133. 

Home, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Colts, Steelers. Away, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, JagsSaints, Bucs, Titans, Chiefs.

At this  point, it's hard to ask for a better schedule than that. Obviously, things can change, and teams often exceed expectations - but no one can name the starting QB for half of the teams on that list right now.

It's a year-to-year league, and it certainly can't be an assumption that there is some sort of linear progression.  Like, okay - last year, we made the WC, this year, we got to the AFCCG, next year, Super Bowl!  It just doesn't work like that in the NFL.

That said, there is no one else out there I'd rather have in charge than Beane.  He will put the team in the best position to repeat their 2021 success and build on it.  My expectation now is winning the AFC East, at minimum. Beyond that is harder to gauge, since you need luck in the playoffs more often than not (and we did in both the Colts and Ravens games to get where we did).

Depending on QB, Colts could be really tough. 

I think the AFC comes down to Colts, Bills, Chiefs, Ravens. 

Also-rans: Titans, Browns

Titans do one thing well: hand off to Henry 87 times a game. 

Browns have Alex Smith version 2.0 at QB. They will win a lot, but never anything big. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:36 PM, NJKBillsfan said:

Seems high TBH. 

Ya, why not. 

We have a top 5 QB, WR, CB . 

Fix the run game,  hopefully add an elite pass rusher and we're SB bound. 

It's SB or bust with these Bills. Even if we have relatively the same roster. 

Edited by JerseyBills