Derek Carr reportedly in demand, could lead to trade

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Mango said:

If Houston is trading Watson, they are now a QB needy team. Why not just package Carr in the trade rather than get a haul, just to flip it. Carr and a 2 x 1st rounders and call it a day. 

Odds are Carr doesn't fit their timeline. The Texans are likely to want to go with a rookie QB as opposed to a vet with 2 affordable years left on his contract. I think the Texans are more likely interested in a deal that gives them as many draft picks and young players as possible. The Raiders are likely going to have to find a team interested in Carr that can give them draft picks so that they can use those picks to get Watson. 

In a world where Stafford draws two first round picks and a third round pick, Carr on a similar contract could at least fetch a 1st and another pick. I don't know if Carr is viewed in the same realm as Stafford around the league so I think it is far more realistic that he gets traded for a 1st and 3rd maybe from a team like the Colts. Which should still help the Raiders get into the Watson conversation. 

If Watson is dealt, landing in Las Vegas over the Jets or Fins would certainly be a homerun for us. I'd be surprised if Watson isn't pushing for a team in the NFC though. The Bills and Chiefs look like they are going to be top dogs in the conference for a longtime with their QB's. And then you got guys like Herbert and Jackson who will give teams headaches. And who knows about Lawerence. 

Much smoother sailing long-term in the NFC. 

1 hour ago, JimmyNoodles said:

just to be clear, is Gruden ever happy with any QB?  

Just Naterman... 😂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

just to be clear, is Gruden ever happy with any QB?  

No but I don’t think he’s ever had a really stud, 1st round type talent. He gets the best of journeymen types. Carr is fairly good but there’s just something missing there. I think Watson would be a monster in Vegas and I would draft Ruggs in every fantasy league. 

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If Watson is dealt, landing in Las Vegas over the Jets or Fins would certainly be a homerun for us. I'd be surprised if Watson isn't pushing for a team in the NFC though. The Bills and Chiefs look like they are going to be top dogs in the conference for a longtime with their QB's. And then you got guys like Herbert and Jackson who will give teams headaches. And who knows about Lawerence. 

Don’t forget Burrow.  Count in Baker if you’d like.

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Most competitors like Watson give these things little thought, he believes he can beat anyone, rightfully so.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:38 PM, Warcodered said:

Mahomes, Watson, and Herbert all in the same division....yes please?

Those 2 being in there is exactly why the Raiders are going to look into this.  And permanently damage Carr's relationship with Gruden in the process.  

And it ain't happening.  

Will some NFC team get their freaking stuff together and make a pitch for this guy and get him out of his miserable life in Houston.  

No way Watson is going to Vegas and playing for Gruden.

None. 

Zero.

Zilch.

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

he’s not under contract in Dallas.  They’d have to do a tag and trade and that won’t happen.  

I can actually see why the Cowboys won’t budge on Daks demands Dak is good but he’s not worth 40 mill a year everything has to be letter perfect for him to win...putting Josh in Dallas with their receiving corps and running game and the Cowboys are probably in the Super Bowl 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This could just be me, but I feel as though Gruden is starting to feel a little tingle of warmth in his seat. 

He was brought in to lift the Raiders from "Good to Great", or maybe from "mediocre to great".  They had that 12-4, WC year in 2016 then a fall-off in 2017 under Del Rio.  Gruden was gonna reverse course and lift them back to 12-4 and beyond...except it hasn't gone down that way.

What's easier for a star-of-star HC: scrutinize his own actions and scheme for failing to get the most out of his players, or point the finger at his good-but-not-great QB?  Carr was good enough to help the Raiders score 40 freakin' points and defeat the Chiefs, their only "starters" loss of the season.

Oh I fully agree. Save for that one superbowl season where he basically babysat a superstar roster to the Lombardi, he hasnt had much coaching success. Yet he happened to be revered around the league. After gutting much of the roster and re-building it per his needs, the results are under-whelming. He should have built the team around Carr. But next season will be his year of reckoning. 

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No but I don’t think he’s ever had a really stud, 1st round type talent. He gets the best of journeymen types. Carr is fairly good but there’s just something missing there. I think Watson would be a monster in Vegas and I would draft Ruggs in every fantasy league. 

I agree. However, in my mind the question is, could they win with Carr? The LV offense was good this past year. The defense sucked. Why not try to fix that.  They beat KC once and played them tough the other time. Gruden’s always chasing unicorns. I think it’s his fatal flaw as coach. As a QB how could you ever trust him?  

1 minute ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I agree. However, in my mind the question is, could they win with Carr? The LV offense was good this past year. The defense sucked. Why not try to fix that.  They beat KC once and played them tough the other time. Gruden’s always chasing unicorns. I think it’s his fatal flaw as coach. As a QB how could you ever trust him?  

Exactly.  Is Carr Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahomes, Russ Wilson, Deshaun Watson transcendent? No.    Is he good enough to win with a defense and enough offensive pieces around him?  Yes.

Gruden wanting to jettison Carr (for that matter, McVay jettisoning Goff) puts me in mind of Rex Ryan firing Greg Roman.

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Not denying that Gruden will try to get rid of him. If not for anything else, it buys him 2 more years of excuses. 

Not if the guy who replaces him is a downgrade.  And FTR, that guy will not be Watson.