Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, Redneck said:

A rookie or street FA might be a solid option - Edmunds will be in his 4th year and with AJ Klein, we have experience.  When we were just starting with the McBeane regime, both were young and in-experienced.

Milano is a good player.  But not a generational talent that can't be replaced.  Edmunds can walk.  He is the biggest liability on our defense.  Makes very few plays doesn't know how to tackle and has no instincts for the game.  Keep Klein and start fresh at LB.  The team will be better for it!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As noted upthread: Deion Jones says "Hi".  Kwon Alexander also, I believe

Yes but these guys prove the opposite. The falcons were terrible, and Kwon Alexander was a bust and traded. Jags broke the bank for Joe Schobert look what that got them.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the LB position is easier to replace on the draft, and get immediate production from as a rookie,  than say RT. 

This sums up the situation re Milano.  The Bills re-signed White CB1 and Dawkins LT which left Milano on the outside looking in.  This is the way the NFL works now.  Good luck to Milano.

31 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Yes but these guys prove the opposite. The falcons were terrible, and Kwon Alexander was a bust and traded. Jags broke the bank for Joe Schobert look what that got them.

I'm not trying to argue that anyone should or shouldn't break the bank for Milano.

I'm pointing out that the Falcons signed Deion Jones, who was off the field a similar amount, to a contract similar to what Milano is said to be seeking (4 years, average $14.25M/year) and likewise as a FA Kwon Alexander, who was off the field even more, was given a 4 year, $13.5M/yr contract

The point isn't that these guys are signings that turned out well for those teams. 

They're an example of the fact teams are willing to hand over the type of contract Milano is seeking to guys who saw the field a similar or lesser amount.

People who think that Milano won't get offered the contract he wants because he's injured too much are probably not correct.  The only reason he wouldn't is if there isn't a good match between his skill set and one of the teams with big cap space.

49 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

A minamilist seeking more. go figure  lol. Hope he can afford a bed this time around

I think he has a bed, sofa, and desk now.

It's not just the guys themselves.  They have the opportunity to build generational wealth and to provide for their families as well as enhance or provide opportunities for their communities. 

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Milano is good, but hardly irreplaceable. This is not the year to get top dollar, but if we drop Milano, Lotulelei and Addison, I believe that gets us under the cap but probably not enough. Addison got overpaid, was 34 and was pretty much invisible. We'd have to eat some dead money for dropping Addison ($4 mill?), but would still save over $2 mill. Stop overpaying medioce players Beane!

If we cut him, Lotulelei costs us more in dead cap than we save by about $4.7M per Overthecap

10 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't love the idea of Ford at RT. RG maybe, but not tackle. 

I would definitely re-sign Feliciano because of his versatility and the role he plays bringing some personality to the OL. He isn't going to cost a ton of $$. 

Williams depends on the $$ he will command, I think. We might get lucky with teams strapped for cash and get him back for another 1 year deal with the idea that he can cash in next season when there's more $$ to be had. That allows us time to draft and develop a guy at tackle. 

I expect the Bills to dump Morse and replace him with Feliciano. Cody man’s one of the G positions, not sure if Ike and/or Williams stay at their respective positions. RT might be tricky if it’s not Williams but getting another G shouldn’t be too difficult or expensive if need be. Boot Morse, too much money tied up with him, especially being concussion prone, spend that money elsewhere and move on.

10 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I mean, I imagine they are all looking for top dollar.  That means “the most they can get”.  I doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get what they want.  

Agreed.

In other news:

"Area Homeseller Says He Plans to Take Highest Bid; Won't Sell to "Nice Family" That Wrote Him Heart-Felt Letter About How Much They Love The Home."

"Recent Graduate Inclined to Reject $25,000 Salary in Hometown in Favor of $250,000 Offer in New City."

I understand that writers gotta write, but you gotta do better than this.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They do have the most free cap. 

