Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

If my name is Kenny Golloday I am ruining full speed out of Detroit right now (hopefully he doesn’t injure himself doing it) 

Golloday is one of my favorite players though in all seriousness. 

Goff hasn't hurt Cooper Kupp or Bob Woods careers.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

What we have seen from the offense is he likes PA roll out and mobility with quick decisions.

The offense at its best had a high throughput RB and Goff was hitting quick throws to RB/TEs outside and WRs on crossing routes.  Lots of misdirection and movement.

Stafford with his various injuries is no longer that mobile QB or a guy that can sprint out for wide handoffs.  He is more of a drop back - pocket passer that hits WRs outside the numbers and TEs on the seams.

The Rams offense maintained its strength attacking the edge and then bringing WRs across the field in the opposite direction of the motion into cleared out areas.  I think Stafford forces it back to a more conventional offense with drop backs and straight hand offs attacking the middle of the field.  Basically to me - Stafford brings more experience and a better arm, but you lose McVays creativity to scheme people open with motion and roll-outs.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat. The Bills’ offense changed dramatically once Allen became capable of different skills. McVay is a bright guy and I don’t see why he’s not capable of designing an offense that plays to Stafford’s strengths. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You may be right about the cap.  But while I could certainly be wrong, I think Stafford is no Drew Brees. 

On the one hand, I have to admire the Rams for taking that "Good is the Enemy of Great" "Can't change the Results by keeping things the same" attitude.

On the other hand, like I said (and I could be wrong) I see Stafford as being a flawed QB, just different flaws than Goff.

Brees is certainly the greater QB historically..........but it's my contention that the reason why the Saints failed in their most recent few years is because the older, weaker armed Brees was physically spent when they reached the playoffs.    This year......with the broken ribs.......was just an exclamation point on that point.  Stafford is a younger, much stronger armed QB.    I also really like and trust McVay.    He got a ton out of Goff.......Stafford is the far superior talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Goff hasn't hurt Cooper Kupp or Bob Woods careers.

Goff hasn’t hurt their careers cause they’re huge run after catch receivers. Golloday is a 50 yard go up and get it deep threat. 
Goff isn’t exactly known for his deep pass game. 
Jones, Hockenson and Swift are gonna love Goff. I just don’t see Golloday having success with him. Won’t matter cause they’re probably franchise tagging him and he won’t get a choice

I think this trade is a lose-lose for both teams.  The Rams gave up so much that they won't be able to maintain the quality of their roster with top-notch rookies to replace veterans who are reaching the end of their rookie contracts.  The Lions lose a top-notch QB and replace him with a guy who can pass well under good conditions but who doesn't handle pressure or poor weather conditions.  The Lions do get high picks in return but their draft success record is terrible.

Sign Mango and put him at Center.  Speed at rb.  I like the idea of Hines if he gets away from Indy.  I think a speed guy and Moss at back.  Singletary dresses or doesnt.  

Overall, Buffalo doesnt need to run more.  Just more effective when they do.  I think Buffalo brings in a guy to be the lead guy.  Im curious where they go.  

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Brees is certainly the greater QB historically..........but it's my contention that the reason why the Saints failed in their most recent few years is because the older, weaker armed Brees was physically spent when they reached the playoffs.    This year......with the broken ribs.......was just an exclamation point on that point.  Stafford is a younger, much stronger armed QB.    I also really like and trust McVay.    He got a ton out of Goff.......Stafford is the far superior talent.  

Can't disagree about the older, weaker armed Brees no longer being able to...well, to be Brees in the playoffs.  This year, Brees was like the Ghost of Peyton Manning his last season.

I don't see Stafford as the "far superior talent" to Goff, myself.  I see him as a stronger armed QB who is now in his 30s and has taken an unholy beating for years.  I see him as having different strengths and weaknesses. 

I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We can afford those risks because we have a QB capable of playing at a top 5 level. At this point it's about building the team around him and maximizing our chances before he has a massive cap hit. The Rams are in the opposite position. They have a Super Bowl caliber roster without a QB capable of taking advantage. I don't believe Stafford is that QB. And if I'm right they'll have wasted more assets that they could have maybe used to trade up for a young QB capable of becoming elite. And 3 years from now the Rams will still be in purgatory and they won't have a franchise QB and they won't have any young blue chip players to develop.

By the way I would love for Stafford to prove me wrong. I have nothing against him. If he can finally elevate his play to an elite level this will be a great trade for the Rams.

I mean, Josh was capable of doing that one year. That has no guarantee.

Again, with the purgatory?? Insanity. They are trying to win a championship and they have came close. That’s not purgatory.

