Cut Singletary

balln

1.1 mil doesnt change who Buffalo drafts or signs.  Keep him. He is more than servicable.  Both back average above 4 ypc.  They dont get more than whats available.  Lesean McCoy, the guy that got us to the playoffs and played with Rex gets over 1,000 yards last year probably finishes top 3.  

Im not saying change anything with offense.  Pass more than run.  A more dynamic runner gets more yards.  For every run they got 1 or 2 more yards they didnt have the gear to get the 20 to 30 yarder that was there.  Thats why Kenneth Davis wasnt a starter.  Davis gets you 4 to 8 yards.  Those plays Thurman gets you 20 40.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Why? Just draft another RB in the mid rounds and one will be inactive on Sunday taking Yeldon's spot.

You are saving virtually nothing and the guy isn't some dude averaging 3 YPC. He still averaged 4.4 YPC this year. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Jaret Patterson in a Bills uniform.

Better yet have the 3rd true RB active and let Taiwan Jones walk!

Jones had 6 ST tackles and dropped a perfectly thrown TD from Allen.

Taiwan Jones full 3 years as a Buffalo Bill stats.

14 Combined Tackles

0 rushes

1 of 6 catches for 11 yards.

2020 Cap Hit:  $1.7 Million.

MOVE ON FROM THE SOON TO BE 33 YEAR OLD JONES!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, balln said:

Saves us 1.1 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/

Draft this guy. Felton. Converted slot WR > now a RB. Let McKenzie and Roberts walk. This guy is a RB/slot WR/ kick returner all in one.

Gotta be ruthless

Seems like everyone is quick to forget. Last season Singletary was arguably our best offensive player. Just because we switched to mainly a passing offense doesn’t mean he just isn’t a good player. He is a good enough runner under a rookie contract. You’re stupid if you cut him. Not to mention Josh rarely looked to him in the passing game. He had one drop in the playoff game. Get over cutting players. Josh threw a pick are we cutting him?  Diggs dropped a pass are we cutting him?  Singletary can run. Is he a game breaker from a speed standpoint?  No. But if we had decent run blocking in front of him he can easily put together a 1,200+ yard season.   I imagine with Ford back next year we have more of an effort to get a running game going. Our line did well pass blocking but we could still improve. Run blocking they left a lot to be desired.   I just don’t see why all the blame on Singletary. That game loss was hardly on him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

"Cut Singletary"

I think Singletary stays.  Our line wasn't great at opening holes for him.

Plus he's good at protecting the QB.  That's not a skill that's easy for a rookie to pick up.  Star RB's out of college tend to specialize in "look out" blocks.

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

not sure about cutting anyone but having your QB as your short yardage back will end in injury

That's the best answer yet. I want a qb with the capacity to run. I just don't want him to become Lamar Jackson. I guarantee you somewhere down the road Lamar's career will end early just like RG3 & Vick. 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:04 PM, balln said:

Saves us 1.1 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/

Draft this guy. Felton. Converted slot WR > now a RB. Let McKenzie and Roberts walk. This guy is a RB/slot WR/ kick returner all in one.

Gotta be ruthless

saves $600,000 (he would have $500,000 dead money) 

you keep singletary as your 3rd RB on depth chart (moss 2nd, with a new #1)

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Do either of them scare the other teams?  Do other teams scheme how to stop those two.  ... Just saying.

Does it matter?    a Veteran RB demands the vet min of ~800K.  so $ wise it is not a great savings.

It's not just these 2 young RB's.  I'd rather see Yeldon go first,

With Daboll's insistence of putting it all on Josh the run game comes secondary. Or it had.  But that has to change 

just saw this....now I'm confused....this graph shows yac/att , "yards after contact per rushing attempt" (henry ranks 5th)

singletary is ranked 3rd & moss 15th....???? (thats good)

wouldn't that then be an indictment on the bills Oline ?? (thats bad)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/rushing_advanced.htm

**click on the header yac/att

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1

Singletary showed us what he could do in his rookie season which most here were happy to see the production out of a rookie . I believe though that they made Moss more of the lead back this season and cut Singletary's carry's which i believe hurt him .

Contrary to expert belief i think RB by comity is way over rated I still think a good RB needs to get into some kind of rhythm of the game but the being said when in the game they need to do their job so the drop did hamper his playing time for sure McD doesn't play .

I think the Bills need a bigger back as a compliment Moss & Motor are in the same mould neither are real big if they do go RB in this draft i hope it's a Najee Harris size back as a tough/short yardage back that still has the skills to bust a big one .

On 1/31/2021 at 3:01 PM, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well I didn't know that other teams didn't split up their RB carries between different players.  Thanks for the new information that the rest of the world doesn't know about.  Oh and ever if you count up all the carries that Moss and Singletary got , they are 27% of the Bills plays.  The next highest team is #33 where there were 33% rushing plays.

Edwards-Helaire had similar stats as Singletary... so evidently the rest of the world doesn't know about your amazing skills at being a General Manager outside of TBD and your glowing recommendation to cut a value added player in Singletary. You should add it to your resume- TBD NFL General Manager.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

saves $600,000 (he would have $500,000 dead money) 

you keep singletary as your 3rd RB on depth chart (moss 2nd, with a new #1)

You don't save any money then.  The replacement costs 600k.

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

just saw this....now I'm confused....this graph shows yac/att , "yards after contact per rushing attempt" (henry ranks 5th)

singletary is ranked 3rd & moss 15th....???? (thats good)

wouldn't that then be an indictment on the bills Oline ?? (thats bad)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/rushing_advanced.htm

**click on the header yac/att

I mean... the oline was bad at run blocking.  I don't think moss and singletary did enough with the openings that were there either - but i wouldnt give a pass to the oline either.  Spain switched sides and sucked, then got cut and Winters sucked.  Ford switched positions again, then got hurt.  Boettger was meh.  Feliciano and morse don't impress me either.  Essentially the entire interior of the line was a mess.  

• Agree 1

On 1/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

This is something that could very well come back to bite us in the as*.  If he gets cut, there's no way he dosn't get offers from other teams.  He's a good runner, and receiver, just needs to have a line that can create some running lanes for him.

there is so many levels of wrong on this post.. I don't no where to start...

On 1/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

This is something that could very well come back to bite us in the as*.  If he gets cut, there's no way he dosn't get offers from other teams.  He's a good runner, and receiver, just needs to have a line that can create some running lanes for him.

Devin is an average back- a 2 at best. He just doesn’t have that second gear you need out of a smaller back. Also, devin drops a lot of passes. Just my take but we must upgrade the RB position.

• Like (+1) 2

Why do they call him "Motor"?

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's the best answer yet. I want a qb with the capacity to run. I just don't want him to become Lamar Jackson. I guarantee you somewhere down the road Lamar's career will end early just like RG3 & Vick. 

RG3's career was done in by a lack of NFL caliber talent.  Josh has no such worries.