Cam Newton, NFL MVP. Does any team want him 2021?

Nihilarian

Cam Newton 6'5'' 235, who was drafted #1 overall in 2011, 2015 NFL MVP...took the Panthers to a super bowl. Look at him now, a shell of what he once was due to injuries sustained by running the ball over the years in the NFL. Sure, he can still run the ball...now, he can't make a decent downfield throw to save his life.

Watch that 49ers, Patriots game week 6. 

I look at Josh Allen being the leading rusher for Buffalo against the Colts in the AFC Wildcard game! Leading rusher against the Ravens tied with Motor with seven carries in the AFC Divisional round! Leading rusher against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. 

Please make this stop! The last thing I want to see as a Bills fan is a supremely talented pocket QB like Allen ending up like Newton because of having to run to attempt to carry the team on his own.  With a 2020 69.25% completion percentage, there is no way that the Bills should even be thinking of letting this QB be the leading rusher in a game! 

The Buffalo Bills didn't even attempt a RB run in the entire first quarter against the Ravens and only one RB run in the second quarter. That vaunted, high scoring 2020 Buffalo Bills offense only scored 10 points against the Ravens. The Bills got very, very lucky against the Colts and Ravens as they were out played in both ToP and yards. The Chiefs ripped them a new one though! 

As for the Chiefs, they were in Nickle/Dime coverage mostly the entire game and basically daring the Bills to run the ball. Don't worry, the Bills OC didn't call a RB run very often, 11 carries all game for Buffalo RB's. 

The AFC Championship game was the second time the Bills faced this team this season, and with worse results! That first game Allen threw for 14 of 27 for 122 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT and rushed for 8 attempts. Singletary had 10 rushes. The first game should have shown the Bills what they were in for. 

Why is the Bills OC so damned and defiant about passing the ball when the opposing team is clearly shutting the passing game down?  Four sacks by the Chiefs and so many QB pressures that every time Allen dropped back he was getting harried. 

As a Bills fan I want to see Josh Allen as the Buffalo Bills QB in ten years and not looking like Cam Newton does today. McD/Beane, please fix the Bills OC's brain, O line and run game...balance!  

Rant off...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

N Man, I’ve thought the same thing in that the problem is in the running game as has been discussed so in haste they keep going back to Allen running.  As far as Allen’s designed runs, Id rather see him evolve into the style R. Wilson or even Mahomes adopts. They still run a bit, but more scramble to throw, and move in space.  Both of these QB’s avoid hits.

The last thing I want to see is Allen ending up like Cam.  His career is over.  He’ll be lucky to be a backup somewhere, but even that’s a problem as that city will be in a Flutie/Johnson debate all year.  I certainly want non of it in Buffalo.  

IMO injuries aren't the problem with Cam's throwing.

I'd argue it's more about mechanical problems and a relative lack of concentration on the fundamentals of the motion (not to even mention the lack of good players around him on offense). He's always gone in and out of tune with his motion, as Chris Simms has mentioned. He's never been all about throwing, and he's always had accuracy problems. He had games this year where his throwing looked pretty good. Then some where it looked awful.

I think his injuries would sooner affect his legs and his running, the area that's still his strong point.

I share your worry about Josh's long-term health if he keeps running. I think he's going to start sliding more and more as he grows older and cannier. We're seeing it already.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Cam Newton 6'5'' 235, who was drafted #1 overall in 2011, 2015 NFL MVP...took the Panthers to a super bowl. Look at him now, a shell of what he once was due to injuries sustained by running the ball over the years in the NFL. Sure, he can still run the ball...now, he can't make a decent downfield throw to save his life.

I look at Josh Allen being the leading rusher for Buffalo against the Colts in the AFC Wildcard game! Leading rusher against the Ravens tied with Motor with seven carries in the AFC Divisional round! Leading rusher against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. 

Please make this stop! The last thing I want to see as a Bills fan is a supremely talented pocket QB like Allen ending up like Newton because of having to run to attempt to carry the team on his own.  With a 2020 69.25% completion percentage, there is no way that the Bills should even be thinking of letting this QB be the leading rusher in a game! 

The Buffalo Bills didn't even attempt a RB run in the entire first quarter against the Ravens and only one RB run in the second quarter. That vaunted, high scoring 2020 Buffalo Bills offense only scored 10 points against the Ravens. The Bills got very, very lucky against the Colts and Ravens as they were out played in both ToP and yards. The Chiefs ripped them a new one though! 

As for the Chiefs, they were in Nickle/Dime coverage mostly the entire game and basically daring the Bills to run the ball. Don't worry, the Bills OC didn't call a RB run very often, 11 carries all game for Buffalo RB's. 

The AFC Championship game was the second time the Bills faced this team this season, and with worse results! That first game Allen threw for 14 of 27 for 122 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT and rushed for 8 attempts. Singletary had 10 rushes. The first game should have shown the Bills what they were in for. 

Why is the Bills OC so damned and defiant about passing the ball when the opposing team is clearly shutting the passing game down?  Four sacks by the Chiefs and so many QB pressures that every time Allen dropped back he was getting harried. 

As a Bills fan I want to see Josh Allen as the Buffalo Bills QB in ten years and not looking like Cam Newton does today. McD/Beane, please fix the Bills OC's brain, O line and run game...balance!  

Rant off...

