Should NFL Adopt 3rd Place Game Week Before Super Bowl?

Dr.Sack

I’m a big fan of soccer: World Cup, Olympics whose tournaments all have a losers bracket / 3rd place bronze game.

Before you drag me for saying “everyone deserves a trophy” who wouldn’t want to see a Bills v Packers game tomorrow? I’d rather watch a 3rd place game then a meaningless Pro Bowl game. 

One last chance to see our 2020 Bills take down MVP Rodgers would have been fantastic. 

This is something I think the NFL should adopt and could be much prouder of than the Pro Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 5

So, I think that the Pro Bowl, for example, has lost its luster because of that gruesome injury to Robert Edwards 20 or so years ago.  Why would a player risk their health and ability to make bank to play a game for nothing specific?  The Pro Bowl is no longer anything specific, and the best players routinely don't play, as I would think a bronze cup type of game would be.

Not harshing on you, OP, for your POV, but with the Pro Bowl being essentially marginalized, I don't know how a B-grade "championship" would cut through the indifference.

Edited by Groin
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Groin said:

So, I think that the Pro Bowl, for example, has lost its luster because of that gruesome injury to Robert Edwards 20 or so years ago.  Why would a player risk their health and ability to make bank to play a game for nothing specific?  The Pro Bowl is no longer anything specific, and the best players routinely don't play, as I would think a bronze cup type of game would be.

Not harshing on you, OP, for your POV, but with the Pro Bowl being essentially marginalized, I don't know how a B-grade "championship" would cut through the indifference.

Edwards was hurt playing on the beach right? Sand football?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

Edwards was hurt playing on the beach right? Sand football?

Sure, but it's really the same deal.  Participation from marquis players, iirc, really tailed off in the PB after Edward's injury.  Let's say that Josh Allen plays in a meaningless game and tears his labrum.  Do we want that?  I think/hope not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Groin said:

So, I think that the Pro Bowl, for example, has lost its luster because of that gruesome injury to Robert Edwards 20 or so years ago.  Why would a player risk their health and ability to make bank to play a game for nothing specific?  The Pro Bowl is no longer anything specific, and the best players routinely don't play, as I would think a bronze cup time of game would be.

Forget about any other factor, the injury thing is the biggest. I don’t really follow soccer, but used to tune in for World Cups and big tournaments. I seem to remember that even soccer teams rested many of their big names for third place games. Basically you’d get a preseason game at the end of the year. It’s never going to happen, but I’d love to see the Pro Bowl as competitive as it was in the early 90’s. That would hold greater intrigue than a third place game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I always find those kinds of games to be pretty sad.  So, no.

Yeah, I never really got the point. I think it’s essentially used in team sports for situations where medals were awarded, so someone needs to take the bronze. I’m not sure if I understand why the World Cup does it though, aside from additional revenue. 

To be honest, those third place play off games can be a drag at the best of times - especially for the loser who has had a good competition overall but then has two defeats on the bounce to round it off. Plus the liklihood of injuries in the NFL is far more likely than in football. What happens if we lose Josh or Aaron Rodgers obtains an injury in what is a meaningless end of season game?

Edited by UKBillFan
Rodgers not Rogers
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, PJBrown7 said:

I don’t see any scenario where the players would get up for that game after losing in the championship round.

Exactly.

Remember when the NCAA had a 3rd place game in the college basketball tournament? They were sloppy games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1