Should NFL Adopt 3rd Place Game Week Before Super Bowl?

Dr.Sack

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Hell no. There is no way players are going to want to play in a game that has no meaning. It's why so many already skip the pro bowl.

There used to be a 3rd place game for the NCAA Basketball Tournament.  I don’t recall why they got rid of it but I don’t think anyone misses it.

• Like (+1) 2

As much as I am repulsed at the concept of a third place game I am certain that I would watch every play if the Bills were playing in it. 

As much as I am repulsed at the concept of a third place game I am certain that I would watch every play if the Bills were playing in it. 

As much as I hate the concept of a third place game I am certain that I would watch every play if the Bills were playing in it. 

As much as I hate the concept of a third place game I am certain that I would watch every play if the Bills were playing in it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m a big fan of soccer: World Cup, Olympics whose tournaments all have a losers bracket / 3rd place bronze game.

Before you drag me for saying “everyone deserves a trophy” who wouldn’t want to see a Bills v Packers game tomorrow? I’d rather watch a 3rd place game then a meaningless Pro Bowl game. 

One last chance to see our 2020 Bills take down MVP Rodgers would have been fantastic. 

This is something I think the NFL should adopt and could be much prouder of than the Pro Bowl. 

Nope - not something I would be a fan of.  Seems like a waste and another chance to get injured.

If you had a way to make it so the winner of the loser bracket got another shot at the SuperBowl title - then maybe, but for third place - you are better off losing for the draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Great idea! 

Amazed it's never been thought of before, ...  Oh wait here's the results from the 3rd place game back in the 60's.  As soon as saw this post, I was pretty certain they use to do this as remembered Cleveland playing in the game the one year when I was a kid.  Amazing how much info you can find via Google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl

Also recall Baltimore playing in the game in 66.  They were kind of like the 2020 Steelers, were 12-0, best team in the league, beating everyone. Played the Rams week 13 and lost, the Rams then had the tie breakers so Baltimore ended up in 3rd place game.  Season was only 14 weeks long back then too.

This was in the NFL only not part of the AFL, Apparently was called "The Playoff Bowl" (I didn't remember that part) it died when the leagues merged in 1970

The Lions BTW were 3-0 in this game, think that's about the last playoff they ever won.

image.png.3c30c5e1776a60b8b21ad213a2feb114.png

I was going to post this too but you beat me to it.

I remember watching the 1965 game. Cowboys played some scrubs IIRC. not all, but some.  My Dad was not too thrilled about that.  He wanted to win. Tom Matte started at QB for the Colts due to Unitas and Cuozzo being out.  First QB to wear a wristband with the plays written on it.

I think it'd be awesome if the guys really played to win like a real game, but they won't.

Edited by reddogblitz

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Hell no. There is no way players are going to want to play in a game that has no meaning. It's why so many already skip the pro bowl.

That's just not true.

When the game starts, professional athletes play to the best of their ability.

And even if it was true, you can correct that by building an incentive into the game.

Winner gets an additional 2nd round pick, after everyone else in the league gets their 2nd round pick, in the subsequent draft.

Or something like that.

Do they get cupcakes after the game?

Seriously bud, do you think any NFL player would actually play this game?  If I’m McD, I’d forfeit.  

I do appreciate the courage to float this one as you knew people were going to bust you’re chops.  Sounds like you were just jonesing for a football game this weekend.  I am too.

26 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's just not true.

When the game starts, professional athletes play to the best of their ability.

And even if it was true, you can correct that by building an incentive into the game.

Winner gets an additional 2nd round pick, after everyone else in the league gets their 2nd round pick, in the subsequent draft.

Or something like that.

Players would need to play for money, like a ton of money. I don't think the league could pay them enough to care. 

An additional 2nd round pick or even first round pick doesn't mean jack to the players. Heck, it's just another potential opportunity for their job to be taken away. 

28 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Lots of bowl games in college football, and teams get psyched up for those. While some of those bowl games are also playoff games on the path to the national championship, the majority are not. Is there a way to get NFL players psyched up for a bowl game, even if they're not on the path to the Super Bowl?

For many of those players it's the last game they'll play at the collegiate level. Or the last game they will play period. Plus, in college those are technically the only postseason game the players play in.