Beane says no "blockbuster" moves. Do you believe him?

Draconator

Beane says expect no "blockbuster" moves this off season. Do you believe him?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Will Beane stay the course or make a big move?

• He will pull off a player/early round trade.
    • He will make a draft day move to move up significantly in draft position.
    • He'll stay the course, only making mid to late round draft moves and sign mid level Free Agents to plug holes.

I don't foresee any blockbuster action coming out of the 2020 season.  For me, at least, trading out of spots into other spots would be par for the course.  I can't think of a single scenario where I would hope for Beane to try and go yard in this draft.  BPA, in the right spots, would seem like the smartest move.  Cutting dead weight ahead of the draft and bringing in FAs (because the team could afford a few solid FAs then) would seem like a solid, complimentary move.

Ultimately, you can't do a Diggs type of deal every offseason.

This offseason just feels like it needs to be methodical & focused.  Have a solid draft, and work FA to fill holes and continue to build depth instead of getting a big splash at just one position.

Frankly, I feel like we can stand pat at a variety of positions: WR, TE, CB and even LB.  The MAIN focus should be building the D line, followed by getting one good RB - either in FA or the draft.

But whatever Beane decides, I'm all in.  He has earned a great deal of trust.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't believe him. If I were in Beane's shoes. These are my offseason moves to win the Super Bowl

Some of these numbers may be a little off, but it's the best I could find. This is what they were paid or are expected to be paid in 2021 with their cap hit.

Cut/Lose 

Murphy (8m) Morse (10m) Jefferson (8m), Norman (5.8M)  Winters (3m)  Kroft (5.4), Brown (9m) Yeldon (1,9m) Addison(10m), Butler(7.8M) Milano (10m) Nsekhe (5.2m) Star (8M) Devin (1.1) 

TOTAL 85 MILLION  This is a lot of DEAD weight.

ReSign

Feliciano  7m/3yrs (21) or Williams 7M/3years (21)

Josh Allen 35M/7 years (245)

TOTAL  42M 

FA Signings:

David Andrews (C) NE. 6M/4yrs (24)

Trey Hendrickson (DE) NO or Kerry Hyder (DE) SF   8m/4years (32)

Bud Dupree (OLB) Pitt or Shaq Barrett (OLB) TB, or possibly Leonard Floyd (OLB) LAR or Matt Judon (OLB) Balt. 15m/3 years (45)

Mike Hilton (CB ) Pitt.  6M/4Years (24)

Blake Bortles (QB2).  1.5M/2 years (3)

Rob Gronkowski (TE) TB - 6M/2years (12)

Make a run at Gronk to come home and win a SB for Buffalo. We have the talent to finally lure him back. He's only 32.

TOTAL 42.5m

TOTAL SIGNINGS 84.5M

Seems like a plan like this could be doable.

DRAFT

Rd #1 (30) Najee Harris or Etienne (RB) or Gary Rosseau or Quincy Roche (EDGE) or Zaven Collins if we can't sign one of the OLB's above.

Rd #2  (62) Walker Little (RT) if he's healthy or Alex Leatherwood (T)

RD#3 (93) If we don't take an RB in Rd 1, go after Trey Sermon or the hometown BUFF Patterson. If we take RB @30 then Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State if he drops

This team could take the AFC if they stay healthy. 

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

I just think if the right opportunity comes along to get the Bills to a repeat Super Bowl contender, I think Beane makes the move. 

What that will be is for all of you to speculate on. 

I think he said "no blockbuster moves" with regard to FA.  If I remember correctly.  I think on WGR he said something like "you know me, I like to move around".

It would not surprise me if Beane dealt a couple of players for low-mid round picks and packaged picks and move up.  Just who those players are, will depend somewhat upon what players attract interest. 

Alternatively, I can see him trading OUT of the first round and into the top of the 2nd for extra picks.

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I don't believe him. If I were in Beane's shoes. These are my offseason moves.

