Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Just like when Arizona overpaid for Philips and just like when the saints overpaid for Byrd. This is one of the reasons I don’t respect the players of today vs the NFL players from back in the day. It’s all about the money now and less about wanting to win and bringing good culture to the locker rooms. 

Also That’s not an excuse for Philips playing like Crap in Arizona. I’m glad Beane didn’t overpay for him like other on here wanted. Look at his stats for this year vs his last year in Buffalo. It wasn’t him it was the system here that helped him. Take him out of the system and you get the same old Philips from Miami

For one thing, I don't blame men who put their physical health on the line for wanting to get the most money they possibly can for them and their families. Playing football is a JOB, after all. I'm guessing you wouldn't knowingly take much less than you're worth in YOUR occupation just to "support a good culture".

Another thing: Players "back in the day" literally did not even have the option to go anywhere else. Free agency didn't exist. It was either take what you're offered and play for your team, or don't play at all. 

If a free agent is weighing a few options and the money difference between Team A and Team B is negligible, then sure, leave a little money on the table to stick with or move to the team with the best chance of winning and the good culture. If it's a BIG difference, though, and this is maybe your one and only shot to secure a life changing contract that can set your family and your children and their children up for life? I can't blame these men one bit for thinking family first.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tortured Soul said:

Story says nothing about whether the Bills will use the tag, right?

I dont believe it does.  But the franchise tag for Milano is somewhere north of 15 million dollars.   No way the Bills can swing that, nor should they.   He is a good football player but those contract estimates that have him in the 14 milllion dollar range are absolutely bloated.   Given his inability to stay on the field, I wouldnt pay him a penny over 10, and even that is a bit of an overpay.

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont believe it does.  But the franchise tag for Milano is somewhere north of 15 million dollars.   No way the Bills can swing that, nor should they.   He is a good football player but those contract estimates that have him in the 14 milllion dollar range are absolutely bloated.   Given his inability to stay on the field, I wouldnt pay him a penny over 10, and even that is a bit of an overpay.

Transition tag him then?

Milano doesn't deserve top dollar and the team that pays him at that level will be disappointed. His cover skills are not as good as the Warners, Whites, David's and Leonard's of the world and his run defense is not as good as Van Noy , Queen or even Demario Davis. QB pressure is not on par with Barrett, Ingraham, TJ Watt or many of the guys mentioned already. Why waste all that cap space on a oft injured, not overly physical, good LB.

• Like (+1) 2

4 catches 74 yards.  Rams TDs.

9 catches 88 yards.  Darren Waller.

16 targets 14 catches 1 TD 136 yards.

Colts TEs in the playoff game.  

13 Catches 118 yards 2 TDs 

Travis Kelce AFC Championship.

Often hurt. 

But definitely made the D better vs mediocre to decent offenses.

We thank you for your service Matt it's just a money issue.

Our D needs upgrades at more important positions.   

• Like (+1) 1

There was a story about Milano a year ago saying he doesn't care about money, he only wears plain white t-shirts & has almost no furniture in his home, minimalist everything, etc. Now after another injury-plagued year, he wants to be one of the higher paid LBs or bust? This could just be his agent talking.

29 minutes ago, 947 said:

There was a story about Milano a year ago saying he doesn't care about money, he only wears plain white t-shirts & has almost no furniture in his home, minimalist everything, etc. Now after another injury-plagued year, he wants to be one of the higher paid LBs or bust? This could just be his agent talking.

Could be a respect thing. Just because you don't spend a lot doesn't mean money doesn't mean a lot also. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

In fairness, Milano hasn't exactly been breaking the bank on his rookie deal.

Under normal circumstances, I think the Bills would be happy to give him a long term deal at good money, i.e. the $10 -12 million per range.

That might have been enough to keep him.

As things stand, I feel his desire to maximise his $, is more a function of the fact that he hasn't earned that much so far, relatively speaking, and he knows the Bills can't really afford to pay him in the range he deserves.

That's neither his fault, or the Bills.

Ultimately, this next contract, is his future, and his overall performances mean he deserves a shot at the best one he can get.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

we need to move Tremaine to OLB and sign a true MLB that is younger than Klein. Or Draft a true MLB.  

I do believe Tremaine would be better fit OLB as many believe in here.  

I agree as well but this administration are too proud/bullheaded to admit to that error. Sucks.😡

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Maybe the injuries made him realize how everything could be over in a second.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I don't think it said he didn't care about money. 

It said he was a minimalist in his possessions and decor.

Different.

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Timing is kind of weird on this story.  Free agency is still 4 weeks away.  Either Bills have no interest in bringing him back or they are so far apart in negotiations they’ve mutually decided to move on.  

It's hard to see it as "so far apart mutually decided....".....

Formally other teams can't negotiate, of course the agents and the gm's/staff from different teams chat at the Sr Bowl and so forth...but until an actual offer is in hand, it's hard to say for sure what "far apart" really looks like, because the devil is in the details with all these player contracts.

So I agree, the timing is weird