Cut Singletary

balln

16 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You don’t unilaterally cut young players that have a record of performance unless it saves substantial money. He doesn’t even save us the $ needed to sign his replacement. 

That being said - Bring in competition. If he can’t make the team, cut him or trade him in August. 

Well Singletary's record of performance is #44th rushing yardage in the NFL.   There are 32 teams.

Gotta be ruthless.

Don't gotta be stupid.

Cutting him with extremely little savings before someone beats him out would be outright stupid.

Beane made clear in his PC that he isn't looking at the RBs as having failed. It would be hard to miss what that means, but many obviously have.

It's possible that Singletary went from 2nd in the league in YPA to this year being below average because he regressed ... and it's possible that the other RB running behind the same line who most folks on here like more because of his one-cut and go, bruising style, that back had nearly the same YPA except a tenth of a yard less than Singletary because, because, I don't know, because the footing was bad and the sun was in their eyes, maybe.

It's possible. But it's not likely.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OK, I don't think we should cut Singletary NOW.   I'm don't know when the time to cut him is that will save the team cap money or salary money.

I certainly hope that next year, the most we might be having him at is a 3rd or 4th round running back.  There will be a lot of much better running backs dropped from other teams because of the reduced cap, and that surplus will depress the market, so we can buy cheap.  If dropping him now saves money, do it.  If we can wait, well no reason to do it now.

Singletary has no value for a trade for a draft pick.  He has poor performance.  He is NOT going to be a starter on any other team.  He has a low ceiling.  Teams would be much better off claiming a veteran free agent with a low salary and better performance.  Alternately, they would be as well off taking a low round or undrafted RB as on speculation.

On another aspect,  we are not inside the Bill's coaching strategy sessions. Some posters have suggested that Moss/Singletary would be gangbusters if they only sere permitted to run the ball a lot more.  I think they don't run with the ball more because the coaches know it would be effective.

18 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

It only saves 1/2 a million with dead cap.  Agree we need an upgrade, but no point to cut him anytime soon.  If they upgrade, keep him as the 3rd back or try to flip him for a late rounder.

yeah really no point in cutting him.  let him come to camp and compete with whoever else we bring in.  then decide.  silly reactionary post.  

You do not cut Singletary.  Teams need multiple RBs, they get hurt - see Moss.  Also Singletary gives us continuity if needed in emergency.  And did have a good freshman year.  Cut Yeldon.

I would like a new RB1 candidate.  IMO, this should be drafted.  A drafted RB can be useful in his first season (unlike most TEs or pass rushers at the 30 spot).  The FA dollars should be spent on a veteran pass rusher and/or TE.

Also, I would say "No" to the squashable lightweight RB from UCLA.  Harris or Etienne please.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

I love first downs, don't you?

Not when it’s a stretch play where an extra 5-10 yards were available and Singletary has to dive for the first down marker because he doesn’t have the speed to catch the edge.  

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not when it’s a stretch play where an extra 5-10 yards were available and Singletary has to dive for the first down marker because he doesn’t have the speed to catch the edge.  

Then your problem is with Dabol designing plays his backs can't execute.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

It only saves 1/2 a million with dead cap.  Agree we need an upgrade, but no point to cut him anytime soon.  If they upgrade, keep him as the 3rd back or try to flip him for a late rounder.

I agree, he is definitely in the bubble this camp.

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well Singletary's record of performance is #44th rushing yardage in the NFL.   There are 32 teams.

See, this is why I could do the job of many of the talking heads of sports because IF YOU IGNORE CONTEXT then yeah, spit out stats that when further analyzed are exposed.

Zack Moss 112 RUSHES--481 YARDS--4.3 YPC

Devin Singletary 156 RUSHES--687 YARDS--4.4 YPC

So when you split carries like that, what do you expect him to do, be in the Top 20 with 156 carries??? 

