Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

on what planet is MM on par with Hitchens, McKinney, Kendricks, Hightower, jaylen smith, Hicks, Littleton, Trevathen... 

if the market bears anything more than AJ Klein money I’m shocked. 

To Bills fans, he's a guy that misses time and whiffs on critical plays.

To the rest of the league, he may be a LB who played a key role on a team that had the #2 D in the league a year ago and was one of the top-4 teams this season

A lot depends upon the intersection of scheme and scheme fit with which teams have cap space, but prepare to be shocked.

If the salary cap is higher than expected then I would put the franchise tag on him and create cap space through cutting or restructuring contracts of less vital players.  Gives us one more season to evaluate Edmunds and Milano.  Hopefully the salary cap will jump significantly next year.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I wonder if he would do something like 2 years, $28 mil, all guaranteed?

With the cap being down a lot of guys are not going to get their big time $$ this offseason. This doesn't hamstring him or the team long-term, and allows him to cash in a bit now and more in just 2 years. 

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If the salary cap is higher than expected then I would put the franchise tag on him and create cap space through cutting or restructuring contracts of less vital players.  Gives us one more season to evaluate Edmunds and Milano.  Hopefully the salary cap will jump significantly next year.

I think 14m a year is too high for him, which is what it would roughly be for a franchise tag too.  I dont think a short term contract would be smart either, would rather keep the cap hit lower this year for him and higher later when the cap goes up.

With a 'normal' cap, Milano would definitely get paid handsomely. I would still question Spotrac's $14 million per valuation, as I think there aren't too many teams who would put his value at what I think is a 'high water mark'.

Tbh, irrespective of what we fans think, I believe the Bills FO wouldn't baulk at a number of $12 million per - again, in a normal year.

Milano's main problem this off season, imho, is that he is from the school of 'very good', but nowhere near 'elite'. This off-season, it's going to be the 'elite' who get paid, because teams with cap space will snap them up, and everyone else will be after scraps - and they won't have the money to pay guys that well.

I won't say that Milano won't get a good deal, but I think it's  lot more unlikely that he will, as much due to circumstance as anything else.

I haven't tried to look deeply into this, but my questions about Milano getting paid, even aside from the cap issues, run along the lines of

'How many teams run a similar style of D to the Bills?

'How many of those teams have sufficient cap space?'

'How many of those teams have an opening for  Milano'.

Answer all of those, and I believe (not know) that the eventual number is going to be pretty small (of teams).

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm going to guess Milano gets a prove it contract with 1-2 years at 12-13 per. He's had pretty bad luck in the final year of his rookie contract. He was injured most of the year (and not great even when healthy), and he's signing this next contract in the COVID offseason with the cap going down.  

If there is a big time cap crunch that puts the cap at 185 million or lower then who is offering Milano 12 million per-season? The Bills sure as hell won't be able to since even if they cut Brown, Butler, Jefferson, Lee Smith and get players like Addision, Hughes, Mitch and a few others to restructure their deals the Bills will still have limited cap dollars to spend and I doubt they are going to spend it heavily on Milano. 

At a 180 million dollar cap number 22 teams are going to either be negative on the cap or only have less than 20 million in space (which considering the rookie pool cash needed and emergency money means less than 10 million available) yes I know teams will cut players and redo deals but in the end the amount of free cash flow on a cap set around 185 million or less is going to be dramatically lower than most years. 

I can't see any team spending 12 million on Milano. I could be wrong but I think his "prove it" deal is somewhere in the 7-9 million dollar range, I can't see a team spending 12 million on a LB who isn't a pass rusher and can't consistently shut down top TE's in coverage. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If there is a big time cap crunch that puts the cap at 185 million or lower then who is offering Milano 12 million per-season?

Well...per Overthecap, there are 11 or so teams with >$20M cap space even with the cap set at $180.5M.

One of them?  Just depends on if he gets 2 or more "fits" between his talent and their needs, and they get into a bit of a bidding war

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well...there are 8 or so teams with >$20M cap space even with the cap set at $176M.

So one of them?

Are any of those teams willing to spend 12 million on an LB that isn't a pass rusher and isn't elite in coverage against TE's, who also has issues being banged up? Those teams are going to have their pick from free agents and aren't likely to want to spend 20-30% of their cap space on a LB like Milano.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Are any of those teams willing to spend 12 million on an LB that isn't a pass rusher and isn't elite in coverage against TE's, who also has issues being banged up? Those teams are going to have their pick from free agents and aren't likely to want to spend 20-30% of their cap space on a LB like Milano.

Milano ain’t perfect but he’s a good player that helps a team win. Somebody will pay him. Bills were a noticeably better team with Milano on the field. I hope Beane finds a way to bring him back.  He’s easily our hardest to replace Free Agent.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Milano ain’t perfect but he’s a good player that helps a team win. Somebody will pay him. Bills were a noticeably better team with Milano on the field. I hope Beane finds a way to bring him back.  He’s easily our hardest to replace Free Agent.  

This is the year maybe Buffalo gets some discounts.  Milano 1 year 8 or 9 mil seems like an option.  If he gets a long term deal good on him.  Idk if he pulls a massive deal.

Edited by Mat68

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Are any of those teams willing to spend 12 million on an LB that isn't a pass rusher and isn't elite in coverage against TE's, who also has issues being banged up?

It's all going to depend upon how they see his value to their defensive scheme and needs.  I don't know...but neither do you

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Those teams are going to have their pick from free agents and aren't likely to want to spend 20-30% of their cap space on a LB like Milano.

First off, the cap is currently estimated to be at $180.5M so giving Milano $14M this season would be 7.8% of their cap space.

Second, Congratulations on your football knowledge and insight into the inner workings of other teams needs to determine what they're likely to do

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

This is the year maybe Buffalo gets some discounts.  Milano 1 year 8 or 9 mil seems like an option.  If he gets a long term deal good on him.  Idk if he pulls a massive deal.

IDK either, like I said...it's gonna depend upon a match between Milano's scheme fit and the needs of one of the teams with Big Cap.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's all going to depend upon how they see his value to their defensive scheme and needs.  I don't know...but neither do you

First off, the cap is currently estimated to be at $180.5M so giving Milano $14M this season would be 7.8% of their cap space.

Second, Congratulations on your football knowledge and insight into the inner workings of other teams needs to determine what they're likely to do

IDK either, like I said...it's gonna depend upon a match between Milano's scheme fit and the needs of one of the teams with Big Cap.

Weakside 4-3 bakers are not usually market setters.  Im skeptical he pulls anything over 10 a year.

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I would put D.Williams as being harder to replace. But Milano isn't too far behind. And I agree Milano is a very good player. But when everyone is in a cap crunch it depresses the market for all players. And that makes it harder for a guy like Milano who isn't a pass rusher and isn't dynamic in coverage. I think this might actually work to the Bills benefit in keeping Milano. If his best offers are 2-3 year deals in the 8-9 million dollar aav range then he might just take a one year deal in the 8-9 million dollar range with the Bills and go after another bite at the apple when the cap hopefully expands in 2022.