The "Most Likely To" New HC game

GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Culley is intended as a bridge..... but I think that bridge is likely 2 years rather than 1.... 

Could be, but the Deshaun of it all makes me think if they're terrible again next year they'll fire Culley out of a cannon.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see that we are still over a week later deep in the autopsy of the Bills' playoff loss to the Chiefs. I understand that but to change it up a little bit here is a bit of fun thread we did a couple of years ago that I thought I'd revive. 

We have SEVEN new Head Coaches in the National Football League

Jaguars - Urban Meyer

Texans - David Culley

Jets - Robert Saleh

Chargers - Brandon Staley

Falcons - Arthur Smith

Lions - Dan Campbell

Eagles - Nick Sirianni

All you have to do is decide of those seven who is he "most likely" to do the following things.... 

Start someone other than his incumbent starting Quarterback* week 1:

Be a 'one and done' Head Coach:  Meyer.  I like him, but his QB is Minshew in this scenario.  He retires.  

Make the playoffs his first year:  Staley.  The team was really close last year.  If Herbert does not regress.  Other choice, Arthur Smith, Falcons also close to playoffs, NFC is weaker.  

Win NFL Coach of the Year at some point in his first 3 years:  Smith, Falcons.  If Ryan stays, I could see this team making a comeback.  

Win a Superbowl in the job to which he has just been hired:  Staley is on a team that is the closest, if somehow they get by KC and the Bills in the regular season.  

Become Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills at some point in the future:  None, but, okay, I'll play:  Meyer, he wants to coach with Allen.  

*for the purposes of this question the "incumbent starters" are: Minshew, Watson, Darnold, Herbert, Ryan, Goff, Hurts

I'll play.  Answers above.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Start someone other than his incumbent starting Quarterback* week 1: Urban Meyer will start Trevor Lawrence

Be a 'one and done' Head Coach: David Culley - that team out Jets the Jets

Make the playoffs his first year: Brandon Staley - Herbert looks really good

Win NFL Coach of the Year at some point in his first 3 years: Brandon Staley - Herbert will get better

Win a Superbowl in the job to which he has just been hired: Brandon Staley - Having a QB helps, Staley has one

Become Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills at some point in the future: David Culley - Familiar name and face

6 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Start someone other than his incumbent starting Quarterback* week 1: I think the Jags start a cheap vet week 1 and then turn it over to the GREATEST ROOKIE QB EVER around week 3. They should sign Tyrod, give him the starting job and wait for him to break his leg clipping his toenails or something.

Be a 'one and done' Head Coach: I'll say Culley for this. They'll grab a bunch of draft capital and then bring someone new in to coach it

Make the playoffs his first year: Staley all the way. Possibly Smith

Win NFL Coach of the Year at some point in his first 3 years: I'm going to say Staley after he gets the Chargers to the playoffs next year

Win a Superbowl in the job to which he has just been hired: None of them. But if I had to put a bet on it'd be Staley again

Become Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills at some point in the future: None. But if I had to bet... Smith.

First to get fined for chewing off someone's knee cap: too easy...

I mean... its not really tyrod's fault that he got his lung punctured by the chargers doctors.

One and Done:  Eagles - Nick Sirianni.  This was a panic hire by the Eagles and the team thinks they are getting a Frank Reich clone.   I don't think so.

Eagles won't do well and a "name" candidate will come available and that'll be it.  

Edited by dpberr

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Be a 'one and done' Head Coach: 

Make the playoffs his first year: 

Win NFL Coach of the Year at some point in his first 3 years: 

Win a Superbowl in the job to which he has just been hired: 

Become Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills at some point in the future: 

Nice idea for a thread. 

My picks

Start someone other than his incumbent starting Quarterback* week 1: Urban Meyer starting Trevor Lawrence - but if Lawrence already counts as incumbent, I'll go with the Jets.

Be a 'one and done' Head Coach: they will all get a bit of rope - so none of them will be one and done but there is a small chance Sirianni might be on the hotseat 

Make the playoffs his first year: Staley

Win NFL Coach of the Year at some point in his first 3 years: Staley

Win a Superbowl in the job to which he has just been hired: Staley

Become Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills at some point in the future: none of them McD will outlast em all

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see that we are still over a week later deep in the autopsy of the Bills' playoff loss to the Chiefs. I understand that but to change it up a little bit here is a bit of fun thread we did a couple of years ago that I thought I'd revive. 

