Imagine what the package would be for Josh?

3 hours ago, eball said:

I know the thread is about what Josh might fetch in light of the Stafford trade, but to me it’s a moot point since it’s franchise suicide to trade a bonafide top 5 QB in the prime of his career.

In that regard, I still don’t believe Watson will be traded.  The Texans have to find a way to make that work.

Coddled NFL players don't understand what a contract is......both sides have to live up.   And, I don't think Watson and Josh are interchangeable.  My stong preference is JA.....and the ceiling is still higher imho.

Edited by bigK14094
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Man the amount of people who wanna trade Josh on here is surprising well we should call the Niners...since he grew up a Niners fan...we get Jimmy G and 3 number ones.... and then put Josh in a system that includes George Kittle, The Niners running game, and a guy like Debo Samuel to throw to and we can see how he does  

I wouldn’t want to trade Allen either, but you have to at least consider a deal involving multiple firsts and players...  if we could get a few very high firsts.  Could play money ball a bit and find a stud QB on a rookie deal for next 5 years rather than playing a kings ransom for Allen soon. 

Above said, Allen is Buffalo through and through... and you can never be certain a QB prospect will pan out. Would make it much harder for me to pull the trigger. 

Josh surely deserves a monster contract. 

That said, I'm sure manangment will want the deal structured to avoid the Wentz/ Goff problem.  Both are due large guaranteed money -- over $50 million -- and that makes it difficult to trade/ cut a player if his performance drops off.

LA had to give up much more than it would have had to, had Goff's contract not been guaranteed.

Perhaps Josh gets a contract loaded with incentives but also protection against injury.

Opinions?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

The real question is what it would look like, compared to the Joe Webb package :bag:

(P.S. How was I the first one to go here? How?)

I was trying to take the high road this time ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Josh surely deserves a monster contract. 

That said, I'm sure manangment will want the deal structured to avoid the Wentz/ Goff problem.  Both are due large guaranteed money -- over $50 million -- and that makes it difficult to trade/ cut a player if his performance drops off.

LA had to give up much more than it would have had to, had Goff's contract not been guaranteed.

Perhaps Josh gets a contract loaded with incentives but also protection against injury.

Opinions?

Why would Josh sign that?

One bad hit and he loses millions and millions of dollars

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:28 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I would never trade Josh period the guy is Buffalo.  After the Stafford deal yesterday my goodness teams like the Saints, Bears, or Niners would probably offer at least 3 ones to start with.  

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but more geared towards Watson as in if Stafford got this much how will a team ever have enough picks to make that trade.  The other day was hearing that Stafford may be worth two 2nd rounders and a 3rd then this came out.

But then as I read some about it, it appears the main reason Detroit got what they got, wasn't at all due to Staffords abilities, but was mainly due to taking on Goff's huge contract.  Likely would see a similar thing if Wentz were traded.  Detroit likely got an extra #1 just for taking on the contract.  This was kind of like that Cleveland trade a couple years back

Would have been interested to be a fly on the wall during trade negotiations.  OK we'll take a 2nd and 3rd for Stafford.  Wait you want us to take Goff, OK price just tripled.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Why would Josh sign that?

One bad hit and he loses millions and millions of dollars

That's a significant problem.  The trend now seems to be to sign good QBs to monster guaranteed contracts.  That's ok if the QB continues to perform at a hign level but if his performance trails off it's a hugh problem for the club.  Other teams would likely take that risk to sign Josh so the Bills may be forced to give a humongous guaranteed contract and hope.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:17 AM, McBean said:

I’d trade Josh for Watson straight up.

I love Allen too btw, but I think DW is a a little better. 

I'd rather not deal with a QB who while under contract, is demanding a trade.  Sorry, but no thanks.  I don't care what the organization has said / done.  He signed a contract and he doesn't want to honor his contract.  I'd stay away from someone like that.  Period.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Bills fans overrate the ***** out of Allen.

I'd easily would trade him for Stafford or Watson. 

For f$#!ki#$g stafford??? Really??? When is the last time stafford led a team to a conference championship game? The playoffs? A winning season? Hell when is the last time he even made any SVP highlight reel worthy plays?

JA only been in league for 3 years. Playoffs back to back last 2 years and played in conference championship. Broke every franchise record along the way, led league in various passing statistics.

Are you out of touch with reality?

Stafford only ever good QB with megatron one of best receivers all time.

Josh was wowing bills fans in year 1 with a band of nobodies and year 2 his #1 receiver was john brown. 

Edited by BillsFan692

On 1/31/2021 at 8:55 AM, eball said:

I know the thread is about what Josh might fetch in light of the Stafford trade, but to me it’s a moot point since it’s franchise suicide to trade a bonafide top 5 QB in the prime of his career.

In that regard, I still don’t believe Watson will be traded.  The Texans have to find a way to make that work.

Eman, nailed it.  Andrew Brandt, the guy who is regularly interviewed on many venues (for those who don’t know him he was one of the top dogs at GB for years and an agent on the other side) states the Texans will never allow a trade and will call his bluff beyond May.  Once the draft is over, the only thing Watson has for leverage is holding out a year and loses $25 mil. And it starts all over again.  Look how well that went for Bell.  He lost $14.5 mil (Steelers offer), and although he made $14.96 mil. from the Jets in 2019, he only made between the Jets and Chiefs $5.5 mil.  It was the worst decision a RB could ever make and he never will make it up.  Watson won’t either.

So with Allen, not for all the $ in the world or 100 draft picks.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2