Bass onside kicks in playoffs

97bills

3 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I'd also like to see him perfect a kickoff that lands between the goal line and the 5. It's great that he can kick it out of the end zone at will, but why give the opponent a free start at the 25 every time? A surprise kick inside the 5 once in a while, pinning them inside the 10-15, could be a nice weapon at crucial times in games.

I mean there were several times they had him do that this year it varied depending on if we wanted them to return it.

Thanks for this thread because after seeing two kicks in a row that almost ended in the same results Bass might want to continue practicing this kick until his odds are significantly increased in comparison to league average. Do this kick out of the blue a few times. See what happens, is what I'm saying. So the opposition ends up with better field position facing a bend, but not break McD D. Allen will make up for it. Unpredictable is the name of the game. Chiefs just schooled Buffalo on it.

I think it can become another weapon in the McD/Daboll arsenal IMO.

Edited by Figster

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Even though he had a rough beginning I Billieved in him.

He has a cannon leg like Josh has a Howitzer arm  :) 

Maybe we can find a backup with both.  Really scare opposing special teams.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I wonder how much it will take to re-sign Bojo?

A lot more if they try to have contract with incentives since it will be hard to get them if we do not punt.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Figster said:

Thanks for this thread because after seeing two kicks in a row that almost ended in the same results Bass might want to continue practicing this kick until his odds are significantly increased in comparison to league average. Do this kick out of the blue a few times. See what happens, is what I'm saying. So the opposition ends up with better field position facing a bend, but not break McD D. Allen will make up for it. Unpredictable is the name of the game. Chiefs just schooled Buffalo on it.

I think it can become another weapon in the McD/Daboll arsenal IMO.

League average...for onside kicks?  I want to say it's about 10%.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Agreed. Once he learns that kicking the ball ABOVE the uprights leaves the good/no good call up to near-sighted (too nice?) refs, his FG game will be in good shape.

I'd also like to see him perfect a kickoff that lands between the goal line and the 5. It's great that he can kick it out of the end zone at will, but why give the opponent a free start at the 25 every time? A surprise kick inside the 5 once in a while, pinning them inside the 10-15, could be a nice weapon at crucial times in games.

Hey - this just reminded me, what was the basis of the one KO in the playoffs that hit on the goal line.  It had the KO returner stumped and the guy eventually tried running it out only to get tackled in terrible field position (for them).  They cut to commercial and then came back and gave it to the team at the 25.   They showed the replay with the ball hitting the goal line like that somehow justified the call (and gave no explanation).  I didn't understand why, in normal circumstances if you decide to take it out you have to live with the consequences. 

Is this just an annual playoff event now, screw the Bills each year in some manner on a kickoff?

I really wish that the Bills kicked the extra point to go down 16 and then after recovering the kick scored a TD. Even if they weren't able to get the ball back again it would have been fun to be down one score late in the game with a small chance. Both onside kicks were great KC just did a good job fielding the second one. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I really wish that the Bills kicked the extra point to go down 16 and then after recovering the kick scored a TD. Even if they weren't able to get the ball back again it would have been fun to be down one score late in the game with a small chance. Both onside kicks were great KC just did a good job fielding the second one. 

Watching Mahomes smug face go from glee to shock and horror would have been priceless

Kicker just kicked his ass...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Watching Mahomes smug face go from glee to shock and horror would have been priceless

Kicker just kicked his ass...

Hypothetically had the Bills kicked the extra point and gone down 16 and then scored a TD plus 2 points on the recovered on-sides kick the Bills would have had plenty of time left plus their timeouts down just 8. They wouldn't have needed a recovered kick to get the ball back down 8 as they could have gotten the ball back even if they gave up one first down (so some margin for error on the defense too.) It would have made the game much more interesting even if Mahomes just got 2 first downs and grinded down the clock. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I talk with him every morning....

image.png.e01c98e147999019f82503e182ac60fd.png

Great Secret Santa gift for work Xmas parties.  I’ve unfortunately been the recipient of it.

To the OP, that was a ice of you to notice and recognize Bass.  Just because he started out slowly, barring injuries, we have our kicker for another decade.

• Agree 1