Stafford is officially my new favorite non-Bill (refused trade to Pats)

Virgil

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/turns-out-matthew-stafford-coming-foxboro-was-never-going-happen

If this gets merged with the trade thread, so be it. 

However, this is the greatest news out of the NFL I’ve heard since our game.  

Stafford will be drafted in my FFL going forward.  

To the king 🍺 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 7

• Virgil changed the title to Stafford is officially my new favorite non-Bill (refused trade to Pats)
5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Do we think this is because he doesn’t like the Pats roster, and doesn’t trust them to bring in talent ? or doesn’t he want to deal with Belichick  ? 

No wide receivers, no tight ends, and outdoor northeast weather. And our buddy fatty too as previously pointed out.

• Agree 2

The article’s mention of weather as being determinative in some way, I think is a red herring—if that were the case then go ahead and say he ruled out all outdoor northern cities. Patricia going back there and Hoodie’s anti-player working ethos as a coach sealed the deal imho. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The article’s mention of weather as being determinative in some way, I think is a red herring—if that were the case then go ahead and say he ruled out all outdoor northern cities. Patricia going back there and Hoodie’s anti-player working ethos as a coach sealed the deal imho. 

I agree, but God forbid an article is written that questions the “Patriot Way”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

There are enough former Patriots in Detroit who would have been able to advise Stafford on the vibe here. Also, Stafford just lived through the Matt Patricia Era in Detroit. The former Patriots defensive coordinator ran a .500 franchise under Jim Caldwell onto the rocks in less than three seasons. Patricia has rejoined the Patriots staff this offseason. Probably not a selling point.

I would think not.

• Haha (+1) 1

This might end up being filed under 'what goes around, comes around'.

"And now, for a localized aftershock: Stafford told the Lions they could send him anywhere but New England." (Quoted from  the referenced article)

I think the 'cold weather, outdoors' thing might be overblown. ;)

• Like (+1) 2

That is cool but at the same time it is clear the Patriots will attempt to find a QB.  And it seems QB's are more likely than ever to move teams.  That along with their cap space will probably mean they will find at least a decent QB sometime in the near future.

57 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Do we think this is because he doesn’t like the Pats roster, and doesn’t trust them to bring in talent ? or doesn’t he want to deal with Belichick  ? 

I would guess it is becasue the Pats offensive roster is probably worse than what he is leaving behind in Detroit. He also got a little taset of the "Patriot way" from the previous coach, Matt Patrica...who I believe is returning to New England.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

That is cool but at the same time it is clear the Patriots will attempt to find a QB.  And it seems QB's are more likely than ever to move teams.  That along with their cap space will probably mean they will find at least a decent QB sometime in the near future.

That's been clear since last year.  The trick is finding one and they're running out of options on the trade market.  Meanwhile they still need lots of help at the skill positions.

This year is shot to the brow of the Patriot way.  Also, the establishment mindset in the NFL.  Arians is the complete opposite of NE, and traditional NFL thought.  He wasnt coach material with the ways he carried himself for much of his career.  

The NFL is about dudes.  Yes, smart coaches with managment and coaches working together is needed.  You win by having the best players and the best humans at chuking the pigskin.  

Chris Simms is a hardcore football guy.  Played a game with a punctured spleen.  His first year out of fooball went to be a coach in NE and said "Nope", after the year.  Hes brought uo how other coaches laugh at his experiance and it doesnt need to be that way.  They feel thats what make them better.  No guys it was the GOAT at qb.  I understand both converging made it a rediculous run.  Subtract the GOAT from the equation lets see what happens going forward with that same mindset and player treatment.

Imo much of the NFL sees NE as football hell.  Without the great players playing for less I dont see it working in 2021 and beyond.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I think...

1 doesn’t want to be behind Buffalo and Thrn you have fins snd jets

2 he like Rams have much more pieces than NE in defense and recrivers

3 nfc west plays Detroit next year.  
4. he wants to follow Brady lead in someway where I was good but on a crappy team, and Brady shows it was me who carried the team.
5. he thinks he has a better dhot in nfc west to win division

Edited by djp14150