Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure it was just to do them a favor. He took the contract but he actually wanted Goff as part of the package. He was Director of College Scouting for the Rams and reportedly a driving force on drafting Goff. He may also see value in 2 picks over 2022-23 over one this year. based on where the lions are in their rebuild, and where the scouting challenges are this year in general let alone starting from scratch with new systems etc. 

And maybe the Rams perform worse in 2021, making the 1st rounder in 2022 better.

7 hours ago, mannc said:

To me, the numbers look pretty similar.  I just take issue with the knee-jerk assumption that LA just got a massive upgrade at the position.

Oh, to me too.  I see them both as incomplete QB but with somewhat different gaps in their game.

I thought it was interesting that Stafford is below average in what many regard as the "money" regions for a QB - those  0-10 yd throws to the center and R not to mention the behind the LOS checkdowns to the R.  Lots of "Devil in the details" of course.

Also thought it was interesting that Goff was below average to the deep R and C.  If it's a throwing problem, well, Allen did show that for the motivated QB, these can be addressed, but maybe it's a WR or a scheme problem.

Just now, Doc said:

And maybe the Rams perform worse in 2021, making the 1st rounder in 2022 better.

Those are the things you really can’t control. Who knows what the Rams record will be. They project to be good but a key injury here or there and they are the Lions.  I think it was wise to look at those 2022-23 picks as very valuable to their rebuild. Even could package and trade up for a QB if they decide Goff isn’t the future. I really like what the Lions are doing. Not sold on the HC but not going to judge a HC on intro presser.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I guess it depends upon what you think about the upcoming drafts.  

Maybe they view multiple picks going forward as better than the #8 pick this year, especially if they truly think they are 2 or 3 years away and need to revamp the entire roster.

This years draft with the lack of college games played and no combine and limited visits makes it much more difficult.  Maybe the Lions think the next couple of years will allow better scouting and player development than this off season.

Just a few thoughts on that. 

Now if Carolina offered the #8 and a number 1 next year and maybe Bridgewater - then maybe I think the Lions just did the Rams a favor, but the fact that the picks are next year and the year after does not bother me because I would have a longer term view in Detroit.

Goff is a MUCH better player than Bridgewater, who is backup-level. A decent backup, but a backup nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Those are the things you really can’t control. Who knows what the Rams record will be. They project to be good but a key injury here or there and they are the Lions.  I think it was wise to look at those 2022-23 picks as very valuable to their rebuild. Even could package and trade up for a QB if they decide Goff isn’t the future. I really like what the Lions are doing. Not sold on the HC but not going to judge a HC on intro presser.

I don't see Stafford moving the needle much for the Rams, meaning at best the 1st rounder in 2022 is the same as this coming season.  But if the Rams falter, it's a better pick.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

An interesting wrinkle to this that nobody seems to be talking about: Detroit’s GM turned down a better offer from Carolina (a top 10 pick) to do his old team a favor (he was just hired away from the Rams a few weeks ago).

Maybe he ultimately just wanted to do Stafford a solid and was okay with the Rams package but it’s clearly worse than the #8 overall pick in this years draft. This was not a case of Detroit getting the best value they could for their asset and it just so happened to benefit the GM’s old bosses. 

The Panthers couldn’t offer a pretty good qb as part of the deal. The Rams could. The Lions do actually need a decent qb for the 2021 season.

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah he was.  They were so desperate for an upgrade they started a backup over him in the playoffs using the thumb injury as an excuse.

Truly awful take.  Goff broke and dislocated the thumb on his throwing hand in the Week 16 game.   He had surgery and missed Week 17.

It was really a stretch to think he'd play in the playoffs - a Warrior mentality thing.  Legit questions how effective any QB could be with a broken thumb on his throwing hand.

Obviously the Rams thought they needed an upgrade but starting their backup had nothing to do with that and everything to do with the broken thumb/surgery

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Goff is a MUCH better player than Bridgewater, who is backup-level. A decent backup, but a backup nonetheless.

No kidding, but most people seem to think LA had to throw an extra 1st and a 3rd to include Goff.

The poster I was responding to basically said the Panthers was a better offer with just the number 8 this year rather than 2 #1s and Goff.  I don’t think that is necessarily the case.  Especially as you need time to build and regrow the team.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Truly awful take.  Goff broke and dislocated the thumb on his throwing hand in the Week 16 game.   He had surgery and missed Week 17.

It was really a stretch to think he'd play in the playoffs - a Warrior mentality thing.  Legit questions how effective any QB could be with a broken thumb on his throwing hand.

Obviously the Rams thought they needed an upgrade but starting their backup had nothing to do with that and everything to do with the broken thumb/surgery

this came up on nfl radio.  brady quinn mentioned that typically if the starter was hurt enough to not start, why even dress him?  if the starter can play in any capacity, he should...especially in a playoff game.  

1 minute ago, teef said:

this came up on nfl radio.  brady quinn mentioned that typically if the starter was hurt enough to not start, why even dress him?  if the starter can play in any capacity, he should...especially in a playoff game.  

The difference here is that Goff had surgery just 2 weeks before the game.

I think the hate has gone way too far on Goff. I don’t think he’s great but they won a lot of games and went to a SB. I think Stafford is better but do I think they are that much better with him than Goff? Not really. 

it’s weird to say it but Detroit made an awesome trade for a player who didn’t want to be there. They test drive Goff for a season and set up their future really well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The difference here is that Goff had surgery just 2 weeks before the game.

then why dress?  i get that it's for an emergency situation, but apparently he was boarder line to dress.  if it was the same situation with the bills, do you think they'd let barkley play?  i'd assume they'd still go with josh, even with a broken thumb, unless they absolutely couldn't.

20 minutes ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

is Goff really chopped liver to everyone in trade value? Haven't seen him play much this year.

I think the thought is McVay basically tells Goff what to do and he just does half reads. He is limited in his physical tools. But the guy was a number 1 overall pick and has a better resume than a lot of guys at similar stages of their career. Also, he gets to play in a dome for at least 9 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the hate has gone way too far on Goff. I don’t think he’s great but they won a lot of games and went to a SB. I think Stafford is better but do I think they are that much better with him than Goff? Not really. 

it’s weird to say it but Detroit made an awesome trade for a player who didn’t want to be there. They test drive Goff for a season and set up their future really well. 

I say win-win trade. I think the Lions clearly win, getting Goff and 1st rounders, dumping off their aging franchise quarterback and getting a whole slew of assets to build with. And Goff certainly isn't that much worse than Matty.

The Rams just because their MO has always seemed win now, sloughing off high picks, going for it all in FA. I still think Matty Stafford can win on a good team. Multiple veterans around the league rave about how he can sling the football.

Edited by FormerlyPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Given their history, they'll likely waste the draft picks.  As well as Goff.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

then why dress?  i get that it's for an emergency situation, but apparently he was boarder line to dress.  if it was the same situation with the bills, do you think they'd let barkley play?  i'd assume they'd still go with josh, even with a broken thumb, unless they absolutely couldn't.

Because the next QB is even worse than an injured Goff.