LOL...the Fish naming CO-offensive coordinators...

eball

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I hope you’re right.  I think he’s done a great job so far.  I don’t think starting Tua was a mistake for the franchise going forward.  It was a mistake if winning in 2020 was the only thing on his mind.....which I don’t think is the case.  He coaching long term and playing Tua was smart imo.  Fitz isn’t the answer and the best case scenario for that team was make the playoffs and lose in round 1.  

That is my view.  When he started Tua it should’ve been all about the future.  They should have thrown him out there to sink or swim. 

Miami fans will lead you to believe that he was coached conservatively.  I just think Chan called plays based on his ability - which at this point in his career is limited.

I thought that pulling Tua was a terrible idea.  Not keeping him on those situations eliminated any insight as to how he’d perform in those situations 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Story here.

Yeah, that's bound to work out well.  And the GM has already said Tua is the starter.

What is Flores smoking?  He arguably coached the Fish out of a playoff berth last season with his botching of the QB situation, and now he's on his 3rd/4th OC in three seasons.

This division should be the Bills' to own for years.

Don't Bet the Rent.  But it does seem like system set up to cause friction unless those guys really are best buds and joined at the hip.

It really comes down to this (from the article)

It's unclear at this stage how the play-calling will break down, but the Dolphins felt both Studesville and Godsey were strong internal candidates to take over for Chan Gailey.

You can have a run game coordinator and a pass game coordinator, but in the end "there can be only one".  Ya gotta have a singular vision for the game plan and one voice has to be calling the plays.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That’s a different situation.  No one has gone the co-coordinator route because it probably doesn’t work.

Miami interview some good candidates at OC like “Pep” Hamilton and Matt “Blame” Canada.  Glad they went with these two. Now, time to sell continuity to the fan base!

Well Pep is going to Houston as QB coach isn't he? I'm not a huge fan of his to be honest. His run as Colts OC was pretty brutal calling 7 step drops every snap with a line like swiss cheese. Canada got promoted with the Steelers which he was always likely to take. I am not saying they ended up with the ideal hire, they didn't. Mike McDaniel was the perfect guy for this offense and they failed to land him. I just don't think you can say "oh it doesn't work." Of course it can work. Will it? I have no idea, but it is clearly harder to make it work with two guys having to co-exist. 

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

From my friend in Miami: "Studesville will be run game coordinator, Godsey will be pass game coordinator, and whichever is the better play caller will call the games."

OK.....but how are they gonna decide on that last?  And then there's the question of who puts the game plan together and makes the final call on what plays are in it

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK.....but how are they gonna decide on that last?  And then there's the question of who puts the game plan together and makes the final call on what plays are in it

Exactly. This seems destined for failure. But hey. Better them than us. 

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well Pep is going to Houston as QB coach isn't he? I'm not a huge fan of his to be honest. His run as Colts OC was pretty brutal calling 7 step drops every snap with a line like swiss cheese. Canada got promoted with the Steelers which he was always likely to take. I am not saying they ended up with the ideal hire, they didn't. Mike McDaniel was the perfect guy for this offense and they failed to land him. I just don't think you can say "oh it doesn't work." Of course it can work. Will it? I have no idea, but it is clearly harder to make it work with two guys having to co-exist. 

I was pretty sure that USC under Pete Carroll had Steve Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin as co-OCs in 2005-2006. Wikkipedia shows Kiffin as OC and SS as assistant HC / QB Coach but I'm quite sure that at least the local papers always referred to them as co-OCs. Not saying it will work for the Fish, just saying I don't think this is really unprecedented (although it may be unprecedented in the pros).

1 minute ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I was pretty sure that USC under Pete Carroll had Steve Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin as co-OCs in 2005-2006. Wikkipedia shows Kiffin as OC and SS as assistant HC / QB Coach but I'm quite sure that at least the local papers always referred to them as co-OCs. Not saying it will work for the Fish, just saying I don't think this is really unprecedented (although it may be unprecedented in the pros).

Joe Brady was "co-OC" with LSU in 2019. Yes, more rare in the pros but as I say the 49ers basically had that the last 3 years and went to the Superbowl once with that setup. As long as there is one playcaller and everyone is clear who that man is and that between kick off and 00.00 he is the man that matters I don't think fundamentally it is anymore doomed to fail than any other approach. 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the game plan part is easier to overcome. The decision on who calls the plays is critical. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope you’re right.  I think he’s done a great job so far.  I don’t think starting Tua was a mistake for the franchise going forward.  It was a mistake if winning in 2020 was the only thing on his mind.....which I don’t think is the case.  He coaching long term and playing Tua was smart imo.  Fitz isn’t the answer and the best case scenario for that team was make the playoffs and lose in round 1.  

That's belied by putting in Fitz to salvage the Raiders game and a chance at the playoffs.  Since they missed the playoffs, they probably all hate Tua for blowing it against the Bills, not realizing that a) Fitz couldn't play anyway and b) if he had, he still would have lost.

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Someone should give Chan a shot with a real QB for once. Look at what he’s had to deal with over the years. 

He could be co-OC with Daboll...

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Makes total sense. One coordinator for Tua and when he craps the bed, one coordinator for Fitz

Not needed.  Fitz has more OC smarts that I would guess at least 7-8 OCs in the league right now.

AVP is a coordinator!---and he went to Pitt (which may or may not be the Harvard of Pittsburgh)...

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, eball said:

Story here.

Yeah, that's bound to work out well.  And the GM has already said Tua is the starter.

What is Flores smoking?  He arguably coached the Fish out of a playoff berth last season with his botching of the QB situation, and now he's on his 3rd/4th OC in three seasons.

This division should be the Bills' to own for years.

Sounds weird at first.

But seeing that Studesville was the run game guy last year makes it seem a bit more understandable.

I wonder if it'll work. Wouldn't mind if it causes problems.

I gave credit to Flores in the sense they drafted 11 players, had a bunch of free agents, and he managed to turn a 5 win team to a 10 win team in one year.  How he handled the QB situation made no sense.  Why he wouldn’t keep starting Fitz until we’ll he became Fitz.  They have had 1-2 more wins.  Now I don’t think they would’ve gone farther than the wildcard game, but at least they could’ve made it to the dance.

This idea is just not defendable.  The second coordinator should’ve been give another title and responsibilities.  He could’ve still consulted with the OC, but there needs to be clear succession.