Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Money wasn't his big issue in High School?

I did not know him personally but the majority of his high school comes from well off parents. His high school pulls from neighborhoods that former athletes live in. I doubt money was an issue to him like so many NFL players.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Every player should say he wants top dollar since it is a cutthroat business but from what I have heard about him from his high school coaches he values winning as much as money, so he is likely to take less than top dollar to stay on a good team.

What high school? 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, gonzo1105 said:

I think were gonna see both Milano and Daryl Williams go. They are going to get big money elsewhere. It seems to mean Beane will be digging into bargains/cut players this year. This is the beginning of the replacing Free Agents with "Draft well" guys.

I got a feeling that if we re-sign Williams, he’s going to regress. 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:21 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

Appreciate the story.  Just seems strange that the Bills and Milano skipped right to Milano is testing free agency more than 3 weeks from free agency.  I guess that implies Bills won’t be using franchise or transition tag on him and that they’re done negotiating if they had any negotiations at all.  Not familiar with any other high profile free agents across the League where this has been publicly stated except for Milano. Why would Beane give other teams a 3 week head start on knowing Milano is gonna be available if Beane has any interest in retaining him?  Bye Matt.  

My guess is the Bills decided Milano is not a gotta keep player regardless of the cost.  So they decided to let him get an offer or two and then circle back to the Bills and see what they are willing to offer him. 

It reminds me of Shaq Lawson last year.  The Bills wanted Shaq back but were only willing to go so high and Miami offered him more money.  Milano is likely leaving because some team will offer him a contract that Bills can't/won't match.

Edited by DCbillsfan

On 22/02/2021 at 10:38 AM, Thurman#1 said:

And the reason you can't be great at every position has a lot more to do with human fallibility than money.

No it isn't. It's money. It's why a rookie QB contract is the best time to win a SuperBowl. 

Virtually every SuperBowl winner with a 2nd contract QB has some obvious roster flaw, there isn't enough cap money not to. 

Its why paying for competent but not elite QBs puts teams into mediocrity cycles. 

The Milano issue is also made easier by this year's draft. There are plenty of options, its one of the better positions this year. Every position ranking article I've seen has it in the top half this year

Edited by Mountain Man

20 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

No it isn't. It's money. It's why a rookie QB contract is the best time to win a SuperBowl. 

Virtually every SuperBowl winner with a 2nd contract QB has some obvious roster flaw, there isn't enough cap money not to. 

Its why paying for competent but not elite QBs puts teams into mediocrity cycles

No, it isn't money. It's human fallibility. A perfect GM who always made the exact correct pick every round and brought in the best possible bargains at FA would in a not very long time end up winning most Super Bowls.

And if rookie QB contracts are the best time to win a Super Bowl, how come most Super Bowls are not won by QBs on rookie contracts? How come no QBs on rookie contracts even made the SB this year?  Obviously, a rookie contract for your QB helps you financially, but 

And paying for competent but not elite QBs can either put your team into mediocrity cycles or win you Super Bowls (Nick Foles' Philly contract when the Eagles won behind Wentz and Foles, for example, or when Denver won with Peyton well beyond his elite years, or paying for Eli Manning who was a very good QB but certainly never elite).

Paying too much for a QB is an excellent example of human fallibility. It often means a GM is desperate to post a winning record the next year or two in a poorly guided mission to keep his job.

Don't get me wrong, the cap is huge, I get that. But my post you replied to said that the reason you can't "be great at every position" was human fallibility rather than money, and that's correct. GM fallibility for bringing in the wrong guys and player fallibility for not maximizing themselves. Imagine if you could've put Josh Allen's brain inside JaMarcus Russell. Carson Wentz begins to look like a guy who could also stand a brain transfusion from a great QB, though it's still early enough that he's got a chance to be great. Even the teams with the best salary cap situations can't address every position well enough to be great at every position, or even close.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:09 PM, colin said:

never say never

It ain't us, it's the coaching staff. They drafted him and immediately declared him MLB and they've backed that up ever since.

