Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Again, with the purgatory?? Insanity. They are trying to win a championship and they have came close. That’s not purgatory.

Being just good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win it all is the definition of NFL purgatory. And they have no assets to drag themselves out.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Being just good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win it all is the definition of NFL purgatory. And they have no assets to drag themselves out.

No dude, being a franchise like the Lions, Jets or the 2000-2017 Bills where you can’t get to the postseason and you have no QB is NFL purgatory.

If the 2000-2017 Bills were winning an average of a playoff game a year but never won a Super Bowl, they would be the same as the Saints since like 2009. 

That’s not purgatory. That’s an insult honestly to even consider calling that purgatory.

I hate the trade. Rams really mortgage future, and I just don't see the generalship of Stafford or him as a difference maker. He's never QB'd a remotely viable team. He'll put up some decent numbers, but it's just too much, on a team that's already dealt out too much for picks.

The good news is this puts the price of a FA QB up to the stratosphere, for Jets and Pats.

Edited by RichRiderBills

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t think Stafford is even close to Bledsoe. Bledsoe sucked. He was awful. Stafford is a more talented QB who has played on a ***** franchise his entire career. 

Well...

Honestly, man, Bledsoe was on a team who surged, and was competitive in a SB, and later pulled the team out of the fire to get to the SB in the 2001-2 season.  Until his injury, his numbers were decent in that era of football.

But at the end of the day my comparison is apt.  The Rams essentially bet the farm on Stafford, and we've all seen this here before (twice: first with Robosack and then with Bledsoe).  For their sake I hope that they can win a SB with Stafford, but time will tell.  Personally, I feel like giving up first rounders (for an old QB) is a horrible mistake in an era where football moves so quickly, but maybe the Rams have become a binge and purge squad.  Who can say?

Edited by Groin
  • Agree 1

What is Stafford’s ceiling and floor. Realistic ceiling: 4800yds, 30td, 10int

Realistic floor:  4000yds, 24td, 13int

What about Goff: 

Ceiling:  4600yds, 30td, 13int

floor:  3900yds, 21td, 15int

Maybe Stafford will come in and throw for 5000+ yds, 40tds, 10int. It could happen I dont think thats a realistic expectation. Hes done that once his entire career. 

11 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

What is Stafford’s ceiling and floor. Realistic ceiling: 4800yds, 30td, 10int

Realistic floor:  4000yds, 24td, 13int

What about Goff: 

Ceiling:  4600yds, 30td, 13int

floor:  3900yds, 21td, 15int

Maybe Stafford will come in and throw for 5000+ yds, 40tds, 10int. It could happen I dont think thats a realistic expectation. Hes done that once his entire career. 

I’d say their ceilings are identical...they have nearly indistinguishable numbers during the four years Goff has been a starter.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Probably a good trade for both teams tbh.  

i agree. I thought Goff played quite well this year and showed that he throws well on the run. I used to doubt Stafford as a Phillip Rivers type who used to heave it up the Charles Johnson who would always come down with it. Stafford's stats actually improved when Johnson retired. this will be an interesting one to watch

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’d say their ceilings are identical...they have nearly indistinguishable numbers during the four years Goff has been a starter.

So FWIW...while the overall #s are similar at a high level, there's this

Goff................................................................................................Stafford

image.thumb.png.6ba250353e3700110fd127e18ec9fa73.pngimage.thumb.png.87a222b4eac338f1d2c5442878903a32.png

Make of it what you will

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Detroit went almost 5 years without a 100 yard rusher in a game. Let that sink in.  If the Rams asked Goff to drop back and pass like Detroit asked Stafford to, Goff’s numbers would be a lot worse.  The Rams have one of the best records in the League since McVay took over.  Goff was complete garbage the year before McVay took over.  There’s a reason a bunch of teams wanted Stafford and a reason the Rams had to throw in sweeteners to get somebody to take Goff.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Rams before McVay, under Jeff Fisher were in (2012) 7-8-1, (2013)7-9, (2014) 6-10,(2015) 7-9,(2016) 4-12...the Rams hire McVay and immediately go 11-5 in 2017.

