Cut Singletary

balln

51 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

LOL. I’d cut Moss before I’d cut Singletary.

Both are meh. Bills should be looking at adding a RB in the mid rounds.

That is how we got Moss and Singletary.  Remember that Moss was the 10th running back taken last year.  Do you think they might have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel by that time?

On 1/31/2021 at 5:12 PM, Mat68 said:

1.1 mil doesnt change who Buffalo drafts or signs.  Keep him. He is more than servicable.  Both back average above 4 ypc.  They dont get more than whats available.  Lesean McCoy, the guy that got us to the playoffs and played with Rex gets over 1,000 yards last year probably finishes top 3.  

Im not saying change anything with offense.  Pass more than run.  A more dynamic runner gets more yards.  For every run they got 1 or 2 more yards they didnt have the gear to get the 20 to 30 yarder that was there.  Thats why Kenneth Davis wasnt a starter.  Davis gets you 4 to 8 yards.  Those plays Thurman gets you 20 40.

I don't think the yards per carry means that much when you only run the RB's 27% of the time.  When you outside running game is a jet sweep.  When you run that seldom, any run  has a huge surprise factor.  The defenses are then set up to defend the pass and not the run and not either.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Does it matter?    a Veteran RB demands the vet min of ~800K.  so $ wise it is not a great savings.

It's not just these 2 young RB's.  I'd rather see Yeldon go first,

With Daboll's insistence of putting i all on Josh the run game comes secondary. Or it had.  But that has to change 

RB who get the veteran minimum are NOT what we need.  If the guy was a cheap good bargain, he would not be available. If just a veteran, we are NOT going to beat other teams with their discards.  There is no way we are going to get a top 20 guy- we don't have the money.  As to the draft, you are going to spend the money for your draft picks regardless of what position.

Pick 30 is ~$15 million, which you are going to spend one way or the other.

The second round is 8 to 11 million

The third round 75-92 is about $4.5 million (Singletary Moss terrirtory) https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

So far we have spent about $9 million on RB's and still don't have someone who scared the opponent, who can break open a game, or who can beat a linebacker as a receiver.   Look up the stat's on how many running plays run per team. The numbers vary between 34% and 55%.  The median value is 44%.  The Bills are "2th" (@38%) but if you take out Allens runs,,, they are at 27%.     Looks like they don't see the need to run or know their RB;s can't.  { https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/   }   .  We should run with RB's about 40% of the time.  Some how we have people thinking that the guy who is carrying the ball 40% of the time is only worth a 3rd round pick?

• Agree 1

I was really high on Singletary after his rookie year, but idk if it’s a confidence issue or what since Daboll and the staff showed no faith in him. Whatever the case I can’t see them bringing back a guy they showed zero trust in being able to lead the backfield in the biggest games of the year.

When he got opportunities this year he definitely underwhelmed.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Agree 1

The reason the coaches gave Moss more chances than Singletary during the latter part of the year was because Moss' more powerful running style gave him a better chance to eke out a few more yards behind the suspect run-blocking up front. So I'm okay with replacing Singletary and/or Moss this offseason. But unless we get a guy with the speed and power to succeed, regardless of the quality of run-blocking, we're right back in the same boat as this past year.

The other way to go would be to improve the run-blocking, either with new personnel or better schemes!! Hopefully there will be offseason camps and 2 preseason games to work on that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:58 AM, maryland-bills-fan said:

That is how we got Moss and Singletary.  Remember that Moss was the 10th running back taken last year.  Do you think they might have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel by that time?

Possible. I think Singletary brings more to the offense than Moss does though. Both are underwhelming as feature backs but Singletary has more big play ability. He’d be much better as a backup than a starter like this year. 

But RB’s are found all over the draft. I just think the Bills need to change their approach. A good back can be had in the mid rounds.

12 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Possible. I think Singletary brings more to the offense than Moss does though. Both are underwhelming as feature backs but Singletary has more big play ability. He’d be much better as a backup than a starter like this year. 

But RB’s are found all over the draft. I just think the Bills need to change their approach. A good back can be had in the mid rounds.