Cut/Lose 

Murphy Morse, Jefferson, Norman, Winters, Kroft, Brown, Yeldon, Addison, Butler ,Milano Nsekhe

ReSign

Feliciano

Williams

FA Signings:

David Andrews (C) NE

Trey Hendrickson (DE) NO or Kerry Hyder (DE) SF

Bud Dupree (OLB) Pitt or Shaq Barrett (OLB) TB, or possibly Leonard Floyd (OLB) LAR or Matt Judon (OLB) Balt.

Mike Hilton (CB ) Pitt

Blake Bortles (QB2)

Rob Gronkowski (TE) TB - Make a run at Gronk to come home and win a SB for Buffalo. We have the talent to finally lure him back. He's only 32.

Draft

Rd #1 (30) Najee Harris or Etienne (RB) or Gary Rosseau or Quincy Roche (EDGE) or Zaven Collins if we can't sign one of the OLB's above.

RD#3 (93) If we don't take an RB in Rd 1, go after Trey Sermon or the hometown BUFF Patterson. If we take RB @30 then Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State if he drops

I applaud you for thinking this out so thoroughly. :beer:

This is very entertaining, and I could see Beane trying to make something like this happen. Forget Gronkowski, we don't need more old damaged players. Bortles would be a nice back-up, and I like the idea of going after David Andrews. Your defensive choices are very sexy, but that will take a lot of work and creativity, even if we made all the cap room for them.

There is no chance that Greg Rousseau & Quincy Roche last until the end of the first round, forget it. The same goes for Alex Leatherwood lasting to the end of the 2nd round.

Pat Freiermuth would be a reach in the first round, but it would make sense, depending on who else is left. Trey Sermon would be a good pick.

We shall see what happens.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I applaud you for thinking this out so thoroughly. :beer:

This is very entertaining, and I could see Beane trying to make something like this happen. Forget Gronkowski, we don't need more old damaged players. Bortles would be a nice back-up, and I like the idea of going after David Andrews. Your defensive choices are very sexy, but that will take a lot of work and creativity, even if we made all the cap room for them.

There is no chance that Greg Rousseau & Quincy Roche last until the end of the first round, forget it. The same goes for Alex Leatherwood lasting to the end of the 2nd round.

Pat Freiermuth would be a reach in the first round, but it would make sense, depending on who else is left. Trey Sermon would be a good pick.

We shall see what happens.

We have some extra picks to trade up. Some mocks have us taking Roche in the first and Leatherwood in the 2nd. Some have Harris and Etienne dropping to mid 2nd. 

Freiermuth is projected mid 2nd to early 3rd so one of our 5th's may help move up if he's hanging around. Getting 2 of the 3 is not unreasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I don't believe him. If I were in Beane's shoes. These are my offseason moves to win the Super Bowl

Some of these numbers may be a little off, but it's the best I could find. This is what they were paid or are expected to be paid in 2021 with their cap hit.

Cut/Lose 

Murphy (8m) Morse (10m) Jefferson (8m), Norman (5.8M)  Winters (3m)  Kroft (5.4), Brown (9m) Yeldon (1,9m) Addison(10m), Butler(7.8M) Milano (10m) Nsekhe (5.2m)

TOTAL 84 MILLION  This is a lot of DEAD weight.

ReSign

Feliciano  7m/3yrs

Williams 7M/3years

Josh Allen 28M/7 years

TOTAL  42M

FA Signings:

David Andrews (C) NE. 6M/4yrs

Trey Hendrickson (DE) NO or Kerry Hyder (DE) SF   8m/4years

Bud Dupree (OLB) Pitt or Shaq Barrett (OLB) TB, or possibly Leonard Floyd (OLB) LAR or Matt Judon (OLB) Balt. 12m/3 years

Mike Hilton (CB ) Pitt.  6M/4Years

Blake Bortles (QB2).  1.5M/2 years

Rob Gronkowski (TE) TB - 6M/2years Make a run at Gronk to come home and win a SB for Buffalo. We have the talent to finally lure him back. He's only 32.

