Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Weakside 4-3 bakers are not usually market setters.  Im skeptical he pulls anything over 10 a year.

If Milano were an elite coverage LB I think he could push to 10-11 million per. Brandon Marshall was mostly known as a coverage LB and pulled in 8 million a year for 4 seasons in 2016 when the cap was set at 155 million or roughly 5% of the cap. 5% of a 180 million dollar cap would be 9 million which would allow Milano to not have to overreach that much to get into the 10ish million range.

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Weakside 4-3 bakers are not usually market setters.  Im skeptical he pulls anything over 10 a year.

I see your point, and I don't think he's gonna be a market-setter either.  But if he goes for $56M, $14M/yr that wouldn't be market-setting either - would slot him in between Deion Jones and Kwon Alexander as 6th-7th paid - top 10 but not top 5.

I mention Deion Jones and Kwon Alexander specifically because  when I looked into injury history at the point of signing a contract, both had missed comparable or more time than Milano.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I would put D.Williams as being harder to replace. But Milano isn't too far behind. And I agree Milano is a very good player. But when everyone is in a cap crunch it depresses the market for all players. And that makes it harder for a guy like Milano who isn't a pass rusher and isn't dynamic in coverage. I think this might actually work to the Bills benefit in keeping Milano. If his best offers are 2-3 year deals in the 8-9 million dollar aav range then he might just take a one year deal in the 8-9 million dollar range with the Bills and go after another bite at the apple when the cap hopefully expands in 2022.

I’d like to re-sign D. Williams too but the guy is 1 year removed from being worth $2.5m on a 1 year deal.  And I think teams are gonna be very cautious giving him a big deal.  Milano has been a good player his whole career.  

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Are any of those teams willing to spend 12 million on an LB that isn't a pass rusher and isn't elite in coverage against TE's, who also has issues being banged up? Those teams are going to have their pick from free agents and aren't likely to want to spend 20-30% of their cap space on a LB like Milano.

20-30% of a 180M cap space would be 36M to 54M per year.  

May be you meant 20-30% of their available cap space ?

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

'How many teams run a similar style of D to the Bills?

'How many of those teams have sufficient cap space?'

'How many of those teams have an opening for  Milano'.

Answer all of those, and I believe (not know) that the eventual number is going to be pretty small (of teams).

There are plenty of 4-3 zone teams. When I look at your other two criteria - a need and cap space I get the list down to Indy, Washington and the Jets. Doesn't mean others can't be in play once some chips fall but Indy has been the one that made most sense to me from the start. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are plenty of 4-3 zone teams. When I look at your other two criteria - a need and cap space I get the list down to Indy, Washington and the Jets. Doesn't mean others can't be in play once some chips fall but Indy has been the one that made most sense to me from the start. 

They have the cap space for now but hard to see Indy giving Milano $12-14m per year when they’re gonna have to pay D Leonard close to $20m per year at the other LB spot.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

They have the cap space for now but hard to see Indy giving Milano $12-14m per year when they’re gonna have to pay D Leonard close to $20m per year at the other LB spot.  

They have SO much space. Let's say they trade for Wentz he costs them about $25m on the cap in 2021. Then say they go to your $20m number on Leonard (a pay rise of about $15m) they still have $29m of space this year. And it isn't like that is a temporary thing. They have kicked nothing down the road. They are so young. They can sign whoever they want in FA. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have SO much space. Let's say they trade for Wentz he costs them about $25m on the cap in 2021. Then say they go to your $20m number on Leonard (a pay rise of about $15m) they still have $29m of space this year. And it isn't like that is a temporary thing. They have kicked nothing down the road. They are so young. They can sign whoever they want in FA. 

They could certainly do worse than spending $14m on Milano, but I think they’d replace Hilton at WR, could see them go after Ertz at TE, they need CB’s and could use an edge rusher. They also need a LT too.  I think they attack those positions first before loading up at LB.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

They could certainly do worse than spending $14m on Milano, but I think they’d replace Hilton at WR, could see them go after Ertz at TE, they need CB’s and could use an edge rusher. They also need a LT too.  I think they attack those positions first before loading up at LB.  

They do need a corner, for sure. But Milano is in play there. Just too good of a scheme fit not to be.

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Washington.  They need a vet leader. Carolina connection. Tons of space.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Washington.  They need a vet leader. Carolina connection. Tons of space.

My take on this is: for those who think Milano will come back on an $8-9M/yr 1-2 yr "prove it" deal - just a little thought here has folks identifying two teams with needs, scheme fit, and plenty of cap space.  They could both be teams on the rise, too, and fun to play for depending on how their QB situation pans out.

So if Milano wants his big payday, I think his odds are fairly good to find it, even in a cap crunch year.

Teams most likely don’t think Milano is just another commodity like so many here.  Our team was 12-1 when he played this year.  Without him we were 3-3.  I can definitely see Indy paying fair market value for him and they are a team that is close.  They looked very good against us minus the Josh Allen factor.

• BillsMafi$ changed the title to John Warrow hinting at something Bills related on Twitter