Should NFL Adopt 3rd Place Game Week Before Super Bowl?

Dr.Sack

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

if you want to watch end of season meaningless exhibition type games that don't count in the standings there are a whole boatload of them scheduled already for decades to come.

they are called College Bowl Games.

But 1 on the weekend the probowl is on.  That game is trash.  Pay each player and coach 500k that wins and grant the winning team the first overall pick.  Players will want the money.  Some may not play.  Most will.  Come on.  Today you have Saleh and Myer on the field or in the box with there new owners.  Crazy game.  

On 1/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, Dr.Sack said:

I’m a big fan of soccer: World Cup, Olympics whose tournaments all have a losers bracket / 3rd place bronze game.

Before you drag me for saying “everyone deserves a trophy” who wouldn’t want to see a Bills v Packers game tomorrow? I’d rather watch a 3rd place game then a meaningless Pro Bowl game. 

One last chance to see our 2020 Bills take down MVP Rodgers would have been fantastic. 

This is something I think the NFL should adopt and could be much prouder of than the Pro Bowl. 

Absolutely ridiculous. Stop this nonsense now.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, PJBrown7 said:

I don’t see any scenario where the players would get up for that game after losing in the championship round.

Perhaps, but money talks and that's what this is all about.

Trust and believe that ratings would be through the roof!

On 1/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, Dr.Sack said:

I’m a big fan of soccer: World Cup, Olympics whose tournaments all have a losers bracket / 3rd place bronze game.

Before you drag me for saying “everyone deserves a trophy” who wouldn’t want to see a Bills v Packers game tomorrow? I’d rather watch a 3rd place game then a meaningless Pro Bowl game. 

One last chance to see our 2020 Bills take down MVP Rodgers would have been fantastic. 

This is something I think the NFL should adopt and could be much prouder of than the Pro Bowl. 

Whats the point?  Yeah the Pro Bowl sucks but I have no interested in seeing the teams that didn’t qualify for the Super Bowl playing in the Toilet Bowl

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Whats the point?  Yeah the Pro Bowl sucks but I have no interested in seeing the teams that didn’t qualify for the Super Bowl playing in the Toilet Bowl

Up the stakes. Put $ on the line for players & clubs, create a lottery pick for winner. Since these teams weren’t good enough allow them a chance to reload - some combo of higher draft pick / salary cap bonus. That could be the highest draft pick among playoff teams or a lottery pick between #1-#18. Due to randomness you wouldn’t see a player like Aaron Rodgers throw the game thinking if he were to win GB would draft Lawrence. NFL is rather predictable and bland. All I know is you are penalized for winning in the NFL & I’m not sure I agree with that idea. 

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Up the stakes. Put $ on the line for players & clubs, create a lottery pick for winner. Since these teams weren’t good enough allow them a chance to reload - some combo of higher draft pick / salary cap bonus. That could be the highest draft pick among playoff teams or a lottery pick between #1-#18. Due to randomness you wouldn’t see a player like Aaron Rodgers throw the game thinking if he were to win GB would draft Lawrence. NFL is rather predictable and bland. All I know is you are penalized for winning in the NFL & I’m not sure I agree with that idea. 

I still don’t like the Loser Bowl idea.  After teams lose, any game after would seem like a moot point.

“The Super Bowl is next week - oh, and by the way you can see last week’s losers compete for 3rd place!”

The incentives make sense on paper but is a salary bonus enough to make fans want to watch?  Probably not.  Also the draft pick isn’t very incentivizing to players who likely won’t be there next year.  

I just think it’s pointless to play a 3rd place game.  This isn’t the Olympics.  Every team play to be the champion, one that’s over...it’s over.  

This is probably why none of the major sports in the US have entertained the idea - its anti-climactic and really just not good.  

14 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It’s done in soccer and the fanbases seem to embrace the idea. One more week to smash tables & get drunk. I don’t know, seems better than no game. 

The NFL has an ass-ton of money, just offer these guys a hell of a lot more, and some kind of additional injury insurance for them + compensation picks for whatever team they belong to in the case said player will miss regular season game time.

I'm tired of all-star type games being boring as hell. 

At least the in the NBA the stupidly high scores make it pretty amusing, and in the last 5 or so minutes they actually try & play defense lol

• Agree 1

And in regards to the topic, playing for 3rd place just sounds weak.

If they gave out rings/trophies for 2nd and 3rd, sure. In soccer or sports in the Olympics, there's value to having those awards.

In the NFL, they'd have to prop up the idea of Conference Champions more (so whichever team loses the Super Bowl gets more credit), which would essentially be a silver medal. Only then would having a loser's bracket/3rd place game have much meaning. At that point, create a title, award, trophy, ring, whatever, then after some time it'd have meaning & be worth playing.

It's gotta have some prestige (and money) behind it. Something a team can slap on a banner & hang it in their stadium. 

On 1/30/2021 at 4:41 PM, Big Turk said:

Hell no. There is no way players are going to want to play in a game that has no meaning. It's why so many already skip the pro bowl.

What if they got a reasonably big check?  Not SB losing size, but enough to get them interested?  I actually think injuries are a bigger issue, but just wondering.