--------------------

Here is another NFL HB on a very successsful playoff team:

181 RUSHES--803 YARDS--4.4 YPC

Maybe that playoff team should cut that HB... he's the same as Devin Singletary. But what do I know?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Then your problem is with Dabol designing plays his backs can't execute.  

It’s not... at all.  

Cant design stretch plays for him.  Can’t design reliable pass plays for him.  Can’t run off tackle with him.  

I’m sure he could be good on a team with a strong OL that relies more on the run.  His shiftiness will probably turn those downhill 5 yard runs into 8-10 yard runs.   

That’s not here, nor do I want to completely revamp our OL to suit a slow RB who struggles at pass catching with potential detriment to pass pro.   

We can certainly upgrade the interior, but Yeldon and Moss did everything better than Singletary in their chances this year.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not a great post-season for him. But I also have to say that the Bills didn’t help him out either. They barely give him any touches and when they did, the missed blocks doomed the running plays. And if they had him running more off of read options, he probably looks way more effective.

He needs to play better. The team though needs to play better around him.

The knee-jerk reactions based solely on the last two games are really amazing. 

Agree.  You don’t cut a 2 year player with a favorable contract until you have a better player in place.  

OK, the guy dropped a pass and it hurt us.  Beane told us the running game needs fixing but to point directly and only at the running backs would be a mistake.  Blocking,  scheme and formations, and commitment all are involved.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Logic said:

This idea is silly and reactionary.

Singletary was not the problem this year.

You don’t need to promise him a starting spot, by any means, but he has value on this team.

Cutting him outright would be foolish.

He’s not a good RB.

Doesn’t really do one thing well with the exception of making “some” guys miss in open space. 

Now I am not saying cut him, but he’s definitely a part of the problem in terms of the run game IMO 

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

See, this is why I could do the job of many of the talking heads of sports because IF YOU IGNORE CONTEXT then yeah, spit out stats that when further analyzed are exposed.

Zack Moss 112 RUSHES--481 YARDS--4.3 YPC

Devin Singletary 156 RUSHES--687 YARDS--4.4 YPC

So when you split carries like that, what do you expect him to do, be in the Top 20 with 156 carries??? 

--------------------

Here is another NFL HB on a very successsful playoff team:

181 RUSHES--803 YARDS--4.4 YPC

Maybe that playoff team should cut that HB... he's the same as Devin Singletary. But what do I know?

Well I didn't know that other teams didn't split up their RB carries between different players.  Thanks for the new information that the rest of the world doesn't know about.  Oh and ever if you count up all the carries that Moss and Singletary got , they are 27% of the Bills plays.  The next highest team is #33 where there were 33% rushing plays.

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

😝 
1. RB by committee.  

2. Dabolls game plan. 
3. Even Thurman Thomas era had a 3rd down back with Kenny Davis. 

Just saying 

Do either of them scare the other teams?  Do other teams scheme how to stop those two.  ... Just saying.

8 hours ago, ALF said:

Need better run blocking , easier said then done.  

Well, scheme that exploits speedy RB's are NOT part of our play selection. I imagine there are ways of getting a running game off of dead zero, even with a o-line that is geared for pass blocking.

I didnt read it myself or see it.  I heard on a podcast that still this year Singeltary and Moss were still very high in the nfl at missed tackle rate.  I understand that is translatable from college to NFL.  Seems like a true thing.  Imo they are both a step slow from getting 20 but get 6 or 7.  Imo thats where the time matters.  Both similar guys in speed.  With defense predicated on nickel i feel sub 4.6 is a requirement as a major contributor at rb.  Unless your a massive human and can bully guys thats a differant element.  Even Henry and Dillon are sub 4.6 

Why? Just draft another RB in the mid rounds and one will be inactive on Sunday taking Yeldon's spot.

You are saving virtually nothing and the guy isn't some dude averaging 3 YPC. He still averaged 4.4 YPC this year. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Jaret Patterson in a Bills uniform.