Should NFL Adopt 3rd Place Game Week Before Super Bowl?

Dr.Sack

On 1/30/2021 at 5:41 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Amazed it's never been thought of before, ...  Oh wait here's the results from the 3rd place game back in the 60's.  As soon as saw this post, I was pretty certain they use to do this as remembered Cleveland playing in the game the one year when I was a kid.  Amazing how much info you can find via Google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl

This was in the NFL only not part of the AFL, Apparently was called "The Playoff Bowl" (I didn't remember that part) it died when the leagues merged in 1970

I too remember some of these games...Vince Lombardi hated this concept and called it the "Losers Bowl."  Thankfully, the game was canned following the merger.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:38 PM, Groin said:

So, I think that the Pro Bowl, for example, has lost its luster because of that gruesome injury to Robert Edwards 20 or so years ago.  Why would a player risk their health and ability to make bank to play a game for nothing specific?  The Pro Bowl is no longer anything specific, and the best players routinely don't play, as I would think a bronze cup type of game would be.

Not harshing on you, OP, for your POV, but with the Pro Bowl being essentially marginalized, I don't know how a B-grade "championship" would cut through the indifference.

I believe Edwards suffered his injury playing either football or volleyball on the beach that week - not during the actual game 

I'm interested in watching more meaningful football games. Let's make the playoffs a double-elimination tournament.

(I know that'll never happen, but I like it better than a 3rd-place game.)

On 1/30/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dr.Sack said:

I’m a big fan of soccer: World Cup, Olympics whose tournaments all have a losers bracket / 3rd place bronze game.

Before you drag me for saying “everyone deserves a trophy” who wouldn’t want to see a Bills v Packers game tomorrow? I’d rather watch a 3rd place game then a meaningless Pro Bowl game. 

One last chance to see our 2020 Bills take down MVP Rodgers would have been fantastic. 

This is something I think the NFL should adopt and could be much prouder of than the Pro Bowl. 

You have to throw the teams a bone to play. Otherwise why would players come out and play after losing the prior week. Draft compensation? But then  you cant give the third place team something that the superbowl loser doesnt get.

So big fan of the idea of the game - just not practically possible.