Stafford to Rams!!

BillsMafi$

Stafford went for Goff, two firsts and a third and in a situation where he and Detroit had agreed he could go.

The price for Deshaun Watson just went up. 

From the Rams perspective..... the pressure is on Sean McVay for the first time now. He has pinned two years of offensive inconsistency on Jared Goff. But the tape shows a different story. Goff has some blame to take, make no mistake, but the league has caught up to McVay and his playcalling at times has been beyond predictable. I am like Tony Romo watching them play.... I can call out their play with about 60% accuracy when they get to the line. If I can do that imagine what top professional players and coaches make of it. The excuses are gone for McVay now. If he can't revive the offense with Stafford his seat will warm up.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Now with their picks and the Rams picks - do the Lions have enough ammo to go after Watson?

I am sure Watson would block that trade, but it gives Houston an NFC team that could trade potentially #7 this year and several future #1 picks and throw in Goff if they want the QB to get a franchise QB.

I can’t see it, but if provides Ammo they did not have before.

The Rams are trying to ensure they never have another 1st round pick ever. I don't ever recall a team being this cavalier with their 1st round picks...maybe the Seahawks during their Super Bowl run but I don't even think they traded this many first round picks away.

At least he didn't go to the Pats.

32 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Pad Statford to a winning team.....lets see if he can get it done now.

Huge price for the Rams...it looks like the Leos new GM hit a homerun on his first swing :)

How? The Lions got a much more limited QB on a longer deal making a lot more money, and had to eat a bunch of dead money from Stafford's contract on top of that.

Are those #1 picks going to help Goff become a top half of the NFL QB? I doubt it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Rams are trying to ensure they never have another 1st round pick ever. I don't ever recall a team being this cavalier with their 1st round picks...maybe the Seahawks during their Super Bowl run but I don't even think they traded this many first round picks away.

How? The Lions got a much more limited QB on a longer deal making a lot more money, and had to eat a bunch of dead money from Stafford's contract on top of that.

Are those #1 picks going to help Goff become a top half of the NFL QB? I doubt it.

I think the Lions are in full rebuild mode.

The cap hit is just a necessary business expense.

They obviously felt they had one valuable asset(see Hershel Walker Dallas to Minny)  and decided to cash their chips in.

My way of looking at it is that they could not win with Stafford so lets get the most we can now.

Bold move by the new GM. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Back in Da Day when Tyrod Taylor roamed the Bills backfield and Jared Goff was a bemused rookie seeking his way in the wasteland of the 2016 Rams offense, I did a Thing where I looked at success rates drafting QB.

First thing I realized was that I had to decide what success looked like for a QB - some easy statistics that would correlate with a QB who could help the team along with a decent defense.  I came up with 5 metrics where it seemed like a QB who hit all 5 could do pretty well.

Goff hit them all in 2017 & 2018.  Hit 4 of 5 last 2 seasons.

It's boggling my delicate young mind that a team is trading a 26 yr old QB who played in the SB 3 years ago and who has not totally sucked since then AND 2 first round picks for a 32 yr old QB with a plethora of injuries.

I totally agree and further more - I think Stafford is a terrible fit for that offense.  He is not a dink/dunk style passer or a roll out guy.  He is a deep drop and pocket thrower and that means big changes to how they move forward.

I think Stafford has the better arm, but he has not shown himself to be the better QB or to elevate those around him - even when surrounded by some of the top WRs in the game.

Big risk for LA and potentially resets their window to an even smaller window before they fall apart.

6 hours ago, Logic said:

All the people mentioning age...

QBs are playing until they’re right up against age 40 these days.

If the Rams get 5-7 good years out of Stafford, the age thing really isn’t an issue.

It IS, shall we say...less than ideal...that the Rams will go from 2016 through 2024 without drafting in the 1st round. It’s not as if their roster is lacking talent, though. It will be crucial for them to hit on middle and late round picks now, that’s for sure.

Yes, but you are talking about a QB that has had back injuries and has underperformed for years and does not really fit the McVay style of offense.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Stafford went for Goff, two firsts and a third and in a situation where he and Detroit had agreed he could go.

The price for Deshaun Watson just went up. 

From the Rams perspective..... the pressure is on Sean McVay for the first time now. He has pinned two years of offensive inconsistency on Jared Goff. But the tape shows a different story. Goff has some blame to take, make no mistake, but the league has caught up to McVay and his playcalling at times has been beyond predictable. I am like Tony Romo watching them play.... I can call out their play with about 60% accuracy when they get to the line. If I can do that imagine what top professional players and coaches make of it. The excuses are gone for McVay now. If he can't revive the offense with Stafford his seat will warm up.

Great post. Goff is not a bad qb at all — just not perfect. However, McVay’s semi-shameless lobbying for genius status and his tendency to lay the blame at Goff’s feet is what drives the narrative. It’s not what I’d call an accurate one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Power move by McVay.

Enough was enough.  Not going to waste the offensive weapons and defensive production.

with Stafford...Rams would be playing Chiefs in 1 week.  That’s about the level of how dominant the Rams defense was.

Now with Stafford...they are vaulting to one of the favorites for the Ring in 2021.

Dominant move by McVay.  Don’t mess up that guys schematics!  Or your gone.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

So the Rams don’t give up their first this year?  I had not seen that reported anywhere.  Just assumed it was ‘21 and ‘22.  That does make a difference, although the Rams still massively overpaid.

Their first this year is already in Jacksonville for the DB trade last year.

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I preface this by saying I’m not a big Stafford fan. I’m not convinced that he’s top level elite, or capable of winning titles. I do believe that Stafford is capable of bringing a well coached team with a decent roster to the playoffs. That’s exactly why the Rams traded for him. The Lions game plan is a little more confusing to me. Most people view Goff as a stop gap QB in Detroit who will struggle without McVay in his ear. This means the Lions don’t have a QB. Those two first rounders aren’t to be at the top of the first round, and they still need to find a QB.

Stafford might have never taken the Lions far, but I’d prefer to build around him for the last few years of his career, and hope for the best. Get what you can out of Stafford, then go for the tank when he retires to draft a QB. A couple of draft picks in the 20-30 range don’t do much for a team without a QB. The Lions still need to chase their QB of the future. I view Stafford as a serviceable second tier QB, who could have taken the Lions to the playoffs. I don’t think they have that with Goff. If the Rams don’t win a title, I think both teams are losers in this trade.