Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

Honestly, this is the only way to really assess his value. Obviously he is an impact player, but very few teams look for 220lb linebackers. Milano is a good solid player, he isn’t Darius Leonard. So I think he could find a tough market, but may also get a great offer. This offseason guys like Lavonte David and KJ Wright are free agents, and while they are older, they are definitely better players. They will set that market. Maybe Milano winds up replacing those guys. I could see the Jets grabbing him for Saleh’s defense, or maybe the Colts pair him with Leonard. Perhaps he replaces David in Tampa or goes to Miami or NE who would be happy to have him. Maybe Jacksonville wants to pair him with Schobert and Myles Jack. 

Additionally, I wonder, can we get the same or better production from a guy like DeVondre Campbell who has developed well? Maybe another former safety, Nate Gerry, coming off an injury? Take a flier guys like Duke Riley, Alex Anzalone? Again do these guys totally replace Matt? Not sure. But is there a massive dropoff? I don’t think so. Unless you are paying Lavonte David, Darius Leonard, not sure you can break the bank for a 4-3 OLB. 

I want Milano back, but I do think him testing out his market is the way to go here. There is no way to tell where that market will actually be. 

a good poster on here pointed out how our ability to cover tight ends was poor prior to star and our DL cleaning up for 2 years, was solid during those two years, and was cheeks (near the worst) this year.  it's pretty clear the difference is made by the DL in this scheme.  we pay the most for a reason, we just brought in a bunch of old duds.

in carolina, when short and hardy were balling out of control, their d was a monster.  they lost luke for a bit and it was still solid.  they lost hardy because frankly he may be insane, and it fell off hard.

also, beane is reading my posts (lol) because he knows he needs a super star or stars at premium positions to win the big one.  we have our CB (fell off a touch this year, but was hurt), our qb, or WR, they think they have their LB in edmunds (MLB in this scheme is set up to cover all kinds of stuff, so when it's not in a good protected position it falls off hard), and they need IMO two just studs on DL.  add those studs, milano or 20 guys can look great at WLB.  take em out, and you get what we got last year.  solid at times, very good once in a while, and just gaping holes too much of the time.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not trying to argue that anyone should or shouldn't break the bank for Milano.

I'm pointing out that the Falcons signed Deion Jones, who was off the field a similar amount, to a contract similar to what Milano is said to be seeking (4 years, average $14.25M/year) and likewise as a FA Kwon Alexander, who was off the field even more, was given a 4 year, $13.5M/yr contract

The point isn't that these guys are signings that turned out well for those teams. 

They're an example of the fact teams are willing to hand over the type of contract Milano is seeking to guys who saw the field a similar or lesser amount.

People who think that Milano won't get offered the contract he wants because he's injured too much are probably not correct.  The only reason he wouldn't is if there isn't a good match between his skill set and one of the teams with big cap space.

I think he has a bed, sofa, and desk now.

It's not just the guys themselves.  They have the opportunity to build generational wealth and to provide for their families as well as enhance or provide opportunities for their communities. 

Your not wrong, but i think this is more like a 3-4 year spike...but Im not sure what started it. It is recency to pay big bucks for above avg 4-3 WLBs of the non pass rusher variety. Same for MLBs... That Kwon contract was roasted and identified as problematic. 

Prior to that, it was dudes like Takeo Spikes who got bigger contracts. Who we schemed different, but popped a lot different on film prior to contract years.

I remember we wanted Klein a few years ago, but he signed that,big deal that was like 8 million per year. I think that was the start of it getting fruity.

Id bet this process is reviewed after the guys you mentioned...espc this year.

I’ve never gotten the sense that the Bills were ever going to backup the truck to pay Milano. He has been an excellent 5th round pick but the Bills handed out big contracts to the core players in Dawkins and White from the 2017 draft. We have a defensive HC and part of what he brings to the table is identifying players that fit his scheme and coaching them up. We have seen this with the many defensive backs that have been developed in this system. 

