Should NFL Adopt 3rd Place Game Week Before Super Bowl?

Dr.Sack

While it could be fun for the fans...the reason other leagues can do it and football can't is simply because football is too brutal. The risk of injury is way too high.  No one (players, teams, the League) wants to risk an injury for what, in essence, is a meaningless game. And like others said, I don't know how fun that game would be. Coaches would sit a ton of starters, the players wouldn't be motivated. It might turn into a glorified pre-season game.

In World Cup, the 3rd place game still has meaning. To go home to your country and say we are the third best team in the world (a bronze medal basically) as opposed to 4th, has some pride in it (especially depending on the team/nation that you are playing in that game---if they are a great team, or there has been a rivalry, or the nations aren't friendly...or whatever). In American football, who cares. If a Packer's fan said, "we were the 3rd best team in the league this year"...would it matter to most Bills fans in any way? Probably not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m a big fan of soccer: World Cup, Olympics whose tournaments all have a losers bracket / 3rd place bronze game.

Before you drag me for saying “everyone deserves a trophy” who wouldn’t want to see a Bills v Packers game tomorrow? I’d rather watch a 3rd place game then a meaningless Pro Bowl game. 

One last chance to see our 2020 Bills take down MVP Rodgers would have been fantastic. 

This is something I think the NFL should adopt and could be much prouder of than the Pro Bowl. 

Great idea! 

Amazed it's never been thought of before, ...  Oh wait here's the results from the 3rd place game back in the 60's.  As soon as saw this post, I was pretty certain they use to do this as remembered Cleveland playing in the game the one year when I was a kid.  Amazing how much info you can find via Google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl

Also recall Baltimore playing in the game in 66.  They were kind of like the 2020 Steelers, were 12-0, best team in the league, beating everyone. Played the Rams week 13 and lost, the Rams then had the tie breakers so Baltimore ended up in 3rd place game.  Season was only 14 weeks long back then too.

This was in the NFL only not part of the AFL, Apparently was called "The Playoff Bowl" (I didn't remember that part) it died when the leagues merged in 1970

The Lions BTW were 3-0 in this game, think that's about the last playoff they ever won.

image.png.3c30c5e1776a60b8b21ad213a2feb114.png

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

Nope no need for it.

In a regular year we have that football gem everyone looks forward to all year....the Pro Bowl ;)

Where your favorite players get a nice trip to Hawaii and pretend to play football ;)

What might be a better idea is have team 32 play team 31 and the winner gets the first pick overall .

Given that there are no silver or bronze medals in football, there's no incentive to win this game. In fact, if you win the game, you pick 30th in the draft. But if you lose the game, you pick 29th.

• Like (+1) 1

There will be an eighteenth regular season game long before that even gets talked about, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

I'd like to see that, a lot more than the probowl anyway. You'd have to have a massive incentive for it to work. Money for the players and also a draft pick to the winning team. But then of course the super bowl loser would want a draft pick, and then the super bowl winner would say why the ***** don't we get one when we got further than all those guys?

They already have a pro bowl....

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Meh. 3rd place doesn’t really mean anything in the nfl. The players play for the title, or they are ready for next year.  But I am enjoying Ted Lasso, speaking of soccer. 

thry make more than what any incentive there is

in olympics you get a medal which mean something to low paid athletes or college players in term of endorsement money.

2 hours ago, PJBrown7 said:

I don’t see any scenario where the players would get up for that game after losing in the championship round.

This ☝️

Football is such a violent game and a risk, I seriously doubt players want to risk injury heading into their offseason for a meaningless game they don’t care about.  The last thing a player wants to do is spend their offseason recovering from a serious injury.