Yeah I thought Singletary brought more also, however not by a lot though. He great at making players miss and I guess you could add Moss being a rookie, he will likely get better.

But the OL run blocking wasn't great either. Probably could add play calling to a certain extent/and or scheme also. Wonder if they draft an OL player or maybe get one in F/A. Anyway, just saying although the RB's struggled, it's not all on them. I'm sure you already know this though.

But agree they need a more speedy RB with decent hands obviously. That with improved run blocking may get em over the little hump, or close to it.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Heh?    Most of the time "mid rounds" are 4&5,  sometimes 3rd.  That is where these guys were from.  ?

The problem with Singletary this year was that he didn’t look like he was trying all that hard. If the hole wasn’t there he just ran straight into the pile. If the play was to the outside he wouldn’t take on the defender. He’d just collapse or run out of bounds. I have to wonder if he was having motivational issues. He just didn’t look all that committed at any point in the season (with the exception of the long garbage time run against the Jets), and the drop against the Chiefs was the prime example. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

The problem with Singletary this year was that he didn’t look like he was trying all that hard. If the hole wasn’t there he just ran straight into the pile. If the play was to the outside he wouldn’t take on the defender. He’d just collapse or run out of bounds. I have to wonder if he was having motivational issues. He just didn’t look all that committed at any point in the season (with the exception of the long garbage time run against the Jets), and the drop against the Chiefs was the prime example. 

Disagree. while he didn't have a great year, run blocking was an issue. Also I recall many times he made defenders miss, which he is good at.

19 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Heh?    Most of the time "mid rounds" are 4&5,  sometimes 3rd.  That is where these guys were from.  ?

It's less about when and more about who, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big believer in having a diverse backfield unless you can find a significant role for the McCaffrey's of this world that transcend the position.

Moss in the 3rd round made me sad because while he's pegged as a power back, he's not a particularly good one. You can survive with him in a rotation as long as you've got a little bit of speed to mix things up. Singletary is another solid back but neither of them make defenders fearful of them.

With the Bills having a really good passing attack, teams have to honour that. You have a really shifty back that's a reliable receiver and you can add dimensions to the offense that don't really exist outside of a few gimmick plays. You don't have to run the ball too much if you can use quick game throws etc. to act as a psuedo run game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/30/2021 at 12:06 PM, whorlnut said:

You had me at “cut Singletary”. I have seen enough. I really feel that the game was over once he dropped that pass. The way to beat the chiefs is to keep scoring and put pressure on them. Once the chiefs got the ball, they took the lead and it was all but over. 

I agree about the drop pass,  but when you dig deeper you will see this guy is not good enough at running the football.  No size to break tackles and no burst or speed to run by players in this league.  It was a bust pick and i felt that way the day we drafted him,  4.65 in the 40 is not going to get it done.   The Chiefs basically said we think your RB is useless and were going to play 6 DBS all night.  Upgrade by signing another released RB or drafting one and please no more guys from small schools that you never even heard about before draft night.

From his scouting report during draft year:

Lacks top-end speed to run away from opponents in space

Play speed tends to be monotone throughout the rep

Rarely keeps runs play-side and looks for early cuts

Excessive cuts will be met with earlier tackles from swarming, NFL defenders

Will need to learn to run a more disciplined track

Tendency is to bounce it to his left

Power diminishes when facing squared contact

Suffered from focus drops this season

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Disagree. while he didn't have a great year, run blocking was an issue. Also I recall many times he made defenders miss, which he is good at.

Well we’ll definitely disagree then. Moss showed way more effort and thus he got more playing time as the season went along.

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm not saying he didn't struggle. He obviously did. Just pointing out he wasn't the sole reason. 

Agree. My point was a simple one. He appeared to me to be struggling mentally or motivationally. I don’t believe he was injured. I’m wondering if his head wasn’t in the game. Personal issues? Covid concerns? Lack of fans cheering? He didn’t look like the same player.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:58 AM, maryland-bills-fan said:

What’s heh? They just chose poorly in the mid rounds.

I’m aware of what mid rounds are. Hence why I wrote the words.