Bass onside kicks in playoffs

97bills

I saw someone talking about him and got me thinking about those two onside kicks in the playoffs you couldn’t done it no better. At that moment even no we were losing I thought man this dude might be a serious weapon years to come. Happy for him and this team. 

• Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

the kid passed the test for the most part, making several 50+ yard kicks in Arizona and that 52 yarder against the Colts in WC game, no way House Money was going to make those...only going to get better and more consistent about those misses from the past year. great pick

Agreed. Once he learns that kicking the ball ABOVE the uprights leaves the good/no good call up to near-sighted (too nice?) refs, his FG game will be in good shape.

I'd also like to see him perfect a kickoff that lands between the goal line and the 5. It's great that he can kick it out of the end zone at will, but why give the opponent a free start at the 25 every time? A surprise kick inside the 5 once in a while, pinning them inside the 10-15, could be a nice weapon at crucial times in games.

While Frazier and Daboll get attention for HC jobs, quietly Heath Farwell is making a big difference on special teams. He also deserves credit on Bass, from what I recall he met with him just before Covid shut down everything in terms of in-person visits/pro days. Farwell's recommendation was a big reason they drafted him. It will be interesting to see Farwell's career trajectory, not a ton of special teams coordinators get head coaching jobs. The biggest names are John Harbaugh and of course Marv Levy, Joe Judge with Giants is the most recent. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Isn't it weird that the Patriots struck out at QB and Kicker the year the Bills hit gold with QB and Kicker? 2 things that were certain in New England. Good QB and Kicker for 20 years. 

We stole their punter too.

• Like (+1) 1

I've never understood why kickers don't just blast kicks off players on onside kicks. It's the best way to avoid the 10 yard thing because it would mean the other team already touched it and considering it would bounce backwards after hitting the player, it makes it a lot easier to recover. 

If I was a coach, I would just say "pick a guy and kick it at him"

Onside kicks are terrible

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I've never understood why kickers don't just blast kicks off players on onside kicks. It's the best way to avoid the 10 yard thing because it would mean the other team already touched it and considering it would bounce backwards after hitting the player, it makes it a lot easier to recover. 

If I was a coach, I would just say "pick a guy and kick it at him"

Onside kicks are terrible

Easier said than done perhaps???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Great to have Bass aboard.  The move to transition to him right away worked - credit to McD.  Looks like the kicker position is set for a good period of time now.

I think the covid thing was a help to Bass.  He clearly had the leg from day 1, but handling the pressure is an unknown.  Bass seemed to have some nerves early and has worked through it.  I think not having huge crowds lessened the pressure and may have helped him ease into the position.  He worked through those issues and hit some big ones in the playoffs.  He's a keeper.

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Easier said than done perhaps???

I agree....all the guy has to do is duck, and the ball is thirty yards down the field with no chance of recovery....and that’s assuming the kicker can be accurate enough to kick it directly at one player 10 to 20 yards away.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Special K said:

I agree....all the guy has to do is duck, and the ball is thirty yards down the field with no chance of recovery....and that’s assuming the kicker can be accurate enough to kick it directly at one player 10 to 20 yards away.

Or more likely out of bounds with the ensuing penalty and the possession in the hands of the opponent which certainly isn't what you want to happen.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Great to have Bass aboard.  The move to transition to him right away worked - credit to McD.  Looks like the kicker position is set for a good period of time now.

I think the covid thing was a help to Bass.  He clearly had the leg from day 1, but handling the pressure is an unknown.  Bass seemed to have some nerves early and has worked through it.  I think not having huge crowds lessened the pressure and may have helped him ease into the position.  He worked through those issues and hit some big ones in the playoffs.  He's a keeper.

There were long-snapping/holder issues.