Offseason: Players we can cut that would provide the most cap savings...

bills6969

Most vets who have had big pay days can't turn on the fire in the belly anymoe.  But, Hughes, still can turn it on, so I advocate keeping him.  Hyde same.  Morse is a strange situaton, not sure there.  Brown has lost speed/burst, but that may be the injuries not yet healed totally.  Sometimes, months are need to recover, not weeks.  If Brown goes, it will be after the Bills see how he looks in the late spring.  He might come back, he didn't have burst/separation in the playoffs.  Butler and Jefferson are typical of the vets that will be impacted by the lower CAP.  Addison is a little different.  Still, the Bills will need DT and DE's to play their system.  Rookies and free agents will have to be in play to let those two go.  Bean has a tough job ahead, and McD will also have a role as consiglieri to Bean on the personel moves.(in addition to Beans staff) I also think Daboll and Frazier are in the conversations.  Most decisions have input from the whole org imho.  Seems like Beans style.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Remember that you need to replace the guys you cut.  Impact players are not cheap.   In a salary cap league, value is important.  But ultimately it's about getting the best players on the field.  

Last year the Bills decided Jordan Philips and Shaq Lawson were not worth $10 mil / year contracts and Star opted out.    The replacements of Vernon Butler, Jefferson, and Addison probably offered better value.    Understandable decisions by Beane & co, but in the end the D-line was a downgrade from 2019 to 2020. 

My point, is before you cut a starter / key contributor or let them walk in FA, you better have a plan to bring in a player as good or better.  Not just a better value.  

i think anyone whos posting about cutting players is implying/assuming that they are replacing/filling and upgrading. 

now on gameday when a player makes a bad play and the response is "cut him" then thats horse poo comment

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

It's looking like the Salary cap for next year will be somewhere around the $175mm mark.  If this is the case,  we won't have much room to do anything in free agency.   In order to create some room, we're going to need to let some guys go.  Here is a list players we can cut a reasonable price that would provide highest Cap savings:

1. John Brown - Dead cap 1.6m;  Cap savings 7.9m

2. Jerry Hughes - Dead cap 2.1m; Cap savings 7.5m

3. Vernon Butler - Dead cap 1m; Cap savings 6.8m

4. Quinton Jefferson - Dead cap 1.5m; Cap savings 6.5m

5. Mario Addison - Dead cap 4m; Cap savings 6.1m

6. Micah Hyde - Dead cap 1.6m; Cap savings 5.2m  

7. Mitch Morse - Dead cap 5.5m; Cap savings 4.8m

8. Lee Smith - Dead cap 0;  Cap savings 2.25m

Imo, you absolutely cut ties with 1 thru 4. These are guys whose value to the team does not exceed the cap savings we would attain by letting them go.  This would equate to about $29m in cap savings.  Add in 5 thru 8 (excluding Hyde; too valuable to team to cut) and we're at a cool 42m of cap savings.  These players can all be replaced in the draft or cheaper route in FA.

So, most here feel Morse should be let go. Why do people believe this and who replaces him?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

So, most here feel Morse should be let go. Why do people believe this and who replaces him?

Personally I have no idea what the Bills think about Morse long term.  For me I think his chances of being cut are close to 0%.

He might, as I said earlier, be traded if Beane and McDermott want to go with Feliciano at Center like some guess.

Brown, Jefferson and Butler will likely be gone. A lot of money to free up for a more premier signing and with production you can get back with cheaper free agents/draft picks. Lee Smith should be gone too but we will see.

I think Jerry and Micah will be here another year, they are team leaders and not great but ok players.

Just now, LEBills said:

Brown, Jefferson and Butler will likely be gone. A lot of money to free up for a more premier signing and with production you can get back with cheaper free agents/draft picks. Lee Smith should be gone too but we will see.

I think Jerry and Micah will be here another year, they are team leaders and not great but ok players.

Addison probably as well.  No way on Hughes or Hyde.  Morse is the big question.  Lee Smith can either go or stay.

It's looking like the Salary cap for next year will be somewhere around the $175mm mark.  If this is the case,  we won't have much room to do anything in free agency.   In order to create some room, we're going to need to let some guys go.  Here is a list players we can cut a reasonable price that would provide highest Cap savings:

Imo, you absolutely cut ties with 1 thru 4. These are guys whose value to the team does not exceed the cap savings we would attain by letting them go.  This would equate to about $29m in cap savings.  Add in 5 thru 8 (excluding Hyde; too valuable to team to cut) and we're at a cool 42m of cap savings.  These players can all be replaced in the draft or cheaper route in FA.

Ok, 6969, So who are we replacing these 8 guys, and how much net savings do we have from that $42 mil. of 1 speed WR, 1 Edge Rusher, 2 DT’s, another DE, a pro bowl type Safety, a Center, and a blocking TE.  You missed that part.  How much are those 8 replacements?  There’s only 8 draft spots amd a few are late in the draft who are far passed over.

Were not moving on from Hughes,and Hyde.

I just don't think Hughes is that great of a pass rusher.  He's on the backside of his career and hasnt been great at getting to the QB the past few years (only 4.5 sacks this year).  Biggest weakness of this team is lack of passrusher.  I don't expect it to improve next year if we keep the same guys.  Let Hughes go and use cap savings to go after a younger DE in FA.  We could get Hendrickson for like 10m-12m aav contract.

Biggest weakness this year is pass rusher.... SO LETS CUT OUR BEST PASS RUSHER TO SAVE 7M 🙄🙄🙄

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I am willing to bet that they keep but possibly restructure every single guy on there, Except possibly Morse. And the only reason I am unsure about Morse is because they were weird about him during the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ok, 6969, So who are we replacing these 8 guys, and how much net savings do we have from that $42 mil. of 1 speed WR, 1 Edge Rusher, 2 DT’s, another DE, a pro bowl type Safety, a Center, and a blocking TE.  You missed that part.  How much are those 8 replacements?  There’s only 8 draft spots amd a few are late in the draft who are far passed over.

Were not moving on from Hughes,and Hyde.

If you actually read my post you would know that I wasn’t suggesting we cut all these guys. I was just pointing out the potential cap savings we could get with cutting these players.  With Hyde,  I specifically pointed out that he was too valuable to cut.  Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I guess.

Just now, bills6969 said:

If you actually read my post you would know that I wasn’t suggesting we cut all these guys. I was just pointing out the potential cap savings we could get with cutting these players.  With Hyde,  I specifically pointed out that he was too valuable to cut.  Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I guess.

people get so mad if you mention the word "cut" and  their "favorite player x" they dont bother reading anything more

I'm OK with cutting 1,3,5,& 7

Getting rid of that many D lineman will cost you more to replace and not likely to have an overall improvement for the amount of money they'd have to spend.

Smith too I'd only get rid of if they replace with another TE who can block well and catch passes.

Redo Hyde and Hughes contract to extend and lower cap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Id accept moving on without all but Jerry and Micah. Would hate to lose either of them. 

I think you need to consider what Brown and Hughes would do with a 1yr extension. Cut their cap hits by about $4M each in 2021, and in 2022 they each have cap hits around $6M with limited dead cap of cut (maybe $1m-$2m each). This way you do three things...

1) cut salary cap in 2021, by a total of about $8M

2) keep players that have been relatively productive (Brown hurt, Hughes slowly decreasing with age but still effective)

3) save the money keep those guys, but have relatively easy outs after the 2021 season.

• Like (+1) 1