TOTAL 39.5m

TOTAL SIGNINGS 81.5M

DRAFT

I’m not sure what would be more impressive between getting Allen to sign for $17,000,000 per year below his market value or getting all those defensive players to take massive pay cuts to play in Buffalo.  If he does either, build him a statue.

36 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m not sure what would be more impressive between getting Allen to sign for $17,000,000 per year below his market value or getting all those defensive players to take massive pay cuts to play in Buffalo.  If he does either, build him a statue.

Allen is not getting 40m per year. 30 is about right. I figure the hometown discount of 2.  The others. Dupree was hurt. Maybe he gets 15, maybe 12. Hilton made less than 1m last year and does not have a proven track record. Judon was hurt and may have lost a step. So say we went to 15. You think these guys are worth 20? 

4 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Allen is not getting 40m per year. 30 is about right. I figure the hometown discount of 2.  The others. Dupree was hurt. Maybe he gets 15, maybe 12. Hilton made less than 1m last year and does not have a proven track record. Judon was hurt and may have lost a step. So say we went to 15. You think these guys are worth 20? 

Watson just signed a contract that expires in 2025 and averages $39,000,000.  Zero chance Allen signs a contract that expires in 2029 averaging $28,000,000.  Shaq Barrett is only 28 years old.  He’s already on a team playing in the Super Bowl, so he’s not going to become a free agent and take a pay cut.

I don’t think these guys are worth 20, but I think someone will pay them close to that.  If your true value is what 50% of the teams would pay you, then that means 16 teams are willing to overpay.  It’s why free agency is a terrible way to build a roster.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he said "no blockbuster moves" with regard to FA.  If I remember correctly.  I think on WGR he said something like "you know me, I like to move around".

It would not surprise me if Beane dealt a couple of players for low-mid round picks and packaged picks and move up.  Just who those players are, will depend somewhat upon what players attract interest. 

Alternatively, I can see him trading OUT of the first round and into the top of the 2nd for extra picks.

This seems to be his MO. Get more of those later round picks to move around in the draft. Yes, we have holes but we are still a pretty darn good team with guys who add little here but could start elsewhere. He likes to wheel and deal, but you need ammo for that. 

4 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Cut/Lose 

Murphy (8m) Morse (10m) Jefferson (8m), Norman (5.8M)  Winters (3m)  Kroft (5.4), Brown (9m) Yeldon (1,9m) Addison(10m), Butler(7.8M) Milano (10m) Nsekhe (5.2m)

TOTAL 84 MILLION  This is a lot of DEAD weight.

ReSign

Feliciano  7m/3yrs

Williams 7M/3years

Josh Allen 28M/7 years

TOTAL  42M

FA Signings:

David Andrews (C) NE. 6M/4yrs

Trey Hendrickson (DE) NO or Kerry Hyder (DE) SF   8m/4years

Bud Dupree (OLB) Pitt or Shaq Barrett (OLB) TB, or possibly Leonard Floyd (OLB) LAR or Matt Judon (OLB) Balt. 12m/3 years

Mike Hilton (CB ) Pitt.  6M/4Years

Blake Bortles (QB2).  1.5M/2 years

Rob Gronkowski (TE) TB - 6M/2years Make a run at Gronk to come home and win a SB for Buffalo. We have the talent to finally lure him back. He's only 32.

TOTAL 39.5m

TOTAL SIGNINGS 81.5M

DRAFT

Your yearly salaries are ridiculously low for the modern salary cap.

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think he said something similar last year. He will Be actively pursuing some guys, if I had to guess.  Something to bolster the front

7 on defense. 

in terms of draft-day type moves, I could see them trading Dawson Knox for like a 4th round pick. 

He loves Knox. Beane is very protective of guys he has drafted. I think the go into the year with Knox, Sweeney and then a vet. Could be Lee Smith. 

• Thank you (+1) 1