How Allen will Work to become a better QB

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/how-bills-josh-allen-will-work-to-become-a-better-quarterback-in-2021/article_570a3832-6276-11eb-9cf6-379d0b7b6d84.html#tracking-source=article-related-bottom

(paywall, $1/month trial available)

Lots of good stuff here - input from Phil Simms as a former NFL QB, Jordan Palmer, Greg Cosell of NFL films, and Jim Kubiak of TBN who's been analyzing every offensive snap for the last 3 years. 

Good article by Jason Wolf - I can't do it justice, worth the read.

“You keep diving into your playbook, you keep watching film, you keep working on your mechanics,” Allen said, “and that’s what I’ll be doing this offseason, trying to fine-tune my game and to be the best version of myself, the best quarterback I can be for this Bills team.” (......)  Allen will spend the offseason working on the physical and mental aspects of his game. He’ll push to become more consistent in his execution through repetition. And he’ll study film and digest the experience of this season to improve his knowledge of the game, his ability to read defenses and his decision-making under pressure.

And he apparently sees a lot of "meat left on the bone" in the Chiefs game:

A day after losing to the Chiefs, Allen said countless in-game decisions could have been better.

“There’s so many different plays running through my mind that I could’ve done something different on and helped our team and put us in a better situation to try to win that game last night,” Allen said. “I have a feeling those plays will be stuck in my head for a long time, probably until we start playing again.”

Palmer implies there is stuff they ran out of time to work on as well as stuff they'll reinforce:

“The really exciting thing is some of the things that we found out really won’t be addressed until this coming offseason,” Palmer said before the playoffs began during an interview on One Bills Live. “So you think about this growth, this gain, I’m not creating expectations here. Josh has handled that himself. But there’s a ways to go and I think we’re not even close to the ceiling.”

Greg Cosell (jaw drop) ... is OBD paying these guys?  Because this still blows my mind:

“I think he’s the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL,” said ESPN analyst Greg Cosell, “and knowing what I know about him and the coaching staff, I think he’ll just continue to improve.”

Cosell also thinks Year 4 might be significant:

“I’ve talked to a lot of coaches over the years, who always say it takes four years for a quarterback to fully understand his offense and to put that all together with a full understanding of the defenses in the NFL,” Cosell said.

Onward and Upward, Bills Mafia!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Reducing the 30-yard sacks & sack-fumbles where the play is breaking down beyond ALL hope but he keeps backing up trying to make something of it. He was able to find some guys when in trouble, but he’s gotta get that sense down of when to cut bait.

Hope he works on his handoffs. They just don’t have a quick, fluid motion or make any attempt to disguise what’s happening. Lamar Jackson seems like the master of this and that split second advantage he creates for himself or his RBs is big. We can’t expect Lamar but getting better at it is do-able.

• Like (+1) 6

This is the quality that Allen has that could lead him to greatness. Not the crazy good arm or superior athleticism.  

He's just relentless about improving his game.  The QB who he most reminds me of in that respect is Peyton Manning.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here’s the single fact that should have us all sleeping easy — Josh is 24. 24! The way these guys take care of themselves now it’s not ridiculous to think we have our QB for the next 15 years. “The most physically gifted QB in the league” who is only getting better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Palmer has said before several times there's a lot they couldn't get to last season.

They worked on his mechanics the last two years but even more specifically last year with the body scan they did. And he's said before that they concentrated on the two major changes they found he needed but that there are details that still need to be addressed.

It is a good article.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, UConn James said:

Reducing the 30-yard sacks & sack-fumbles where the play is breaking down beyond ALL hope but he keeps backing up trying to make something of it. He was able to find some guys when in trouble, but he’s gotta get that sense down of when to cut bait.

Hope he works on his handoffs. They just don’t have a quick, fluid motion or make any attempt to disguise what’s happening. Lamar Jackson seems like the master of this and that split second advantage he creates for himself or his RBs is big. We can’t expect Lamar but getting better at it is do-able.

Uconn, you know what’s funny is on NFL Matchup, this exact problem of a QB continuing to go back to evade pressure vs. stepping into the pocket is what guess who...  Oat Mahomes.  Cosell and crew were stating Mahomes makes it very difficult to block for him because when he keeps going backward, it’s easier for edge rushers to get around the tackles to get to him.  The point of the clip was KC does have some flaws, amd this is one of them.  The problem is we didn’t have the rushers to get to Mahomes, but KC did have the juice.

The point was not Mahomes has flaws to me, but Allen needs to step into the pocket and not think he can always evade the rush vs. all too often feel he can use his athleticism to get out of trouble. The problem is for many teams, his strategy works and thus reinforces bad behavior.  We go ooh,  aww, and we should be thinking, what are you stupid, step into the pocket.  It also symbolizes we needed healthy WR’s out there.  Playing all of the guys with an oblique, knee, ankle, broken leg was a mistake.  Diggs would’ve been ok, but we should’ve considered Still and McKenzie. Replace them with two of the other guys.

