Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Matt Milano should do what is best for him.  The Buffalo Bills should do what is best for them.  Those won't necessarily line up.

This is always true.  Every player is going to do what's best for himself; every team is going to do what's best for itself. 

Sounds like this is where we part company with signore Milano.

Ciao!  

I mean he should as all nfl players should. Dude is a baller but he is undersized and injuries will probably always been an issue. When you have good players, you’re going to make some tough decisions. On defense, OLB should be one of the easiest positions to replace. 

it sucks to lose a playmaker but it’s just going to happen. Great draft pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Yet every talent evaluator in the NFL and Milano's peers still think otherwise.  Weird.  

Big fan of Milano. I can't however place his value over Edmunds or Tre White. ( at one point in time I did think differently) From a draft perspective White is the easiest to replace IMO.

Edmunds would be the hardest IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://fansided.com/2021/02/01/bills-free-agent-matt-milano-looking-top-dollar-free-agency/

In the latest Stacking the Box column, FanSided’s national NFL reporter Matt Verderame has heard from a source that linebacker Matt Milano is looking for “top dollar” in free agency.

“Per source, Milano is looking for top-dollar at his position,”  writes Verderame. “Although he’s without Pro Bowl or All-Pro accolades, Milano has been a playmaker and culture-maker. The fourth-year man has racked up 101 tackles in 2019 and then 3.5 sacks and win hits in 2020, while providing quality coverage. He’ll have a strong market.”

https://fansided.com/2021/02/01/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-super-bowl-preview/

Well...

Good luck Matt...You're a great player. Definitely did you 1/11th job...But I've watched the top LB's in this league play...A lot...And you're not on that level. And that is not meant to be insulting. It's just true. 😎

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Big fan of Milano. I can't however place his value over Edmunds or Tre White. ( at one point in time I did think differently) From a draft perspective White is the easiest to replace IMO.

Edmunds would be the hardest IMO.

White is locked up long term. Why even mention him?

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Well... I wouldn't pay him top dollar for a LB. Our LB corps was far from scary.

Can't blame the man for wanting to get paid. It's a short career and he knows how one injury at the wrong time could cost you tens of millions of dollars. 

Use the $$ to re-sign Feliciano and maybe even Williams on the OL. 

You're right, our top priorities should be Williams and Feliciano. After that everyone is negotiable. Milano with his injury history is in no position to demand top money. Too small and he does whiff on alot of tackles. Move Edmunds outside and draft an actual young MLB.

I have no problem with the player wanting to get paid.

I have no problem with letting Milano walk.

But I will be slightly annoyed when he signs with New England and we have to play him twice a year.

The good news is, the BILLS are now the team that vets looking to chase a ring will come to. So I'm expecting Beane to work his magic on the entire front 7 this offseason.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jerboski said:

Good for him

No way I'm paying top LB for him, good player for sure but it's a hard no for me 

the marketplace will determine what he is worth.  Its the American way.  (at least when government doesn't try to override the laws of supply and demand)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't love the idea of Ford at RT. RG maybe, but not tackle. 

I would definitely re-sign Feliciano because of his versatility and the role he plays bringing some personality to the OL. He isn't going to cost a ton of $$. 

Williams depends on the $$ he will command, I think. We might get lucky with teams strapped for cash and get him back for another 1 year deal with the idea that he can cash in next season when there's more $$ to be had. That allows us time to draft and develop a guy at tackle. 

Feliciano & there may be no one better in FA per our cap status, was taken advantage of by playoff caliber defensive lines.  This is the ultimate comparison 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I have no problem with the player wanting to get paid.

I have no problem with letting Milano walk.

But I will be slightly annoyed when he signs with New England and we have to play him twice a year.

The good news is, the BILLS are now the team that vets looking to chase a ring will come to. So I'm expecting Beane to work his magic on the entire front 7 this offseason.

Yes!  Right on

3 hours ago, eee1776 said:

Move Edmonds to Milano's slot and move Kline in the Middle. his natural position.

I'm sorry, but if people are going to keep beating this tired horse, could you please explain what exactly is the difference in their positions within McD's defensive scheme? It's been repeatedly stated by the coaches, players (i.e. Lorenzo Alexander, Milano, Tre, etc.) that there's absolutely little to no difference between their positions, assignments, coverages, etc. beyond the fact that Edmunds is captaining the playcalls from Frazier. 

By this logic, we would switch that responsibility to Klein and have no marked difference between them in positional assignment? Only asking because that's all that would accomplish and would be exceptionally suspect.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Klein will be here per his contract which improves flexibility but I expect a fair offer to Milano and then a plan to replace him in the draft if he takes more elsewhere. I think the LB position is easier to replace on the draft, and get immediate production from as a rookie,  than say RT. 

Agreed - I see a fair offer in attempt to keep a solid player in the same system, but would rather see the dollars go to maintaining the OL. Particularly Williams and Feliciano in that order. Milano's position would be easier to target replacement at 30 or in the second round than OL would, and like you say contribute immediately.

I wonder now with the likelihood of a non-covid season in 2021/22 that there will be cap space freed with DL and OL depth being released, which may help keep Milano. But remains to be seen. Worth noting the obvious as well, that Milano is exceptional in coverage for his position which is the only piece I'm skeptical of replacing. However that trait will decline with age and injury, especially against TEs like Kelce.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cover1 says "Hi"

And that's not even including some of the eye-poppers he laid down in the 2nd half of the season this year.

I get it that Beane may have to make difficult prioritization decisions and if I were he, I'm not sure where Milano falls on my prioritization, but let's not diss on a guy who has totally played his ass off and been a difference maker - when on the field.

As Beane said in his presser, that's really their only concern with him.  Best ability, availability and all that.

A lot changed since then...

In all, Im not far off from where you are, I mean i'd like him back for a fair price. I agree a fair offer is in order. Buffalo has other fat to trim that could off set some cost here...

The gamefilm was uneven in 20. Sure there were some great highlights, but also tread water at times. 

This year proved he is very dependent on who is playing in front of him. 

Ability to stay healthy must be fully gauged. 

A position that is not as hard to find production, and that will get highlight plays in this defense if manned competently. 

The notion someone will overpay for Matt this particular year seems unlikely to me. I think the point someone made that. certain batches of FAs may be SOL this season could be accurate.

Edited by RichRiderBills