Why Mahomes is Mahomes

zow2

On 2/1/2021 at 1:57 PM, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Just because he's likable, that doesn't mean it's not arrogance. If Brady says the exact same things, we start praying the words get lodged in his throat, and he dies of asphyxiation.

Is this a thing? Can this really happen? 🙏

If so, do you think they’ll sell tickets to it? 🤔

1 hour ago, Billl said:

He’s not Kelce nor Hill, but he had more receiving yards in the postseason than anyone else.  He had 14 receptions on 18 targets for an average of 16 yards every time they threw him the ball.  At that pace, he’d have had 1,536 yards over a full season.  That’s exactly 1 more than Diggs had this year.  Hardly “WR2 stats”.

I guess we have some Sammy truthers here.  What’s next bringing up his value as a decoy?  Some things never change.  

I was responding to the ridiculous comments where someone put Sammy in the same category as Kelcie and Hill

Then you said he “went off” in a postseason game.  I have the stats to show the the didn’t.  He took advantage as a deep threat playing as the 3rd (or sometimes 4th) option in an offense with Hill and Kelcie. 

Sammy at best is a #2.  He was supposed to be Tyreek Hill.  Not the guy who benefits from Hill’s attention 

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

On the 'statue' thing, Marino was no Deadsloe:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/12/remembering-dan-marinos-incredible-streak-of-759-passes-without-a-sack/

"

Dan Marino owns the NFL record for consecutive games and consecutive passes without a sack, and no other quarterback before or since has ever even been in the same ballpark. Marino got sacked on September 25, 1988 in Indianapolis. He then played 19 consecutive games without getting sacked. He wasn’t sacked again until October 29, 1989 in Buffalo. Between sacks, he threw an incredible 759 passes.

To throw 759 passes without getting sacked is such an insane record that it looks like a typo. The team that has allowed the fewest sacks this year is the Saints, and Drew Brees has been sacked nine times while throwing 304 passes. Marino threw two and a half times that many passes and wasn’t sacked even once.

Marino was well known for his quick release during his time as the Dolphins’ quarterback, and he could get the ball out so quickly that opposing defenses never stood a chance. For 19 straight games, no one could bring him down."

Can we please stop anointing every current player the greatest, please...

Interestingly, that two-year stretch was the worst two year run record-wise for the Dolphins over the course of Marino's entire career (14-18). The Dolphins went 9-10 over the course of that no-sack streak and he threw 33 interceptions in those 19 games. Maybe he should have taken some more sacks!

Edited by dave mcbride

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The highlighted is entirely false.    I've heard you state before that the Bills hired McDermott "right before the draft".   Wrong.   He was hired in early January like virtually every new HC and staff are.   Rex Ryan was fired in-season so it wasn't exactly a hurried hiring situation.   And to be clear, at no point before the 2017 draft had they indicated they would not be drafting a QB nor was it public knowledge that Whaley was a lame duck GM.

Those are all post-draft narratives.

The Bills made a series of poor decisions.........they should have just hired Beane with McDermott and gone to work on evaluating and drafting a QB...........like franchises normally do.    It never made any sense whatsoever to wait.   It made LESS sense for a perennial playoff team in KC with a respected QB to be pursuing a rookie QB than it did the Bills. 

Does anyone have any idea who made the ultimate decision in giving Reid #10?  IF it was McDermott I've always wondered if it was a little payback since I'm sure that Reid wrote him a letter of recommendation when he was applying for head coaching position, since he is part of the Reid tree.  I think by most accounts, Mahomes was not considered a blue chipper at the time - say like Elway, Marino, Manning, etc.  IF if was McDermott making or influencing the decision, I'm sure that Reid sends him a big fat birthday gift every year.  Has anyone ever asked McDermott about it??  Go BIlls.

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Does anyone have any idea who made the ultimate decision in giving Reid #10?  IF it was McDermott I've always wondered if it was a little payback since I'm sure that Reid wrote him a letter of recommendation when he was applying for head coaching position, since he is part of the Reid tree.  I think by most accounts, Mahomes was not considered a blue chipper at the time - say like Elway, Marino, Manning, etc.  IF if was McDermott making or influencing the decision, I'm sure that Reid sends him a big fat birthday gift every year.  Has anyone ever asked McDermott about it??  Go BIlls.