The comparison is flawed in terms of character. Newton has always been a me first diva. If anything, Allen is more like Elway than anything like Newton. Look where Newton is today. A broke down and out clown that’s trying to be like Dennis Rodman with his insane asylum fashion.

Allen cares far more for the game and is too determined to be the best he can be to be compared to Newton 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Rant off...

One of these did not cause the other. Cam had one foot injury that shut a season down. 

He didn't get a torn labrum in his shoulder from running a football, thus impacting his ability to throw the football.

Running is a part of Josh's game and he ran significantly less this year. He's fine.

• Like (+1) 1

Newton made a bad decision (or followed bad advice) when he injured his shoulder. Essentially the same injury Andrew Luck suffered,  it took luck what 18 months to recover? Newton continued to play further damaging the shoulder. 

He was never the same after the shoulder injury. I know he had a foot issue and various other things but they were all manageable. I think the shoulder injury hurt his arm strength and he never had the accuracy to make it work without the strength. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd argue it's more about mechanical problems and a relative lack of concentration on the fundamentals of the motion (not to even mention the lack of good players around him on offense). He's always gone in and out of tune with his motion, as Chris Simms has mentioned. He's never been all about throwing, and he's always had accuracy problems. He had games this year where his throwing looked pretty good. Then some where it looked awful.

I think his injuries would sooner affect his legs and his running, the area that's still his strong point.

I share your worry about Josh's long-term health if he keeps running. I think he's going to start sliding more and more as he grows older and cannier. We're seeing it already.

It looks like he's trying to throw a refrigerator anytime he attempts something over 10 yards. Painful to watch. 

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

Cam is washed up. His arm looks done. Imo he has become Chad Pennington without the brains. 

What makes you think he doesn't have the brains. He's had more success than Pennington.

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

The comparison is flawed in terms of character. Newton has always been a me first diva. If anything, Allen is more like Elway than anything like Newton. Look where Newton is today. A broke down and out clown that’s trying to be like Dennis Rodman with his insane asylum fashion.

Allen cares far more for the game and is too determined to be the best he can be to be compared to Newton 

That sacrificed his body for his team and likely shortened his career because of it?

• Like (+1) 2

When you're a physical freak you can make a decision to learn the nuances of the game and slowly replace your athleticism with intangibles, protect your body and have a long career.  Or you rely solely on your athleticism, not protect your body, and have a short career.   EIther the coaches around Cam didnt do a good enough job of teaching him the nuances, or Cam decided to not listen.  Either way his career is over because he relied on being bigger and faster than everyone else on the field.

I dont know how anyone could watch a guy throw 8 touchdowns in 15 games and think he is a viable starter.   While he may be able to come in as a backup and win a few games with his legs, I dont think he provides enough in the locker room to warrant a shot.   The guys net worth is somewhere around $100 Million so he doesnt need to play football.   He can get back to those birthday parties he missed this year and stop being a martyr in the media.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

What makes you think he doesn't have the brains. He's had more success than Pennington.

Because if you ever watched Pennington play you would know he made up for his lack of arm strength with his ability to read a defense then get the ball out with timing. He did complete 66% of his passes for his career despite having a noodle arm, especially after the shoulder surgeries. Cam has relied on his legs most of his career and you could tell that the mental aspect was giving him some trouble in NE. His shoulder injury has changed his abilities. When your body starts breaking down then it is your wits that carry you on. I have never seen Cam be one to dissect a defense. 

I’m not worried about Josh breaking down the way Newton has. Josh made huge strides this season in avoiding big hits and protecting his body. He is a weapon in the running game and while (I think) everyone agrees we need a better RB run game, you don’t take that part of Josh’s game away from him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

It's pretty bad when Matt Barkley is a better option

Fun fact. Broken down Cam’s qb rating 82.9 this year. Matt Barkley’s career qb rating 66.6 (😈)!!!! As a qb, Barkley best characteristic is he’s a really nice guy. 

cam ain’t cam anymore but as a backup, he’s not that bad if his shoulder isn’t completely shot (it may be). NE has dog 💩 offensive talent and Cam seemed to be good in the lockerroom.  And it’s nit really so much about Cam as it is about Barkley. I trust the guy who has won 75 games more than the guy who, super nice guy, has won 2.

Cam should head to the XFL. 
That’s not meant as a shot against him. But it would be a fantastic shot for him to face lesser competition and build some confidence. He would immediately be the face of the league (we know he enjoys the spotlight) 

And he needs to show teams he’s better than what happened in New England if he wants to continue playing. As of right now I don’t think anyone would sign him unless there’s a major rash of injuries like WFT had. As for Josh, I don’t see any real comparisons this year to MVP cam. 
Josh has better pocket awareness and doesn’t take half the nasty shots cam used to take behind the line. When running Josh has gotten down a lot more and is not a powerhouse goal line back like how Carolina used cam. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's your first line that I disagree with, at least in part. At best Cam was an average passer, but combined with his running that was enough to make him MVP like Lamar. But the shoulder injury had made him a bad passer so that teams can key on the run. He once had a strong arm and a low 60% completion which was good enough to keep the D guessing. We also never got to see him behind a competent OL or with an elite WR who makes you look great.

The sad thing is that he lied to Carolina coaches about his injury because he wanted to compete. Brave but stupid. He's done now. He should retire.

Josh doesn't need to seek contact like Cam, but the designed runs are good to keep the D honest. In the playoffs when the Offense became one dimensional the Bills made it easier for the D.