Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

19 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

"Sometimes, you have to look beyond the obvious to see how things work in the future. The Rams got a much, much, better quarterback at a time when they have everything else they need to contend. The Lions just hamstrung themselves with a supremely limited quarterback at a time when they’re going through a massive rebuild. Draft picks or not, the Rams won this trade in a landslide, and that’s why."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-rams-won-stafford-goff-044505617.html

The article offers zero evidence in support of its main premise—That Matt Stafford is a MUCH better QB than Jared Goff.

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well... he did play for the Lions. Probably the worst run franchise in the sport. 

Lot of competition for that title...

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Stafford has hardly been without weapons in his career in Detroit.  The absence of a great running back is a weak excuse for his lack of success...

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Stafford has hardly been without weapons in his career in Detroit.  The absence of a great running back is a weak excuse for his lack of success...

He's the fastest player in NFL history to 40K yards. What's your measure of success? Superbowl wins? Playoff wins?

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

The article offers zero evidence in support of its main premise—That Matt Stafford is a MUCH better QB than Jared Goff.

Lot of competition for that title...

The lack of 100-yard rushers can be attributed to a terrible offensive line as well as a lack of a great running back.  I think Stafford played behind poor protectors, if I recall correctly.  That surely had to affect his play and success, or lack thereof, no?

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

People need to pump the brakes a little on Stafford.  He was 0-3 in the playoffs  and even had Megatron. I think he'll help the Rams over the next couple years but after that the effect of losing all these picks for players like Ramsey & Stafford will take their toll.

Lol, the Rams were supposedly dead last year without their first round picks. One year later and they are back to competing in the postseason.

Sean McVay has never had a losing season. He’s done this with a QB who is viewed as a negative asset by the NFL. Waiting for the ball to drop is taking awhile.

Edited by FireChans

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He’s more talented and McVay is betting on talent. Betting on talent is the way to go, I think.

The question is can you win a Super Bowl without your QB playing at a top 5 level? The final 4 teams this year had arguably the 4 best QBs in the league. Stafford has always been on the borderline of top 10 QB but he's never played at that elite level. I question if any team can beat KC in the playoffs without elite QB play. San Fran showed you the ceiling of that style last year. Stafford is better than Garrappolo but I'm not sure it's a big enough difference to matter.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But why is that?  He didn’t want to follow in the footsteps of the GOAT?  Didn’t want hard coaching?

Bad taste in his mouth after the Matt Patricia experience?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The question is can you win a Super Bowl without your QB playing at a top 5 level? The final 4 teams this year had arguably the 4 best QBs in the league. Stafford has always been on the borderline of top 10 QB but he's never played at that elite level. I question if any team can beat KC in the playoffs without elite QB play. San Fran showed you the ceiling of that style last year. Stafford is better than Garrappolo but I'm not sure it's a big enough difference to matter.

Every team in the NFL can’t just fold up and tank and let the Chiefs win every year.

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

He's the fastest player in NFL history to 40K yards. What's your measure of success? Superbowl wins? Playoff wins?

How about just wins?  And if you want to talk about yards, Goff passed for more yards and YPA the past four seasons (Goff’s only ones as a starter) than Stafford.

6 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

The lack of 100-yard rushers can be attributed to a terrible offensive line as well as a lack of a great running back.  I think Stafford played behind poor protectors, if I recall correctly.  That surely had to affect his play and success, or lack thereof, no?

Poor OLine, poor RBs, and poor defenses. Other than that though, he was set up well for success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Bad taste in his mouth after the Matt Patricia experience?

Every team in the NFL can’t just fold up and tank and let the Chiefs win every year.

It's not about tanking, it's about being realistic and spending your draft picks accordingly. Every team in the league with Super Bowl aspirations should be making their decisions with the question "does this help me beat KC?" in mind. I don't think trading multiple high picks for Stafford is a yes to that question. But it's also really really hard to find a QB capable of playing at that level so it's a tough question. Does Stafford make them more competitive? Yes. Does he help them win a Super Bowl in the Mahomes era? I have my doubts.

Edited by HappyDays

Just now, HappyDays said:

It's not about tanking, it's about being realistic and spending your draft picks accordingly. Every team in the league with Super Bowl aspirations should be making their decisions with the question "does this help me beat KC?" in mind. I don't think trading multiple high picks for Stafford is a yes to that question. But it's also really really hard to find a QB capable of playing at that level so it's a tough question. Does Stafford make them more competitive? Yes. Does he help them win a Super Bowl? I have my doubts.

What move is a yes to that question besides trading for Patrick Mahomes instead?

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

How about just wins?  And if you want to talk about yards, Goff passed for more yards and YPA the past four seasons (Goff’s only ones as a starter) than Stafford.

Matt Stafford is better than Goff. We know for certain 2 teams agree with that.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Matt Stafford is better than Goff. We know for certain 2 teams agree with that.

No question that the Rams think that, but I would argue that NFL teams often are pretty lousy at evaluating QBs—even their own QBs.

Just now, mannc said:

No question that the Rams think that, but I would argue that NFL teams often are pretty lousy at evaluating QBs—even their own QBs.

The Lions too considering they asked for more compensation to take Goff.

I would argue fans are just as lousy.