OPINION: Mitch Trubisky should be Bills' backup quarterback

HOUSE

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Not a bad idea from a Bills perspective, but he'll be able to try for a starting job somewhere so that's where he'll go.

Eh.  4 years, didn't pick up a 5th year option and no extension.  He's basically blaine gabbert/blake bortles now.  Sure he's younger, but the word is out.

Having said that, I'd probably be OK with bringing him in as a backup.

Edited by dneveu
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Eh.  4 years, didn't pick up a 5th year option and no extension.  He's basically blaine gabbert/blake bortles now.  Sure he's younger, but the word is out.

Having said that, I'd probably be OK with bringing him in as a backup.

Dont get me wrong, I never said he should be a starter. Just that he will end up with a chance at a starting job. Mostly due to the lack of better QB talent.

He's definitely a quality backup 👍

• Agree 1

This is a big QB carousel year and there will definitely be multiple fringe starters like him available for a backup spot.  The Bills should definitely pick one up if possible.  If Allen goes down for the season, The Bills are f#cked, but if he went down for 4 or 5 games a decent backup would valuable to make sure they could stay in the playoff race.  Im going to say no on a "Mariotta type deal"  though

• Agree 2

I think Trubisky still has a lot of upside that wasn’t unlocked. Just my opinion but I think Nagy is a pathetic coach. I was hoping Mitch would end up on Carolina or San Fran I think those are 2 places he could have a lot of success. He’s never going to hit elite status probably but I think he’s a lot better than the last couple Chicago seasons. 

I think there’s zero chance he has to settle for a backup deal with zero shot of winning a job. Going to be a lot of opportunities to at least compete to win a job for him. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont get me wrong, I never said he should be a starter. Just that he will end up with a chance at a starting job. Mostly due to the lack of better QB talent.

He's definitely a quality backup 👍

Yeah, could end up somewhere like miami (no watson), houston (no watson), indy (assuming they miss on other QBs).  Then theres a bunch of other teams who just dont have QBs at all like NO, Washington, etc.  

I'm all for Mitch or Darnold. Problem is I think we are a year or two away. Some teams still will see some promise in them as a potential starter. Need them to completely bust and cement themselves at a back up QB salary first. Of course both these guys are likely going to command top dollar in the back up QB market. So we would have to come to terms with that. But yeah, I'm not that confident in Barkley should we need to call on him when the stakes are high.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm all for Mitch or Darnold. Problem is I think we are a year or two away. Some teams still will see some promise in them as a potential starter. Need them to completely bust and cement themselves at a back up QB salary first. Of course both these guys are likely going to command top dollar in the back up QB market. So we would have to come to terms with that. But yeah, I'm not that confident in Barkley should we need to call on him when the stakes are high.

If Josh Allen continues his evil ways as a running QB, Trubisky could sneak that mustache into a few games

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Trubisky still has a lot of upside that wasn’t unlocked. Just my opinion but I think Nagy is a pathetic coach. I was hoping Mitch would end up on Carolina or San Fran I think those are 2 places he could have a lot of success. He’s never going to hit elite status probably but I think he’s a lot better than the last couple Chicago seasons. 

I think there’s zero chance he has to settle for a backup deal with zero shot of winning a job. Going to be a lot of opportunities to at least compete to win a job for him. 

In the 3 years with Nagy, the Bears are 28-24 with a +122 point differential.  In Fox’s 3 seasons, they were 14-34 with a -238 differential.  I don’t know that Nagy is great, but it’s hard for me to understand how a pathetic coach was handed a team that had just bungled a draft and made them respectable.  Put Watson or Mahomes on that team instead of Trubisky, and things look very different.

Just now, Billl said:

In the 3 years with Nagy, the Bears are 28-24 with a +122 point differential.  In Fox’s 3 seasons, they were 14-34 with a -238 differential.  I don’t know that Nagy is great, but it’s hard for me to understand how a pathetic coach was handed a team that had just bungled a draft and made them respectable.  Put Watson or Mahomes on that team instead of Trubisky, and things look very different.

I disagree.I think Nagy is a terrible schemer and he has held his offense back. Putting any top 5 quarterback there will definitely change things. I think his defenses have been pretty nice and kept them in some games. His first year the offense looked fantastic. However it looked to me like the league figured him out and he’s never been able to adjust. Of course that’s just my opinion. He’s supposed to be a good offensive mind so I kinda lost a lot of respect for him when he fired his whole offensive staff last year. Felt like he scapegoated them for the offensive struggles 

• Thank you (+1) 1

You can't have a. top 5 starting QB and a top 5 backup QB (unless he's on a rookie deal like New England and Jimmy G). It's hard to pull off financially but more than that it makes no sense for the backup. Trubisky is a back end starter, high end #2 - why would he want to go somewhere in his mid 20s where he has zero chance to compete?

45 minutes ago, Antonio said:

It is not a bad idea, but we can use that kind of money to fill more important positions. 

I tend to agree with this right now in a salary cap squeeze year.

Josh is already the whole team basically. He goes down, we go down. And I guess I'm ok with that. Now if somebody wants to be a backup for affordable salary (Fitz, Mitch, etc) I'm all for it- but this year may just ride with what we have in Barkley and maybe even let Fromm out of his covid bubble and see what he can do!