Nobody here seemed to think Andy Reid won that trade.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

4 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

The guy has total self confidence which is something Allen doesn't have.  You can see that in his eyes.

You don't think Allen has self confidence?

Gotta disagree on that one.  Allen plays w/ almost 100% confidence, imo.  I never see him really hesitate.

2 hours ago, Ga boy said:

If you’re going to throw out baseless conspiracy theories they should at least be believable. Everyone knows who made the ultimate decision...

image.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

Nobody here seemed to think Andy Reid won that trade.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

You have to cut Bills fans some slack. This was still in the dark days of thinking first round picks and not QB play were important. 

Some have come around with trading up with Allen. Even more with the Diggs trade. 

But there are still some poor souls out there rubbing their hands together in anticipation that drafting the 4th best DB prospect at pick 30 will our salvation. 

Pity them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Reid fired McDermott in Philly.

To add insult to injury he replaced him as Eagles DC with OL coach Juan Castillo.

If I was McDermott I'd have never spoken to that assh*le Reid again.:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JohnNord said:

When he’s healthy he’s a good 3rd option on a team with Travis Kelcie and Tyreek Hill.  Sammy never “went off” in a playoff game.  He did put up WR2 stats.  

2 catches for 76 yards against Houston 

7 catches for 114 yards and a TD in the AFC Championship game. 

5 catches for 98 yards in the Super Bowl.

Putting him on the same level as Kelcie or Hill is straight up goofy.

I never put him on their level lol. I simply added him as a weapon. 

If you seriously don't think the bolded is "going off" in a play off game, you're silly. If Diggs did that, we'd be ecstatic. I'm not putting him on their level but denying him as a threat, and saying he put up good WR2 numbers when he put up Diggs numbers in the AFC Champ is silly. 

When he's healthy he's undeniably a threat.

On 01/02/2021 at 8:25 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

#87 and #10

And Andy Reid has pretty much always had good QB's and offenses. He made McNabb a star. Alex Smith had a career year with Reid, Kelce and Hill. 

Yes, Mahomes is talented in his own right but he's been eating from a golden plate since day 1.

Mahomes is extremely talented in his own right. 

On 2/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

#87 and #10

And Andy Reid has pretty much always had good QB's and offenses. He made McNabb a star. Alex Smith had a career year with Reid, Kelce and Hill. 

Yes, Mahomes is talented in his own right but he's been eating from a golden plate since day 1.

What Reid did with McNabb was amazing. The guy was not that accurate. 

Only Philly would run him out of town!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

That trade thread from 2017 is really painful to read now.  Thank God that Allen has turned out to be so good, or I might be suicidaly depressed watching Mahomes play.

True.  I can't imagine how it would be if Allen had turned out more like a Trubisky or something.

But he didn't.  Leading up to this past AFCCG, there was a legit discussion as to whether Allen was just as good as Mahomes, or even better.  In hot-take nation, that notion is of course scrapped now, because Mahomes "beat" Allen (even though they're not on the field at the same time), and looked better doing so.

But Mahomes' team was better than Allen's team in this one.  And while Allen was running from pressure all night and struggling to find even one open receiver, Mahomes had it pretty easy in the pocket and had open guys all over the place.

Let's see how things look in 5 years or 10.  It's a good bet they'll have more match-ups like the one last Sunday.  

His father was a pro pitcher.  His natural ability is unreal.  I would argue there has never been a better landing spot for a rookie qb to enter the league into.  The convergance of all these factors have made a perfect storm.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, zow2 said:

Saw him in an interview, and he's talking about how cool it would be to be the repeat champs, etc..  He's excited for it.  He wasn't being cocky or arrogant, but he just has a confidence and swag about him.  The guy is not rattled whatsoever by the big stage and the big moment.  He knows going in that he will play well, it's not even a question.  That combined with his arm, athletic ability and QB IQ, is a pretty lethal combination.  

Brady has a way of rattling you. If Brady is on, Mahomes will have to match scores. The Bucs defense in my opinion with Vea Vita is the best Mahomes will see this year. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

59 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Brady has a way of rattling you. If Brady is on Mahomes will have to match scores. The Bucs defense in my opinion with Vea Vita is the best Mahomes will see this year. 

Mahomes threw for 462 and 3TDs in the regular season matchup. 

That was the game where Hill had 269 yards receiving!

Edited by Sundancer