Marty Shottenheimer placed in Hospice care

Oh no, I honestly didn't know he was ill. Such a shame. Such a great coach. He was tainted by the lack of playoff success but it seemed everywhere he went they would become a tough team and came so close a few times with the Browns and KC. Even Washington later in his career looked on the right path until their idiot owner got rid of him. He had the great year with the Chargers only for it to end in the playoffs again. 

I can remember at some point during the drought wanting the Bills to hire him because I knew we'd at least contend for the playoffs again

• Like (+1) 2

I stumbled across the 1968 Bills highlights film on YT last week and it was a pretty sad year, but one of the highlights was a Marty Schottenheimer pick 6.  Made me wonder what happened to him and sad to hear about this.  It seems to me that I've heard about several "old timers" who have either died from or have been diagnosed with Alzheimer and I can't help but wonder if its somehow related to blows to the head?

Lots of people get blows to head without getting Alzheimers.  It is a lot more complicated than that.

Like smoking causes cancer but George Burns lived to 100 without issues.

Various factors increase chances but some have such low chance it does not matter.

I watched film of Marty as player and he was very good.  Shame he did not have more successes as coach but 327/200 is pretty good.

• Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Lots of people get blows to head without getting Alzheimers.  It is a lot more complicated than that.

Various factors increase chances but some have such low chance it does not matter.

THANK YOU!!!!

Genetics and the environment play a huge role in these diseases... my grandmother lived to be 97 and was a chain smoker for decades, and yet Dustin Diamond dies of cancer at 42 years old.

I will NEVER, EVER go into a home or hospice care... it's a terrible place to be and put family through. Terrible.

26 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I watched film of Marty as player and he was very good.  Shame he did not have more successes as coach but 327/200 is pretty good.

George Burns is an anecdote, not representative of any sort of trend. Schottenheimer may well have gotten Alzheimer's for reasons other than football, but he was diagnosed with in 2014 - when he 70. That's pretty young for Alzheimer's. The average age for onset is 80. Bear in mind he played in an era with pretty bad helmets and pretty vicious head shots.  

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Marty had quite the record as a head coach.  Double digit wins in 11 of his 20 full seasons.  Only two losing records.  Truly a class individual and excellent football coach.  Lost two truly heartbreaking AFC championship games.  Very saddened to hear this news.

Didn’t he start 0-8, then win 8 straight and get fired by the (then) Redskins?  That’s from memory, but who gets fired after finishing a season with 8 straight wins? 

Didn’t they have to abbreviate his name on the back of his jersey? Schottenheimer takes a LOT of space. 

King of the ground and pound.  

RIP