Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

Just now, hjnick said:

I think our optimal way to go (and it takes 2 to tango), but if we could trade our 1st round pick, drop back into the early second round and obtain an extra pick or 2. 

Then with that 2nd round pick, get a LB to replace Milano.  Later in the draft I want to get Chubba Hubbard, probably a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Dude is FAST!

Every mock draft I do, when I get to 30, I want to trade down based on who is available. Just don’t see the 1st round value. It may play out differently obviously but I’ve done it like 7 times. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Every mock draft I do, when I get to 30, I want to trade down based on who is available. Just don’t see the 1st round value. It may play out differently obviously but I’ve done it like 7 times. 

Based on talent alone, there might not be any '1st round talent' at 30... BUT the great thing about the last picks of the draft is

- it's the last picks for that night and if you want to go and get a player that you think fell, it's a good place to trade back up to.

- you get the 5th year option on that player.

I think that 5th year option is a big plus to go up and get a player at the end of the first.  Maybe someone trades back up and gets Trask here for that 5th year option or Mac Jones if he slips down the draft board.  Having a 5th year option on a QB is huge if he pans out.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Guess we are getting a 3rd round comp pick for once 

Not if we sign more FA's than we lose, like we foolishly did the year Gilmore signed with the Pats.  Missed out on a 3rd round pick that year because we signed a bunch if backup, scrub FAs.  Hopefully Beane is smart about it.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Guess we are getting a 3rd round comp pick for once 

Not if we sign more FA's than we lose, like we foolishly did the year Gilmore signed with the Pats.  Missed out on a 3rd round pick that year because we signed a bunch if backup, scrub FAs.  Hopefully Beane is smart about it.

I love Milano.  The Bills defense is much better with him on the field, as evidenced by the data.

That said I think his injuries and the times he's missed will be the reason the Bills let him walk.  As a general philosophy I'm not sure it's ever wise to give a LB $14-15M.  I'd rather invest that money into the offense, OL or pass catchers.......thats the formula to winning.

I know it's PFFffffff 

But 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-pro-football-focus-predicts-these-signings-in-free-agency

37. LB MATT MILANO

Milano has developed into a modern-day linebacker. He has the 11th-best coverage grade among linebackers since 2018, he's been excellent matching up with running backs in single coverage and he's held his own when asked to line up over the slot.

Prediction: Bills sign Milano for four years …

and since its mentioned 

18. CB RICHARD SHERMAN

One of the best cornerbacks of his generation, Richard Sherman is still playing the game at a high level, but his age and relative lack of scheme diversity will scare a lot of potential suitors off.

Prediction: Bills sign Sherman for two years ...

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I know it's PFFffffff 

But 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-pro-football-focus-predicts-these-signings-in-free-agency

37. LB MATT MILANO

Milano has developed into a modern-day linebacker. He has the 11th-best coverage grade among linebackers since 2018, he's been excellent matching up with running backs in single coverage and he's held his own when asked to line up over the slot.

Prediction: Bills sign Milano for four years …

and since its mentioned 

18. CB RICHARD SHERMAN

One of the best cornerbacks of his generation, Richard Sherman is still playing the game at a high level, but his age and relative lack of scheme diversity will scare a lot of potential suitors off.

Prediction: Bills sign Sherman for two years ...

They project us to be signing quite a few expensive players this offseason. I don't think we'll pony up for Sherman but I guess we'll see soon enough.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/4/2021 at 10:43 AM, YoloinOhio said:

If they want to burn an early day 2 pick on a LB, Baron Browning is an option to upgrade in size/speed from Milano. Offers coverage and pass rush ability 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/baron-browning/uPpSp2BTNa

We need premium to read that; can you give us a summary?  Projected 40 time, synopsis?

https://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-bills-free-agency-review-143035736.html

Milano might be underappreciated by the national media, but he was a driving force for Buffalo's defense. He plays in all situations well: against the run, rushing the passer, and defending the pass. Milano fits all of the attributes of the modern linebacker. He was missed sorely by the defense when placed on injured reserve. While he only played 30-percent of the snaps during the regular season, his postseason counts soared. As exemplified by his usage during the playoffs, Milano is a three-down linebacker. The team struggled to matchup with tight ends and running backs at times when Milano missed time due to injury. 

