Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

24 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Kupp is one of the best #1 receivers and Woods is one of the best #2 WRs

I don't think either player is one that you scheme to stop. They are great fits for that system though. Both players are tough and don't mind those inside routes and blocking. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What years are the two firsts they traded?

Stafford gets $20M this year and $23 next

Which I guess is better than $28M and $26M but only by a #2 WR or so.

I wonder if the two QB will swap houses? 

LA property is typically worth a lot more than Detroit property, but there is that imported Italian Marble Stafford installed.

Stafford has one of the biggest houses in the US I believe. Detroit has an area that is considered one of the the richest in the US. 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I did a bit of looking.

Detroit has about $2M in cap assuming a $176M floor

Stafford as trade leaves them with $19M in dead money, $14M savings vs. the $33M cap hit he had on the books this year. 

Goff will be due $27.5M in salary and roster bonus

So they're actually OK.  Stafford for Goff helps their cap a bit

The Rams, on the other hand, are $31.2M in red ink on cap space.

Goff as trade gives them $22M of dead cap and saves them $12.75M vs the $34.95M they had on the books

BUT, Stafford will be due $27,5M in salary and big honkin' roster bonus from the Rams.

So I think they're worse off and need $46M in cap

They may need to have a fire sale.  Think they'll move anyone we want?

Info is from Overthecap and may be off here and there from Spotrac

Not a Garoppolo fan?

I don't see Goff as being the QB for an Anthony Lynn offensive system in Detroit.

Darnold for a 3rd confirmed 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How many SB wins? How much better have they gotten in the last three years as they trade away those first round picks? How good is their cap situation as they trade away the chance to get good young players on rookie contracts for the chance to own older players on expensive second contracts?

Winning one post-season game this year and not making the playoffs last year should not be seen as a good result for a team that made the Super Bowl in 2018.

Lol if your standards are Super Bowl or bust, Sean McDermott should be fired. Zero Super Bowls!!!!

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Great post. Goff is not a bad qb at all — just not perfect. However, McVay’s semi-shameless lobbying for genius status and his tendency to lay the blame at Goff’s feet is what drives the narrative. It’s not what I’d call an accurate one.

Another Adam Gase in the making

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You may be right about the cap.  But while I could certainly be wrong, I think Stafford is no Drew Brees. 

On the one hand, I have to admire the Rams for taking that "Good is the Enemy of Great" "Can't change the Results by keeping things the same" attitude.

On the other hand, like I said (and I could be wrong) I see Stafford as being a flawed QB, just different flaws than Goff.

Living outside of Detroit from 2011-2016 and NOLA from 2016-present and seeing both QBs close up, I think you could make a pretty good argument that the Saints would have had a better shot at the SB the last 2 seasons with Stafford over Brees. Saints window with Brees basically closed after the missed PI call against the Rams, but they tried to extend it. Despite missing numerous games both seasons, in effect sparing some of his arm, Brees’ arm was dead come playoffs the last 2 seasons. They would have been better off continuing with the game plan they were using for Taysom Hill this season when Brees came back to avoid having Brees throw. 

There was talk locally (granted, pie in the sky given the cap situation, IMO) the Saints were going to make a play for Stafford. 

Re Rams with Stafford as opposed to Goff, Stafford can play and can rally when things go sideways, it’s leading where he needs the help. Unlike Detroit, the Rams have a solid locker room and veteran leaders. In addition to being less talented, Goff strikes me as even more milquetoast than Stafford and McVay managed to get them to the SB with him (albeit via a blown PI). I think Stafford in LA may surprise some people, and I think it’s a good gamble by the Rams and a pretty objective assessment of what was holding them back.

Also, spending what they did to bring in a 33 yo QB suggests they know what’s down the road a few seasons when the check comes and they have to purge the roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Completely agree.  Rams are probably the favorites to win NFC next year.  Detroit is probably the favorite for the #1 overall pick.  

totally agree and with the Rams most likely playing thier 1st season with fans in the new stadium in LA a splash was necessary.

Rams will not have a first round pick again until 2024. Their last first round pick was Jared Goff in 2016. 7 years between first round picks is kinda crazy. Might be more with the way they seem willing to trade them away.

If the Lions were really playing 3D chess (they never are), they’d flip Goff to the Bears for a 3rd and eat half the salary.  Then they’d be subsidizing a division rival having a mediocre QB (which is a colossal upgrade for the Bears) for a few years, plus some of the salary would come off their books.  

4 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

totally agree and with the Rams most likely playing thier 1st season with fans in the new stadium in LA a splash was necessary.

Please look at their passing statistics the last four seasons and explain to me why Stafford is a huge upgrade from Jared Goff...

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Those GMs should probably not be GMs. Goff is precisely the type of QB teams should constantly be trying to replace IMO. A talented passer but he just doesn’t have it between the ears at all. If a play doesn’t play out exactly as expected, he’s screwed. 

What about the GM that gave Goff that horrendous contract?  Should they not be a GM?  I think part of the trade had to do with the Rams paying penance for giving that contract to Goff (who they obviously did not completely believe in) and trying to rid themselves of that awful sin and the taint that goes with it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1