Reportedly hiring Ravens DL coach Joe Cullen as their new DC:

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-to-hire-ravens-dl-coach-joe-cullen-as-new-defensive-coordinator

I guess we don't know what his defensive philosophy is, but don't the Ravens traditionally look for big thumpers at OLB?  Do you think Milano is a fit for him? 

What kind of defense is Urban Meyer known for?

Urban isn’t known for any specific scheme and will rely on his defensive staff for that but he does have player types. I have a feeling he will invest in a big DL in the draft like Barmore and the best corner he can get in FA.  I was thinking since they have a lot of money to spend in FA and Milano is from central Florida area maybe there could be a match there, but not sure how he fits into that defensive system. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Love Milano but I don't think he is worth top dollar.  Mabey 10-12 mil

Pretty much this. 
I think Milano is an outstanding WLB. Very instinctive, solid tackler. 

but consider this:

1) he missed almost half the season due to injury. 
2) PFF ranked him 41 out of 80 OLB. Either they’re not very smart or I’m not. I would have him as top 10-15 OLB. Maybe TBD has him way overrated. I guess we’re about to find out. I hope he stays. 

5 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Guess he's gone then

But just think.......how much minimalism can you buy for top dollar? 

You could own almost ALL of NOTHING! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think he will get a lot for what he is. But obviously he's no Khalil Mack or Von Miller or even Bobby Wagner. He's a good rusher but not great.

So my guess is he's looking for around the best ILB who's not Bobby Wagner sort of thing. This also could be a start to negotiation. I think that's reasonably likely. IMO he'll get somewhere in the Kwon Alexander - Shaq Thompson range. $10 - $13M average salary sort of thing.

My guess is the Bills would be interested at $10M but not at $13M. And that if they are interested they would try to get him to sign a contract that is cap friendly for the first year, and that Milano would be very interested if the other terms were what he wanted.

If he wants too much, they'll let him go, but I think they will want him back and be willing to pay him a lot. He gives them a lot.

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Milano is good, but hardly irreplaceable. This is not the year to get top dollar, but if we drop Milano, Lotulelei and Addison, I believe that gets us under the cap but probably not enough. Addison got overpaid, was 34 and was pretty much invisible. We'd have to eat some dead money for dropping Addison ($4 mill?), but would still save over $2 mill. Stop overpaying medioce players Beane!

I wouldn't mind (if we lost Milano) to move Edmunds outside and draft a MLB on day 2. I'll be mildly surprised if we don't keep Brown though. We can't fill too many holes and neither Diggs nor Davhave top speed. Diggs can get deep, but he doesn't have T Hill speed. Then again.

I really hope there's a great value at OT, DE or outside CB at #30. A day 2 TE would be nice too, but I'm not crazy about drafting a LB or TE in the 1st unless it's a 'once every few years' talent that inexplicably falls to us.

If nothing else, make this team stronger in the trenches. We need a game changer on the DL.

No reason to replace Star, whether you're talking the value you (don't) save by cutting him, or the fact that we don't have a guy who does what he does.

Not signing Milano saves us zero, as he's a free agent. Addison would save us a bit but require us to spend money to replace him.

If Milano goes they're virtually certain to try to replace him by drafting another OLB.

Our game change on the DL is likely Oliver in his third year when he's got Lotulelei next to him.

Edited by Thurman#1

This is really a big so what.  Not directed at you Yolo, meaning every player as Shady stated is going to do what is best for them and their family, and the Bills are going to do what is best for them.  This wasn’t enlightening unless a person is in the minority thinking any player is doing the hometown discount.  That just doesn’t happen.

If it were you, and another employer offers you $2 mil. more, are you going to take it?  Now you work in an industry that you’re skills are finite.  You know you only have so many years to earn this income, and you will start a second career for considerably less.  You have to make this wealth for you’re family so you can live comfortably the rest of you’re life and you will have probably an ordinary regular guy job later.

This is why I don’t understand fans who think they will take less because they started on one team.  I hope we’re able to retain Milano as he undervalued by many, but if he gets more somewhere else, then we move on.  I do hope we at least provide a fair offer to him.