Even though he has strong coverage skills, Milano was overmatched (as the rest of the Bills defense) by Travis Kelce in the AFC Championship Game.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, hjnick said:

I'm not sure which draft LBs are faster than Milano, but I would use or 1st or 2nd rounder to replace Milano unless we already have a LB in waiting that we think can replace Milano.

We need a LB that can make Kelce work.  We have to bring in players to stop the KC offense.

I think they might go for a hybrid LB/S/Slot CB to cover TE’s. The defense was exposed in the middle of the field. I would believe they want to get longer & more athletic there. 
Hamsah Nasirildeen is my favorite but could see a guy like Ifeatu Melifonwu from Syracuse or South Carolina’s Israel Mukuamu. All three also have great names. 

On 2/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, Estro said:

I love Milano.  The Bills defense is much better with him on the field, as evidenced by the data.

That said I think his injuries and the times he's missed will be the reason the Bills let him walk.  As a general philosophy I'm not sure it's ever wise to give a LB $14-15M.  I'd rather invest that money into the offense, OL or pass catchers.......thats the formula to winning.

Milano is a dilemna.  The way the Bills defense is designed, he's a huge difference-maker when he's healthy.  Because of Milano's skill set, he's not a guy you can apparently keep a good backup on the roster and plug right in.

So they had to rework the defensive responsibilities to make it respectable when Klein was playing.

That gets harder to do with Milano becoming expensive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I can’t see a team paying him more than a 4 year 44 mil deal. That is the deal I would go up to if I were the Bills.

That’s fine, but if the Bills do that, they better be prepared to let Edmunds walk after his contract is up...I don’t see how they would be able to sign both to top dollar deals...And neither would it be wise to do so imo...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1

lbs can be split between edge players who rush the passer well, and everyone else.

for "off ball" LBs, the ones who get paid are much much better over all than both the guys we have.  part of it is scheme and lack of guys infront of them, but several teams have better MLBs than we do, and while milano is OLB, the roles for those positions are quite similar in our D.

aside from RB and CB, MLBs come into the nfl and show their ability faster than any other position.  i know edmunds is young, but i still wanna play madden manager and say move him outside where he can impose rather than get caught out thinking slowly.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Milano is a dilemna.  The way the Bills defense is designed, he's a huge difference-maker when he's healthy.  Because of Milano's skill set, he's not a guy you can apparently keep a good backup on the roster and plug right in.

So they had to rework the defensive responsibilities to make it respectable when Klein was playing.

That gets harder to do with Milano becoming expensive.

It is hard to come to the solid conclusion.  

Some here like to make note of his "blown plays" in critical games ...  but I stand by the notion that 

Not everyone can make every play on every down.  

If you look at W/L when he's playing 100% healthy you can argue the Bills have a much better chances of winning when he is in.  

In the articles I posted he's mentioned as Quote might be underappreciated  Unquote.  

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I can’t see a team paying him more than a 4 year 44 mil deal. That is the deal I would go up to if I were the Bills.

on what planet is MM on par with Hitchens, McKinney, Kendricks, Hightower, jaylen smith, Hicks, Littleton, Trevathen... 

if the market bears anything more than AJ Klein money I’m shocked. 

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

on what planet is MM on par with Hitchens, McKinney, Kendricks, Hightower, jaylen smith, Hicks, Littleton, Trevathen... 

Spotrac shows his market value at 14mill/yr

• Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He is getting waaaay more than AJ Klein money. Prepare to be shocked.

• Agree 1

I wonder if he would do something like 2 years, $28 mil, all guaranteed?

With the cap being down a lot of guys are not going to get their big time $$ this offseason. This doesn't hamstring him or the team long-term, and allows him to cash in a bit now and more in just 2 years. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Who sits there and watches the Superbowl, and then says they want Milano back??  Milano is severely limited and it killed this team.  When Milano was out, there wasn't even a drop off in the defense.  One could argue, once Klein got comfortable, the D was better than when Milano wasn't in there.  The playoffs were a huge turn off for me on Milano.  The guy was exposed as just not being athletic enough.

Edited by Back2Buff
  • Disagree 3