Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

With what money? He took a prove it deal and will now get a massive contract. Someone will easily outbid the Bills for him. He is a decent starting tackle, someone will offer crazy money. 

With the money we are going to get from reworking Morse contract and not signing John Feliciano

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What is wrong with the one we have?  Just resign Williams

He may not be the best run blocking RT but his mad skills on pass pro may overcome that.

The point being made is that signing Daryl Williams will require us to use some of the cap dollars we free up by cutting or restructuring last seasons' big-signing and underperforming DLmen (and then we may have to backfill there) - we can't just use it all to sign Milano and Watt as is being suggested here.

40 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

With the money we are going to get from reworking Morse contract and not signing John Feliciano

We don't GET any money from not signing Jon Feliciano - he's a FA and not counted against our current just-at-the-cap

Reworking Morse will give us perhaps $3M

Williams will probably command top-10 RT money, $8-11M/yr

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He may not be the best run blocking RT but his mad skills on pass pro may overcome that.

The point being made is that signing Daryl Williams will require us to use some of the cap dollars we free up by cutting or restructuring last seasons' big-signing and underperforming DLmen (and then we may have to backfill there) - we can't just use it all to sign Milano and Watt as is being suggested here.

Right on. His run blocking is the one thing that gives me slight pause in paying him. If we do move on though I hope they have a backup plan in free agency. This past seasons run blocking has made me feel less of a man lol.

Just now, TheBeaneBandit said:

Right on. His run blocking is the one thing that gives me slight pause in paying him. If we do move on though I hope they have a backup plan in free agency. This past seasons run blocking has made me feel less of a man lol.

I'm pretty sure they have several layers of plans.  We just have to hope they're good plans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColeB said:

Milano will end up with the Patriots.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's their best fit.  I would guess Jaguars or possibly Washington Football Team.  Jaguars have crazy cap space, they're rebuilding, and they're about to get their hoped-for Franchise Boy QB on a cheap deal for 4 years.

I will say this:

Milano is absolutely persuaded he's Getting Paid what he wants, with terms he wants, by someone. 

The man hardly ever posts on Instagram or Twitter. 

He just posted two things on Instagram:

1) himself at Papi's Steakhouse in Miami with a yacht salesman (like literally - tagged guy who is identified as a yacht salesman)

2) This photo of Steve Martin and Michael Caine from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

image.png.5b110cc79e7c28aaa9d786b5527b302c.png

Now there's nothing wrong with being in Miami and having dinner with a yacht salesman.  Nothing wrong with posting an iconic movie photo.

No tampering, nothing to see here.

Message seems damned clear when you know Milano's minimalist social media posting history

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Message seems damned clear when you know Milano's minimalist social media posting history

What are Milano/agent thinking?  How would anyone think this is a good message to send? 

It might be a fun thing to send to friends/family/old coworkers - but for the general public it doesn't play well (and who wouldn't think this would get out).

23 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

Milano is a big loss without a doubt. He is a difference maker. Depressing to lose him because, like Shaq and Phillips, there's no amount of sugar coating that can get around the fact that when you lose play makers on defense the defense gets worse.  

You cannot pay everyone. And It gets worse only if you don’t adequately replace them. Losing Shaq and Phillips wasn’t the issue. Replacing them with the right players on the DL (and to a bigger degree losing Star to Covid opt out, something no one could have predicted when FA signings Were taking place last offseadon) was the issue. If they knew Star wouldn’t be there, would they have made those same 3 signings of Addison, Q and butler? Maybe, maybe not. They weren’t terrible but they weren’t great, the loss of Star contributed to Oliver having to play out of position at 1 tech and even Q at 1 tech at times. Paying Shaq and Phillips would not have made much difference to the DL with this same issue imo. 

A good FO doesn’t overpay for non elite, non core players. An all pro corner, a LT, a QB, back up the brinks. In this case though they should be able to draft a replacement that can step in, there are day 2 LBs that were better than Milano in college, and are projected to start day 1. it’s up to the FO to pick the right one for what they want to do on D and then develop him properly in the system. This is all to say that you should offer Milano a contract because he’s been good in this defense. And I believe they have, based on Beane’s comments. But you do not overpay above the value you’ve placed on him because that shows you fear you cannot replace him. That should never be the case at Off-ball LB because it says you don’t trust your scouts. This not a premium position. This is the exact type of position you don’t overpay for when building a team. jmo  

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's their best fit.  I would guess Jaguars or possibly Washington Football Team.  Jaguars have crazy cap space, they're rebuilding, and they're about to get their hoped-for Franchise Boy QB on a cheap deal for 4 years.