The very next season 13-3 and a SB berth. That Rams offense was so coveted (#2 overall) that the Packers hire away Rams OC Matt LaFleur.

Look where the Packers were this season under a rejuvenated QB Aaron Rodgers. 

Anyway, the thing is Sean McVay is noted to be an offensive guru and was hired to get the most out of Goff.  McVay didn't draft him!

McVay has seen Jared Goff's limitations first hand in building an offense around him. Goff is where he is because of his HC. He has clearly struggled at times winning games and running that offense. So much so that his HC/OC wants him gone. 

Just like Matt Stafford's overall win/loss record is the result of the crap coaching staffs/teams he has been on. Goff's record is the result on being on a top HC/OC's really, really good team. 

Clearly, Sean McVay thinks he can run a better team with a better QB in Stafford! I tend to agree.

We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, djp14150 said:

The amount given up surprises me.

Goff was not that bad.  He wasn’t the reason.

I felt if Stafford was traded Goff woukd come back and Thrn some things added.

Yeah he was.  They were so desperate for an upgrade they started a backup over him in the playoffs using the thumb injury as an excuse.

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Rams will not have a first round pick again until 2024. Their last first round pick was Jared Goff in 2016. 7 years between first round picks is kinda crazy. Might be more with the way they seem willing to trade them away.

Their mentality is like what we did with the Diggs trade... "Is there a player in the draft at that position, who can give me the same benefits as this player X. If so then trade for that player with the pick" 

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Their mentality is like what we did with the Diggs trade... "Is there a player in the draft at that position, who can give me the same benefits as this player X. If so then trade for that player with the pick" 

That was an exception for us not the norm. You can't take on huge contract after huge contract by trading for high priced players instead of having lower priced rookies on first contracts. Gonna blow up on them badly sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So FWIW...while the overall #s are similar at a high level, there's this

Goff................................................................................................Stafford

image.thumb.png.6ba250353e3700110fd127e18ec9fa73.pngimage.thumb.png.87a222b4eac338f1d2c5442878903a32.png

Make of it what you will

One was under contract and has years ahead of him.  The other is at the tail end off his career.

18 minutes ago, Chaos said:

How could that work given the saints cap situation? 

restructure a few guys, and cut a couple others. 

if you can send taysom to Houston in the package it’d be a huge win. 

Brees could officially retire after June 1 also as a zero impact to the roster but big cap swing option 

4 hours ago, Groin said:

Well...

Honestly, man, Bledsoe was on a team who surged, and was competitive in a SB, and later pulled the team out of the fire to get to the SB in the 2001-2 season.  Until his injury, his numbers were decent in that era of football.

But at the end of the day my comparison is apt.  The Rams essentially bet the farm on Stafford, and we've all seen this here before (twice: first with Robosack and then with Bledsoe).  For their sake I hope that they can win a SB with Stafford, but time will tell.  Personally, I feel like giving up first rounders (for an old QB) is a horrible mistake in an era where football moves so quickly, but maybe the Rams have become a binge and purge squad.  Who can say?

This is essentially my take on both points (Bledsoe and Stafford)

I wish the Rams well, but I'm not a fan of trading 2 1st round draft picks for a 32 yr old QB who has had the snot sacked out of him for more than a decade, trying his best to make something happen.

I know Tom Brady has played for a decade longer than that, but Brady has taken an average of 25 sacks per year.  Except for his 2nd season when he played only 3 games, Stafford has averaged 39 sacks per season.

He's tougher than leather, but a lot of his injuries read to me like things that add up in your 20s and hand you a bill as your 30s wear on 

• Like (+1) 2

This is the most lopsided trade I've seen since....the Hopkins deal (ok that was only 10 months ago, but this trade is pretty darn bad). 

If I'm rating how good Stafford and Goff are, I'd say that Stafford is the 10th best QB in the league and Goff is closer to 15th. I think both of them are closer to being average than they are to being elite. I don't see either of these guys ever winning a superbowl (maybe they could catch fire in the playoffs like Eli Manning). 

The Rams are giving up 2x firsts and 1x third for a slight upgrade at QB. A soon to be 33 year old QB that has a lot of wear and tear on his body. It's insane. It's the worst QB trade since Carson Palmer