Jaguars - Urban Meyer

Texans - David Culley

Jets - Robert Saleh

Falcons - Arthur Smith

Lions - Dan Campbell

Eagles - Nick Sirianni

All you have to do is decide of those seven who is he "most likely" to do the following things.... 

*for the purposes of this question the "incumbent starters" are: Minshew, Watson, Darnold, Herbert, Ryan, Goff, Hurts

This looks like fun so I'll give it a try.

Obviously the most likely to start a new quarterback is going to be Jacksonville starting Trevor Lawrence after they pick him first.

The most likely one and done is in Philadelphia, because their organization manages its team like fans and their last two head coaches have played in the Super Bowl and they fired both. Say what you will about Detroit and Atlanta, but we know ownership there is going to give their guys plenty of time.

I will choose Urban Meyer for the most likely to make the playoffs, mostly because the AFC South is not a great division. Houston is a mess, Indianapolis does not have a quarterback and Tennessee has tannehill. Trevor Lawrence coming in as a rookie is a better situation than the other two.

None of these guys are going to coach the bills because McDermott's going to be here for quite a while.

The most likely to win coach of the year is the Chargers, simply because they should improve with health given the talent base. I'd say the same thing about most likely Super Bowl win.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

This looks like fun so I'll give it a try.

Obviously the most likely to start a new quarterback is going to be Jacksonville starting Trevor Lawrence after they pick him first.

The most likely one and done is in Philadelphia, because their organization manages its team like fans and their last two head coaches have played in the Super Bowl and they fired both. Say what you will about Detroit and Atlanta, but we know ownership there is going to give their guys plenty of time.

I will choose Urban Meyer for the most likely to make the playoffs, mostly because the AFC South is not a great division. Houston is a mess, Indianapolis does not have a quarterback and Tennessee has tannehill. Trevor Lawrence coming in as a rookie is a better situation than the other two.

None of these guys are going to coach the bills because McDermott's going to be here for quite a while.

The most likely to win coach of the year is the Chargers, simply because they should improve with health given the talent base. I'd say the same thing about most likely Super Bowl win.

It is two of Philly's last 3 with Chip in between, but I take the point. Like your reasoning generally. 

Not wanting to derail my own thread but given a lot of people are refusing to pick on the "coach the Bills option" and I get it, I think McD is here for a long time too I am a huge McD homer and he was my guy in that 2017 hiring season. But I wonder where people would put the over/under on how many more seasons McDermott will coach in Buffalo? I feel like either 3.5 or 4.5 is where you'd put the number and I'd bet the over... anyone think the bookmakers would set the line higher than that?

I think Staley will make the Playoffs his first year and win a Super Bowl eventually (if any of them do). 

He has the QB.    And some studs on defense already.   The roster is pretty good.

Culley may be one and done.

Lawrence will start at QB week one

and I don't think any of those guys will ever coach the Bills.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jaguars - Urban Meyer

Texans - David Culley

Jets - Robert Saleh

Falcons - Arthur Smith

Lions - Dan Campbell

Eagles - Nick Sirianni

Culley. Watson likely will be gone.

Urban. He retired from a relatively cushy college job due to health concerns from working too much and stress. That is amplified 20x in the NFL.

Brandon Staley. Chargers have a good roster and a very good young franchise QB.

Brandon Staley. I think they could challenge the Chiefs within a few years for the division.

Brandon Staley. All starts at QB and the Chargers have the best of the bunch by far outside of Watson but he likely won't be there much longer.

Robert Saleh. Has the same type of makeup as McD does it seems.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is two of Philly's last 3 with Chip in between, but I take the point. Like your reasoning generally. 

Not wanting to derail my own thread but given a lot of people are refusing to pick on the "coach the Bills option" and I get it, I think McD is here for a long time too I am a huge McD homer and he was my guy in that 2017 hiring season. But I wonder where people would put the over/under on how many more seasons McDermott will coach in Buffalo? I feel like either 3.5 or 4.5 is where you'd put the number and I'd bet the over... anyone think the bookmakers would set the line higher than that?

I forgot about Chip Kelly, but I think that's fair.

As far as McDermott goes, he's 46 and I think he will be here as long as he wants. I Iake to the Steelers philosophy that you don't fire people who are good.