2020 Bills had the most productive WR Corp in the NFL since the 1995 Falcons

Big Turk

crazy!

seems to me josh, the system, and diggs are what makes that possible.  it's weak that the best wr team in the nfl, with a deadly running qb, can get stymied with the scheme kc put on us.  it's just a glaring hole we have at RB and TE, not to mention internal blocking.  the good thing is that is a low cost/value position grouping, so we SHOULD be able to get better there with a quickness

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That Metcalf/Emmanuel/Mathis/Jeff George were the bar for productivity over the past 25 years kind of takes the shine off the accomplishment/stat.

I'm more surprised that forgettable Quartet was that good.

I remember when we almost signed Emmanuel as a free agent and think he ended up in Tampa instead. 

Turk, thanks for sharing.  It does speak to how we need the following and not in this order so whatever Beane’s board states.

RB

TE

CB

Edge Rusher

Possible LB if we can’t match Milano’s offer from someone else

O Lineman assuming we can’t retain everyone.

We should get Star back so that solves a huge problem in Oliver and Edmunds being more effective.  Someone on another thread stated astutely a big 1 technique DT is essential for McD’s style defense.  I agree, and looked back at Jimmy Johnson who McD learned under and he had a similar, not exact scheme for his defenses.

We hit on those in the draft, and we can maybe beat the one team keeping us from the SB.

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Turk, thanks for sharing.  It does speak to how we need the following and not in this order so whatever Beane’s board states.

RB

TE

CB

Edge Rusher

Possible LB if we can’t match Milano’s offer from someone else

O Lineman assuming we can’t retain everyone.

We should get Star back so that solves a huge problem in Oliver and Edmunds being more effective.  Someone on another thread stated astutely a big 1 technique DT is essential for McD’s style defense.  I agree, and looked back at Jimmy Johnson who McD learned under and he had a similar, not exact scheme for his defenses.

We hit on those in the draft, and we can maybe beat the one team keeping us from the SB.

RB? Round 1. draft... TE? maybe FA upgrade.. idk we need a one tech DT before we get an edge rusher.. someone big. I absolutely believe its been a trickle down effect that starts at DT, works towards the ends and effects the LB crew. Oliver having a big dude next to him will make his job easier, then as Oliver gets better game day due to what's by him it trickles to the DE's and LBS.  its either DT, Edge Rusher or CB... your not going to get them all this year do to cap issues..

Nickle defense being played all the time has to stop. to much Vanilla with this defense 

On 2/1/2021 at 6:38 PM, Mr. WEO said:

That Metcalf/Emmanuel/Mathis/Jeff George were the bar for productivity over the past 25 years kind of takes the shine off the accomplishment/stat.

I'm more surprised that forgettable Quartet was that good.

Because Jeff George is/was such a douche noodle that team doesn't get the respect they deserve for the offense they put up.

Metcalf, Mathis, and Emanuel all had over 1k yards receiving that year, Craig Heyward also ran for 1k yards and George threw for 4100 yards that year when that was still a rare occurrence.  

4.1k passer

3 - 1k WRs

1k RB

That's silly production, particularly for the time. The player who led the league in passing that year was Brett Favre. He had 1 1k WR and a 1k RB.

The Chiefs by all accounts are the offensive gold standard in the league right now. This year they had:

4.7k passer

2 - 1k receivers (a TE and a WR)

800 yard RB

We all speak in hushed/reverent tones about the 1991 Bills offense.

Kelly threw for 3800 yards, Thomas ran for 1400, Reed and Lofton each had ~1100 yards.  The 95 Falcons were arguably better offensively.

Edited by That's No Moon

On 2/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, Big Turk said:

Nobody is looking for balance where they run it and pass it equally. Running the ball is almost always a worse choice than passing it these days. However when teams are making it easy for you to run it and harder to pass it and you still can't run it that is where you get into issues...

They only need to be able to take advantage of the situations as they come up.

I never said they had to be run heavy.  I should have shortened the run # to 20-25 as that would have been more accurate.

Successful teams need to be able to do both as the game dictates. 

Are these cliche's BS?  "pass to open up the run", the run really set up the pass? 

So, are we Bills just failing the eye test?  

2020 Passing Play % 

10 Kansas City 61.82%

11 Buffalo Bills  61.71%

60% is ~ 20 run 33 pass.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I never said they had to be run heavy.  I should have shortened the run # to 20-25 as that would have been more accurate.

Successful teams need to be able to do both as the game dictates. 

Are these cliche's BS?  "pass to open up the run", the run really set up the pass? 

So, are we Bills just failing the eye test?  

2020 Passing Play % 

10 Kansas City 61.82%

11 Buffalo Bills  61.71%

60% is ~ 20 run 33 pass.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

Those numbers are skewed because there are a lot of Allen runs which initially were passes and he scrambled.

more on a "need to do both"

Look at Brady's career. (years 1 , 2, and 3)   He was more successful when they ran the ball.

2002 was 2nd year and they tried to give Tom the reigns too early and then finished 2nd in the Div. 

2003 100.4 YPG - 29.6 A/G

2002  94.3  YPG - 24.7 A/G

2001 112.1  YPG - 29.6 A/G

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Because Jeff George is/was such a douche noodle that team doesn't get the respect they deserve for the offense they put up.

Metcalf, Mathis, and Emanuel all had over 1k yards receiving that year, Craig Heyward also ran for 1k yards and George threw for 4100 yards that year when that was still a rare occurrence.  

4.1k passer

3 - 1k WRs

1k RB

That's silly production, particularly for the time. The player who led the league in passing that year was Brett Favre. He had 1 1k WR and a 1k RB.

The Chiefs by all accounts are the offensive gold standard in the league right now. This year they had:

4.7k passer

2 - 1k receivers (a TE and a WR)

800 yard RB

We all speak in hushed/reverent tones about the 1991 Bills offense.

Kelly threw for 3800 yards, Thomas ran for 1400, Reed and Lofton each had ~1100 yards.  The 95 Falcons were arguably better offensively.

My point was that quartet was completely forgettable on a dud team that went 9-7 and lost a blowout  WC game (to Favre).  They were only the 6th best passing Offense and 27th in rushing.  It took Metcalf an insane 153 targets to get to 1189 yards.  Emanuel caught only 54% of his targets.  

Heyward was done after '95--his one stellar year in the NFL.  Likewise, Metcalf was a JAG until that season, and then he quickly returned to one as his career fizzled.  Metcalf peaked that year as weel, had 2 more solid years and then quickly fizzled out.  MAthis is the only one who had a significant career as a WR before and after that season.

The reason the shine is off this stat is because it is an anomaly achieved by an offense that relied solely on 4 guys and the QB for 90+% of the output.  Even back then, I bet there are a bunch of teams who could have done the same if they ran the Offenses in such a restricted way.  Also, other than Metcalf, they were a bunch of bums.