It's nutsy fans who want him to change in Buffalo. It's not the Bills.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He just posted two things on Instagram:

1) himself at Papi's Steakhouse in Miami with a yacht salesman (like literally - tagged guy who is identified as a yacht salesman)

This is Milano's dream. ⬆️
This is the probable reality. ⬇️
image.jpeg.66034f25edb4d87c31b7375c81b26cbf.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

This is Milano's dream. ⬆️
This is the probable reality. ⬇️
image.jpeg.66034f25edb4d87c31b7375c81b26cbf.jpeg

Why do people post this stuff? 

Even as a 5th round draft choice on a rookie deal, Milano reportedly has earned $4M in the last 4 years.  That puts him in the top 0.07% of the US population.  Even if he doesn't get the top-10 LB contract of his dreams, he can buy a damned fine boat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do people post this stuff? 

Even as a 5th round draft choice on a rookie deal, Milano reportedly has earned $4M in the last 4 years.  That puts him in the top 0.07% of the US population.  Even if he doesn't get the top-10 LB contract of his dreams, he can buy a damned fine boat.

Understood, and I am not understating his value as a player.  I was just enjoying the fact that earlier in the thread it was mentioned that perhaps Milano's agent might be inflating his worth.  I projected it out as therefore inflating Milano's expectations regarding his range of boats available.  Perhaps I should have Googled something other than 'guy eating sandwich in boat'. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Understood, and I am not understating his value as a player.  I was just enjoy the fact that earlier in the thread it was mentioned that perhaps Milano's agent might be inflating his worth.  I projected it out as therefore inflating Milano's expectations regarding his range of boats available.  Perhaps I should have Googled something other than 'guy eating sandwich in boat'. 😁

I suppose it's just my personal tick when people start talking about players who get cut after a fully- or partly-guaranteed rookie contract as bound for "flipping burgers" or something. 

It's certainly true that guys who dedicated themselves to the craft of football in college, didn't obtain a degree or any useful skills, and didn't make it in the NFL might wind up working minimum wage jobs. Guys who come into the NFL like Vince Young and spend big money buying cars and flashy diamond-studded jewelry might wind up there.

But guys who actually make it to the NFL, even as a practice squad member, are doing OK.  Rookies who go through training camp and are signed to the practice squad earn around $150,000 (plus room board and travel pre-season, and food during the season).  That puts them in the 90+ percentile for all US workers, and certainly at the top edge for guys fresh out of college, where the average starting salary is $50,000.

In his Tim Graham and Friends podcast when he interviewed Jon Feliciano who was sitting on his patio outside in Florida, Graham nagged him to pan around his yard and show it and asked him if it was his new house.  Mongo has a beautiful high-roofed patio with nice furniture and shade curtains, and a large in-ground pool, but nothing too "ultra" by well-to-do S. Florida standards. 

Graham commented that people would think he doesn't need a big contract since he's already got all that. 

I thought it was an ultra-tacky comment by Graham, especially after Jon Zoomed in to talk to him and he persuaded Jon to forfeit some privacy and show him.

Again, just my personal tick, your post isn't any more "extra" than a lot here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Interestingly enough, there is a former Bill (I'm reluctant to give name) who specializes in making sure that the Mongo's, Milanos, and others maintain the wealth they accumulate as active players.

He tries to get to them early. By all accounts, he's been very successful w athletes and their financial planning.

My sense is that players trust him because, in fact, he played, and he's damn good at what he does (and really a good dude on top of it all).

Hopefully, all our young players turn to this guy (or others like him) so there is no DT situation down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

Lots of Milano hate on here. Cant blame the guy for wanting to get top dollar. Meanwhile there was so much love for Watt, who already made his millions during his career.  This is Milano’s shot to make it count. Hopefully we’re able to bring him back but if it doesnt work out then wish him the best. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2