There are several factors going against the resigning of Milano (1) as stated we just handed out 2 big contract extensions to players in his draft class and it is ideally a better strategy to try and space out the extensions as best you can (2) I think the regime is all in on Edmunds for better or worse and are setting aside the extension $ for him rather than Milano and there is no way a team should be paying big for 2 lbs unless they are absolute stud playmakers and perennial pro bowlers, (3) Bills are currently backed up to cap and want to extend Allen so there is little $ to go around to sign an outside lb to big $ that is not a sack or turnover maker (4) availability, Milano has had some injuries limiting his availability and it adds some hesitation to signing him to a long term deal and (5) and we saw with Milano out for extended time this year that the coaching staff was able to “coach” Klein up to the point that Klein was making plays all over the field after he had settled in. It all comes down to value and it just does not make sense as the key positions in today’s NFL are QB, pass rusher, CB, OT. Pass catchers and safeties would probably be next so positional value is also a factor. I wish Milano well and just hope Beane locates another “Milano” in this year’s draft as that is what is needed for sustained success. 

I love Milano as much as the next fan but I have no problem with them  replacing him either. His OLB position simply isn’t that critical to the Bills success and a solid replacement can be found in the draft or in free agency.  If he can’t stay on the field with all of the injuries then you’re not getting full value for what he reportedly wants to get paid. 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not trying to argue that anyone should or shouldn't break the bank for Milano.

I'm pointing out that the Falcons signed Deion Jones, who was off the field a similar amount, to a contract similar to what Milano is said to be seeking (4 years, average $14.25M/year) and likewise as a FA Kwon Alexander, who was off the field even more, was given a 4 year, $13.5M/yr contract

The point isn't that these guys are signings that turned out well for those teams. 

They're an example of the fact teams are willing to hand over the type of contract Milano is seeking to guys who saw the field a similar or lesser amount.

People who think that Milano won't get offered the contract he wants because he's injured too much are probably not correct.  The only reason he wouldn't is if there isn't a good match between his skill set and one of the teams with big cap space.

I think he has a bed, sofa, and desk now.

It's not just the guys themselves.  They have the opportunity to build generational wealth and to provide for their families as well as enhance or provide opportunities for their communities. 

Yeah, I was just trying to be funny. I'll try harder next time😂

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

I’ve never gotten the sense that the Bills were ever going to backup the truck to pay Milano. He has been an excellent 5th round pick but the Bills handed out big contracts to the core players in Dawkins and White from the 2017 draft. We have a defensive HC and part of what he brings to the table is identifying players that fit his scheme and coaching them up. We have seen this with the many defensive backs that have been developed in this system.

If we weren't ready to backup the truck for him, we should have been IMO.  He's one of the players, like Tre' White, that I dread hearing he's out or hampered.  They have clearly built a lot of their defensive scheme around his skillset, which is not readily duplicated.

I think if he'd had a season like last year, where he played every game, we would have been.  The problem for the Bills (in an ordinary year) isn't paying Milano, it's (as you note) potentially paying big guaranteed money to a key defender who may not be on the field enough and whose skillset is so unique that it's hard to "next man up" and fill for him.  Milano can "back off" a bit so that he's less likely to be injured - but then the rest of the time, will he be the guy you've paid?

There are several factors going against the resigning of Milano (1) as stated we just handed out 2 big contract extensions to players in his draft class and it is ideally a better strategy to try and space out the extensions as best you can

Eh.  Contracts can always be structured so that they functionally space out.

(2) I think the regime is all in on Edmunds for better or worse and are setting aside the extension $ for him rather than Milano and there is no way a team should be paying big for 2 lbs unless they are absolute stud playmakers and perennial pro bowlers

Pro bowl is a bad metric.   Seriously.  And doubly so for certain positions.

good for Milano.  I hope he gets what he wants.  

It is critical for the Bills' structure that players are free to what they feel is best for themselves (while being a great teammate while here).  It is on the Bills to draft or otherwise find replacements for players who fly the coop for whatever reason.  Can't keep everybody

20 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Yet every talent evaluator in the NFL and Milano's peers still think otherwise.  Weird.  