17 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Tell me about it. I really thought he would slide right in behind Rivers. Now everyone waits to see where Watson goes.

Houston GM and coach say they're not trading him.

Why should they?  He led the league in passing this year.  He'll just have to cool it and play football like he signed a contract to do.

If I was Houston I wouldn't trade him.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Houston GM and coach say they've not trading him.

Why should they?  He led the league in passing this year.  He'll just have to cool it and play football like he signed a contract to do.

If I was Houston I wouldn't trade him.

I apologize for the double quote. Since they put the Quote button where the Edit button used to be I'm still not used to it.  Also there is no cancel.  Hopefully I'll remember next time.

Edited by reddogblitz

57 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. 
It usually doesn’t end well for teams that get into this “OMG our best players are moving out of their prime years and the salary cap hammer is awaiting, we have to go for it right now with the best player available” mode. 

Do we watch the same NFL? 

You have to go all-in if you want to compete. No team sits around and just rests on their laurels and falls into the Super Bowl.

23 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

There’s more than one way to skin a cat. The Bills’ offense changed dramatically once Allen became capable of different skills. McVay is a bright guy and I don’t see why he’s not capable of designing an offense that plays to Stafford’s strengths. 

McVay is bright, but they have spent years building the offense to fit the strength of Goff.  The current WR set with Kupp and Woods are not necessarily fits for the strength Stafford.  The offense/line/WRs/TEs all have years in that system.  I expect they are going try to fit Stafford in as much as possible into the current system.

It might work - I don’t expect they will be worse, but I don’t think they are significantly better with Stafford and based upon the salaries- it doesn’t look like a big savings for the Rams.  

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can't disagree about the older, weaker armed Brees no longer being able to...well, to be Brees in the playoffs.  This year, Brees was like the Ghost of Peyton Manning his last season.

I don't see Stafford as the "far superior talent" to Goff, myself.  I see him as a stronger armed QB who is now in his 30s and has taken an unholy beating for years.  I see him as having different strengths and weaknesses. 

I guess we'll see.

My hope is Brees ends back up in Indiana with the Colts.

That team is pretty loaded and has a lot of cap space.    Glad they didn't get a long term solution in Stafford.

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I did not say they they would win or are better with Goff.

He might even be on the move again....the Leos could just flip him to another NFC team for more pics.

I heard the Bears were interested in Stafford....that would never happen unless they gave their next 4 1sts ;)

Who is going to give up picks to take on that contract?? The Lions would literally have to give them picks to make that trade.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I think this trade is a lose-lose for both teams.  The Rams gave up so much that they won't be able to maintain the quality of their roster with top-notch rookies to replace veterans who are reaching the end of their rookie contracts.  The Lions lose a top-notch QB and replace him with a guy who can pass well under good conditions but who doesn't handle pressure or poor weather conditions.  The Lions do get high picks in return but their draft success record is terrible.

It makes perfect sense based on where the Lions are right now. Worst

case scenario: they’re stuck with Goff for 2 more seasons - 2 seasons in which they don’t have a realistic chance of competing. Then comes 2023 - 2024, they can move on from Goff, they’ve go the draft capital to do a whole lot of interesting things, Aaron Rodgers (and Kirk Cousins to the extent that even matters) are gone, and unless they do something totally idiotic (not impossible) they are poised for a run. You can say they’ll screw up the draft, etc. And yes, but lots of people said the same things about the Bills. Until they didn’t. 

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Do we watch the same NFL? 

You have to go all-in if you want to compete. No team sits around and just rests on their laurels and falls into the Super Bowl.

I watch the NFL in which Doug Marrone went all in (see Darius, Marcel) when he thought the Jags were right there. And the one in which the Vikings went all in on Kirk Cousins for the same reasons. 
This isn’t Tom Brady or Peyton Manning you’re picking up. It’s a 33 year old who’s never won a playoff game (and yes, he did play for some good teams), who’s taken a beating, and who really isn’t a huge upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I watch the NFL in which Doug Marrone went all in (see Darius, Marcel) when he thought the Jags were right there. And the one in which the Vikings went all in on Kirk Cousins for the same reasons. 
This isn’t Tom Brady or Peyton Manning you’re picking up. It’s a 33 year old who’s never won a playoff game (and yes, he did play for some good teams), who’s taken a beating, and who really isn’t a huge upgrade. 

Yes the Jags and Vikings historically have had so much sustained success that going all-in for trips to the conference championship was basically unnecessary. They have been there like every year before they doubled down.

They went in just like the Eagles went in. They won the Super Bowl.

Edited by FireChans