5 hours ago, UConn James said:

Of QBs with over 250 pass attempts (34 QBs), Allen had the 9th lowest sack % (4.3), was 5th lowest in averge yards lost per sack (6.1), was 16th in total sacks (26), and was 20th in total yards lost (159). Pretty sure sacks and handoffs were not a real problem for Allen.

As far as the fumbles go, it is less about carelessness with the football than it is about style of play.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Allen needs to step into the pocket and not think he can always evade the rush vs. all too often feel he can use his athleticism to get out of trouble. The problem is for many teams, his strategy works and thus reinforces bad behavior.  We go ooh,  aww, and we should be thinking, what are you stupid, step into the pocket.  It also symbolizes we needed healthy WR’s out there.  Playing all of the guys with an oblique, knee, ankle, broken leg was a mistake.  Diggs would’ve been ok, but we should’ve considered Still and McKenzie. Replace them with two of the other guys.

This year, Allen was one of the best at moving within, and stepping up into, the pocket - and you rarely saw him bail when he didn't need to. He kept his composure, rarely panicked, and always kept his eyes downfield while moving around in the pocket, which is why he had one of the highest ratings in passing from the pocket.

One of his many physical gifts is his ability to escape pressure and extend plays with his athleticism. There are going to be times when he is going to take a sack when he could have gotten rid of the ball, or have the ball stripped loose while trying to extend a play. IMO, it is not bad behavior, and rarely is it the result of carelessness or bad decison making. It is inevitable that his style of play will result in a bad play now and then; however, those are far outweighed by all of the good to great plays that result from his athleticism.

He is a smart kid who is getting better and better at understanding the game and how his style of play works within it. Since his first year, he has continuously improved in taking care of his body, making better decisions, making fewer mistakes, and knowing when/how to use his athleticism - all while still staying within his style of play. He is only going to get better.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

So one of the best QBs in football is about to get even better????  QB’s don’t do that!  Once Todd McShay, Terry Bradshaw and other well-known prospect pundits say you’re inaccurate it’s gospel, I thought...

The most physically gifted QB in the NFL, just shocked the world with his improvements and hasn’t even reached the 20th floor in his 30 floor armory of a skill set and ...  he’s a Buffalo Bill...

Good lord things in WNY have gotten neat!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

The point was not Mahomes has flaws to me, but Allen needs to step into the pocket and not think he can always evade the rush vs. all too often feel he can use his athleticism to get out of trouble. The problem is for many teams, his strategy works and thus reinforces bad behavior.  We go ooh,  aww, and we should be thinking, what are you stupid, step into the pocket. 

This is one area where Rodgers has excelled. If you go back and look at his career you’ll find that when Rodgers has excellent guards he almost always escapes through the C or D gaps after the DE’s have committed to running the arc. Running backwards is a patch to extend plays with poor interior line play. It would be nice to have some dominant guard play so Allen can rely on escaping horizontally as that presses shallow zones and frees up receivers. 

Id like to see him get more comfortable under center and get his handoffs & PA fakes to look the same. That will help our running game and freeze LBers and safeties longer on PA passes. Gotta admit, it’s pretty awesome that we’re all talking about smaller aspects of his game. Before the season started I didn’t think Allen would be this damn good this fast. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

Allen will improve just by watching games he struggled in. This will be a big film offseason for him.

Agreed....but it still is a physically challenging off-season as well. He came a long way from year two to three. He needs to continue the hard work with repititions, not only to maintain what he has gained, but to become better and not slip back to old habbits. I know he will do just that. He is an extremely hard worker and won't want to let his teammates down.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Uconn, you know what’s funny is on NFL Matchup, this exact problem of a QB continuing to go back to evade pressure vs. stepping into the pocket is what guess who...  Oat Mahomes.  Cosell and crew were stating Mahomes makes it very difficult to block for him because when he keeps going backward, it’s easier for edge rushers to get around the tackles to get to him.  The point of the clip was KC does have some flaws, amd this is one of them.  The problem is we didn’t have the rushers to get to Mahomes, but KC did have the juice.

The point was not Mahomes has flaws to me, but Allen needs to step into the pocket and not think he can always evade the rush vs. all too often feel he can use his athleticism to get out of trouble. The problem is for many teams, his strategy works and thus reinforces bad behavior.  We go ooh,  aww, and we should be thinking, what are you stupid, step into the pocket.  It also symbolizes we needed healthy WR’s out there.  Playing all of the guys with an oblique, knee, ankle, broken leg was a mistake.  Diggs would’ve been ok, but we should’ve considered Still and McKenzie. Replace them with two of the other guys.

in order to step up into the pocket, you cannot your OG being thrown into your face on every play

take note on things to fix for 2021

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have no worries that Allen will spend the majority of the off-season obsessively looking to get better just like he has the first 3 seasons...that type of hunger and drive is internal and can't be taught. It is just who he is.

If I was a betting man he will pick apart his tape from both Chief losses and try and figure out how to fix his issues there.