[Vague Title] deion jones falcons

dbfla10

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more about this.  What criteria are you using to make that judgement?

For one thing, they play different positions on the D, correct?  MLB vs OLB.  The MLB is supposed to get the most tackles, correct? 

Dude has 11 INTS in his career and has made 5 housecalls, 2 in his rookie year and 1 each in the last 3 years...

Sign me up.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For one thing, they play different positions on the D, correct?  MLB vs OLB.  The MLB is supposed to get the most tackles, correct? 

Jones has mainly, though not exclusively, played as the mike, yep. He could play any of the 3 linebacker spots. Jones is one of the best linebackers in the NFL for my money. Tackling machine, can defense passes, forces turnovers, can rush the passer, scores on D also (think he has 5 or 6 career touchdowns). There are very few linebackers in the NFL. I have above him. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Its like comparing the tastiest shiniest apple with the tastiest shiniest orange and asking.. witch one is better. there is no simple answer the way your referencing tackles or even stats. Witch is the most Talented is easy.. Jones is.. and its not close.. Some times its not about stats... Its about who the player is.. The fit.

but what I disagree with is this observation... this conclusion that Edmunds would make a better OLB.  That means you have to cover more players... Did anyone on these boards see how badly Edmunds got blown up in coverage last game? he was like... Duh which way to I go George... Oh this way! to late...   I feel its a horrible narrative and there's little proof that he would be better at OLB on the NFL level.

5 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Would you trade this years #1 for Deion Jones and let Milano walk this year, and Edmunds walk next year? Falcons are in cap trouble and look like they are rebuilding.

I’d rather they try to get younger and bigger than to trade for Jones. Zaven Collins is my choice, 6’4”, 260lbs. If not, then Nick Bolton or Pete Werner later can play the Deion Jones role

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Teams rarely have a 1st round grade for a player that late in the round. Jones is by far better than any player the Bills could take at 30.. The window is now to make it to a SB.

Who said the window is now? Probably fans and the media.

What about McDermott and Beane preaching sustained success screams “the window is now to make it to a SB” ? 

14 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’d rather they try to get younger and bigger than to trade for Jones. Zaven Collins is my choice, 6’4”, 260lbs. If not, then Nick Bolton or Pete Werner later can play the Deion Jones role

I see you’ve joined the Zaven Collins fan club :) 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Would you trade this years #1 for Deion Jones and let Milano walk this year, and Edmunds walk next year? Falcons are in cap trouble and look like they are rebuilding.

Lol.....trade our 1st rd pick for a mlb making 15 mill a year???  

oh man.....

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I love the player but that is a wild idea.

Let Milano walk, move Edmunds outside. Edmunds may benefit from being able to think less and focus on using his rare size and speed. 

Find an instinctive field general and get them in the middle of that D. Preferably someone with elite physicality. 

I’m hoping every move on the D side of the ball is made to beat KC. If you want to play zone against Mahomes you better come up and hit his WR and TE. 

This.  

Find a true MLB.  

Find a TE.  

DE.  

Depth at CB. 

Speedster at RB

Thats offseason list.  

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Zaven was on my list of 5 targets at #30 for a live mock last night, even though my gut says his ideal fit is OLB in 3-4. Unfortunately he had gone before our pick. I know being at #30 is a good thing but for our chances to get a difference maker as a rookie it blows. We took Najee who was the only one of the 5 left but in a multiple round mock there I'd have traded out of the first altogether. As of today if there is a cost effective deal for a stud in his prime like Jones or like Diggs last year as a way of spending the #30 I am here for it. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Absolutely no.  Way too much money during a low cap year.

the Falcons signed linebacker Deion Jones to a four-year, $57 million extension that carries $34 million in guarantees. Jones is now under contact with the Falcons through the 2023 season. Under his new contract, he'll earn $14.3 million per season. Per Spotrac's database, his new average annual salary ranks second among all inside linebackers, only behind Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley, who earns $17 million under the contract he signed during free agency.

8 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Ive thought about Deion Jones in the Bills defense before.  He really is the perfect player.  I don’t really know why Atlanta would trade him but I feel he would fit in really well.  

I’m all for letting Edmunds walk.

For as much hate as Edmunds gets for playing soft against the run and now we want Jones? Great athletic linebacker but he’s not elite. Me personally, but I don’t trade any 1st rounder for someone who is not elite level. An elite pass rusher will have Edmunds and Klein looking like the ole 49ers Willis and bowman out there. 
Throw Bobby Wagner, Fred Warner and Devin white out and we’ll still get smoked in the pass game if we can’t get a solid rush. Deion jones. Nice player. Not gonna be a game changer 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I say this as a guy who had a 1st round grade on Deion Jones coming out of LSU and as someone who absolutely loves the player, so maybe I'm biased, but yes, I'd consider it. When you look at the cap number he'd bring across (about $8.5m this year and about $10m next year) it is very manageable. And I really don't know that I think the Bills are going to be in a spot at #30 to get anyone close to Jones as an impact player for 2021 or 2022. 

This is a great point.  The Bills 1st round pick is devalued--and there isn't anyone Beane is likely to find at 30 anything like Jones.  I mean, Beane's "first" pick last year was Epenesa--a dud in the 2nd.  

6 hours ago, Lothar said:

This may be crazy but would you trade Edmunds for Jones and sign Milano? 

No because of money concerns. I think you can trade for Jones now, with three years left on his deal (at $10m AAV) and structure a new deal for Edmunds in such a way as the money really comes on line as the Jones deal comes to an end. If you need to sign Milano now and trade for Jones your cap % invested in your two linebackers this year and next is going to be too high IMO. Also I think Edmunds is more fundamental to what the Bills want to do. 

20 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Teams rarely have a 1st round grade for a player that late in the round. Jones is by far better than any player the Bills could take at 30.. The window is now to make it to a SB.

how can you say that Nostradamus?