I will say this:

Milano is absolutely persuaded he's Getting Paid what he wants, with terms he wants, by someone. 

The man hardly ever posts on Instagram or Twitter. 

He just posted two things on Instagram:

1) himself at Papi's Steakhouse in Miami with a yacht salesman (like literally - tagged guy who is identified as a yacht salesman)

2) This photo of Steve Martin and Michael Caine from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

image.png.5b110cc79e7c28aaa9d786b5527b302c.png

Now there's nothing wrong with being in Miami and having dinner with a yacht salesman.  Nothing wrong with posting an iconic movie photo.

No tampering, nothing to see here.

Did you see Milano's agent's lips move? 🤔

😁

33 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It might be a fun thing to send to friends/family/old coworkers - but for the general public it doesn't play well (and who wouldn't think this would get out).

Maybe Gregg Williams went into PR?  Seems like his 'subtle hand'. 😁

49 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What are Milano/agent thinking?  How would anyone think this is a good message to send? 

Well, it's on his Instagram feed, which is not private....so of course it's intended to get out.

Call me naive if you like, but how is this a bad message to send?  The plausible deniability is strong with this one.  He's thinking about buying a boat.  He just re-watched that movie.

Everyone and his Cat knows that at the Senior Bowl in January and combine in February, agents and front office people have drinks and dinner and, in a perfectly hypothetical way of course, chat about what their clients want/what teams are willing to pay for a free agent of similar abilities.  Most deals are brokered informally well before the start of the "Legal Tampering" period.

I think the point of the Wawrow/AP article (whether it came from the Bills, or from Milano's camp) was that Milano's camp politely let the Bills know what they thought they'd lined up so that the Bills could match, and the Bills said "sorry, no can do, Godspeed!"

• Agree 1

On 2/21/2021 at 4:38 PM, Mountain Man said:

It's the reality of having a franchise QB to pay. You have to make compromises and take risks. 

Its why on paper contending teams often have weaker looking teams than bad teams. 

Milano is a loss, but that's the reality now. You can't be great at every position AND pay a QB. Look at the Saints, Packers, Patriots even the Chiefs in recent years, all have had obvious roster flaws. 

Welcome to the reality of being a SuperBowl contender

This is an excellent case of pre-hatch chicken counting.

Milano's loss isn't a reality. It's a possibility. It's probably the best guess but it won't be the reality till he signs a new contract with another team.

And we haven't paid Allen, nor are we likely to give him a contract this year that will cost much of anything at all in 2021.. Big bucks after that? Yeah, seems very likely, but neither side will want the Bills to pay many cap bucks in 2021.

And the reason you can't be great at every position has a lot more to do with human fallibility than money. The Eagles weren't perfect at every position either, but they won without paying huge money to a QB (Wentz was on a 4 year $26 million contract).

On 2/21/2021 at 5:24 PM, John from Riverside said:

What is wrong with the one we have?  Just resign Williams

Might easily be too expensive to be a good decision. But if possible at a sensible value, sure, re-sign him.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is an excellent case of pre-hatch chicken counting.

Milano's loss isn't a reality. It's a possibility. It's probably the best guess but it won't be the reality till he signs a new contract with another team.

And we haven't paid Allen, nor are we likely to give him a contract this year that will cost much of anything at all in 2021.. Big bucks after that? Yeah, seems very likely, but neither side will want the Bills to pay many cap bucks in 2021.

And the reason you can't be great at every position has a lot more to do with human fallibility than money. The Eagles weren't perfect at every position either, but they won without paying huge money to a QB (Wentz was on a 4 year $26 million contract).

Might easily be too expensive to be a good decision. But if possible at a sensible value, sure, re-sign him.

You may think it's not predetermined....but it is.

Beane used the same language and almost the same words last year about Lawson and Phillips.

He will not be paying market value for Milano and our young yacht shopper will not be anchoring in the Buffalo Marina. 

7 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

Isn't Milano the minimalist who lives on peanut butter and tuna, sleeps on a cot, and fits all his clothes into a backpack?

Looks like he'll be stepping up to albacore.

Perhaps he's an ironist, too?

Stepping into albacore: the life and times of millionaire pro athlete Mathew Milano

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

You may think it's not predetermined....but it is.

Beane used the same language and almost the same words last year about Lawson and Phillips.

He will not be paying market value for Milano and our young yacht shopper will not be anchoring in the Buffalo Marina. 

It was a yacht. But it was a simple yacht. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Draft Milanos replacement and use the savings on a OL that can run block 

OLB has historically been one of the easiest positions to transition to the NFL.  Most times, you can get 5 good value years (1st round picks) out of LBs.