This isnt true..... if you are referring to the pro bowl this year where Edmunds was selected I think that largely has to do with Milano being hurt. There are a lot of breakdowns of the Bills D from cover 1 to Baldys breakdown that have highlighted both Edmunds inconsistency as well as Milanos importance to this defense.  I think Milano is a Top 10 OLB. Edmunds is still a young work in progress that flashes very few times this year and more times than that has been a huge liability both in reaction as well as truly getting lost in zone coverage. 

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is really a big so what.  Not directed at you Yolo, meaning every player as Shady stated is going to do what is best for them and their family, and the Bills are going to do what is best for them.  This wasn’t enlightening unless a person is in the minority thinking any player is doing the hometown discount.  That just doesn’t happen.

If it were you, and another employer offers you $2 mil. more, are you going to take it?  Now you work in an industry that you’re skills are finite.  You know you only have so many years to earn this income, and you will start a second career for considerably less.  You have to make this wealth for you’re family so you can live comfortably the rest of you’re life and you will have probably an ordinary regular guy job later.

This is why I don’t understand fans who think they will take less because they started on one team.  I hope we’re able to retain Milano as he undervalued by many, but if he gets more somewhere else, then we move on.  I do hope we at least provide a fair offer to him.

If I could choose to make 15 mill a year playing for the Jets or take 12 mill a year playing for a super bowl contender, I’d choose the super bowl contender every time and never think twice about it.  Being on a winning team is better for your health and happiness.  Being on a loser negatively affects your health and happiness.  You’ve got one life and will be rich either way.  Choose the happier route every time 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They took a swing at that a few years back...

Vosean Joseph I believe the fellas name was...

Has been quiet to date though... last seen at Walmart...

I would suggest with the value of this position to MCD’s defense that they are going to have to invest an early pick if Milano needs replacing which seems likely

Yeah, crickets from Joseph from what I can remember, too. 

While admitting I don’t know the ins and outs of potential scheme fit, I don’t mind the idea of Edmunds replacing Milano and then drafting/signing a MLB.

Edit: if MLB is even a thing in a defense that typically employs 2 LBs 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

9 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

At some point don't we have to re-sign our good players? 

At some point?  You mean like how we resigned Tre, dawkins and Poyer?  Can’t resign everyone.  The injury prone players should be the ones we let go.

I love Milano, but he’s not worth 13+ mill a year to this team imo, considering his injury history

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

At some point?  You mean like how we resigned Tre, dawkins and Poyer?  Can’t resign everyone.  The injury prone players should be the ones we let go.

I love Milano, but he’s not worth 13+ mill a year to this team imo, considering his injury history

Safe to say you’ll be able to add Allen. Technically we already re-signed Diggs, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If I could choose to make 15 mill a year playing for the Jets or take 12 mill a year playing for a super bowl contender, I’d choose the super bowl contender every time and never think twice about it.  Being on a winning team is better for your health and happiness.  Being on a loser negatively affects your health and happiness.  You’ve got one life and will be rich either way.  Choose the happier route every time 

I agree with you and it's why for so long, NE (the only true perennial contender) was able to sign FA and bring in others at a discount.

KC may be there soon. 

Pretty much any other team?

The problem for a player on any other team is that it's hard to predict who will stay at the top.  The Eagles?  SB one year, 9-7 and WC 2 years, now they're a mess.  etcetera.  The Texans?  Two years ago and last year, team on the rise; this year, Hot Mess.

The Bills look like a team on the rise in 2020, Beane would like to think we're positioned for sustained success, we all hope he's right, but from the POV of agents counseling players it's "don't bet on it"

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

The Milano hate runs deep at TBD...  With the possible exception of Lorax, Cookie was EASILY the best LB on the Bills in the time he was here.  I just don't get the "Bye Felicia" attitude around here.  Here's to you Cookie, hope you get every $ you can.

Me personally, I think Milano is a really good LB. I like him and want the Bills to retain him if possible.

At the same time, seeing his injury history, his projected salary, and our relatively tight cap situation... I can understand how it might not work out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1