I’m warming up to the JJ Watt idea

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m warming up to the JJ Watt idea

On its face first I didn’t like it because of watts injury history then I took a look at just how many snaps he plays for Houston and you factor in the fact that we use a rotation he is in on literally over 80% of the snaps for Houston

right now and would not get that snap count here so perhaps he could stay healthy and be the dominant player that we have seen

We need an impact player on the defense why is nasty a leader in a play maker when healthy to make room for him

Cut Addison Butler Jeffersonand do some restructures

Cutting Addison, Butler and Jefferson and doing some restructures would get us enough money to re-sign maybe two of Milano, Feliciano and Daryl Williams. Maybe it could get us up to where we can pay for nearly all of our 52.

Where do we get the money for Watt?

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

both his brothers play in Pittsburgh. Makes a lot of sense for him to go there on a vet min deal. He would do great in that defense. 

Vet min? I don't think there's a chance in hell he plays for that. When was the last time a guy who's been one of the better guys in the league played for vet min, even at the tail end of his career?

He certainly won't get what he would have gotten three years ago, but you won't get him for vet min or even very close, I suspect. He'd see that as an insult.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Vet min? I don't think there's a chance in hell he plays for that. When was the last time a guy who's been one of the better guys in the league played for vet min, even at the tail end of his career?

He certainly won't get what he would have gotten three years ago, but you won't get him for vet min or even very close, I suspect. He'd see that as an insult.

yeah, you may be right. But it would have to be a very reduced deal. I don’t think Pittsburgh could afford much. 

that said, I am not sure that many teams would be throwing a lot of money at him— too much of an injury risk at this stage. 

43 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, you may be right. But it would have to be a very reduced deal. I don’t think Pittsburgh could afford much. 

that said, I am not sure that many teams would be throwing a lot of money at him— too much of an injury risk at this stage. 

Oh, I know he doesn't get the big bucks anymore, but if they think he can still get to the passer he'll probably get offers for $4M to $12M, somewhere in that wide band, and if they think he can't still get to the passer he won't get offers.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah were not getting him nor should we. But fun to talk about.  Give me Carlos Basham @ 30. 6-5/ 280 DE from Virginia.  Remind you of anyone? 

I've only seen him a bit, but so far, me likey.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Watt is far more likely to be a self aggrandizing locker room disruptor than a contributor.

Here's his comments when told after a game by Romeo Crennel that he'd gotten his 100th sack. Crennel urged him to speak.

"I appreciate it," Watt told his teammates. "I've said leading up to the 100th - the media always asks questions, and I've always said - no personal achievement is ever more important than a team achievement. So, to get it on a day when we got a win as a team means a lot to me. Football's the ultimate team game. Nobody does anything by themselves in football. That's why it's so special. That's what makes this game so great is that it takes so many guys pulling together in the same direction to make something great happen. A hundred sacks is great, but that's a whole bunch of teammates, coaches, coverages, d-lineman, linebackers, that's a whole bunch of people, training staff, cafeteria staff, a whole lot of people helping me make that happen. So, while I may get a lot of media attention today for this, just know that it's because of you, it's because of everybody who helped make it happen. It's never just about one person, so I want to say thank you. I appreciate it.

Video here:   https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-JJ-Watt-speech-teammates-100-career-sacks-15711547.php

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm not. Not unless we are changing our defensive scheme. At this stage JJ is not an outside edge rusher in a 4 man front. If you want him to play as the "big end" the 7 tech position I am sure he could do that still to a high level but he is going to want to be paid like a premier pass rusher and I am not sure he is that anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Here's his comments when told after a game by Romeo Crennel that he'd gotten his 100th sack. Crennel urged him to speak.

"I appreciate it," Watt told his teammates. "I've said leading up to the 100th - the media always asks questions, and I've always said - no personal achievement is ever more important than a team achievement. So, to get it on a day when we got a win as a team means a lot to me. Football's the ultimate team game. Nobody does anything by themselves in football. That's why it's so special. That's what makes this game so great is that it takes so many guys pulling together in the same direction to make something great happen. A hundred sacks is great, but that's a whole bunch of teammates, coaches, coverages, d-lineman, linebackers, that's a whole bunch of people, training staff, cafeteria staff, a whole lot of people helping me make that happen. So, while I may get a lot of media attention today for this, just know that it's because of you, it's because of everybody who helped make it happen. It's never just about one person, so I want to say thank you. I appreciate it.

Video here:   https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-JJ-Watt-speech-teammates-100-career-sacks-15711547.php

That speech took the same amount of time as his average sack dance.

I am in on this....provided he's a viable scheme fit. He's played different than our current guys IMO.

My guess is , if the answer is yes, he should be traded for, then it takes the guesswork out of "would he want to come here". With the contract , i dont think it will take more than a 5th rounder, as he very well could get cut.

The 17 million is a tough pill to swallow, but likely could be renegotiated to alleve cap concerns for this year, spread out over a creative multi year deal. Fully confident in Bean here.

Lets also not get too insecure here; the Watts are cold weather folks, and my guess is JJ would love the college vibe of this team. BTW we are a good football team.

A few counterpoints to things ;

Yes i find him obnoxious at times too...i think the bills need some vocal fire on that side of the ball though.

Im willing to risk his play being down to the issues w Texans. He was a huge factor in our 2019 playoff loss, so i know he has more left.  He's 31 so not the oldest.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not. Not unless we are changing our defensive scheme. At this stage JJ is not an outside edge rusher in a 4 man front. If you want him to play as the "big end" the 7 tech position I am sure he could do that still to a high level but he is going to want to be paid like a premier pass rusher and I am not sure he is that anymore. 

This is the crux of the argument. I dont agree with the last part however, especially this year...the money simply wont be there.

he might be a great piece along w a sick edge rusher on the other side, but on his own while he has the chance to be a solid part of the D, he's not going to be a difference maker.

more than anything, we need just savages up front on D.  throw a bosa (remember what dude did to us in the Chargers game?) or some such on the line and we are talking a big change on 3rd downs.

5 years ago watt would be a massive impact, i just don't know that he has it in the tank anymore.

also, we need to get younger at premium positions.  wayyyy to much age on our DL

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sounds like a real locker room cancer to me 🙄 i honestly dont even know where that narrative started?!   because the nfl made him one of the poster boys for so long? because of his charitable work?  because hes white (GASP)? the guy was probably over exposed by the league, and i get that being annoying but i dont think its his fault.  he didnt go to the media more than anyone else, its not his fault a sound bite from every press conference made it on pre game shows, and sportscenter.  blame the press, but locker room cancer? thats LAZY!