Cut Singletary

balln

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

This is something that could very well come back to bite us in the as*.  If he gets cut, there's no way he dosn't get offers from other teams.  He's a good runner, and receiver, just needs to have a line that can create some running lanes for him.

Which brings us to the question, can this line black for any running back? I'm not so sure right now.

• Like (+1) 1

You don’t unilaterally cut young players that have a record of performance unless it saves substantial money. He doesn’t even save us the $ needed to sign his replacement. 

That being said - Bring in competition. If he can’t make the team, cut him or trade him in August. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

OK.  I think we can all understand what the Bills should do by considering our gut feel at the following time.

When Singletary catches a short swing pass.  Do you feel a sudden jolt of excitement that he might take the ball all the way to the house?

If you don't, and know that is NOT going to happen, then we need a different running back.

Yeldon on the other hand in just one small dose, playing in the biggest game of his life gave you the feeling of lightning in a bottle ready to get uncorked and strike. Also made one of the hardest catches of the day IMO. 

13 minutes ago, balln said:

dont know how you evaluate "team sucks" at running screens. teams consistnely are throwing the ball into the ground when its blown up.

im saying juicy - when theres no one around him

I remember one instance when no one was around him. Fine. He dropped the pass in the big game. Yes, that was bad. 0/1 for 0% on “juicy” screens. (BTW, “juicy” is just as ambiguous as “sucks”)

Singletary is not so worthless as to be cut.

Even from just a cap perspective, cutting Singletary is a bad move, it costs the Bills money. He has a $1.1 cap number in '21. If released, his dead cap $ is about $518k. Right now they count the top 51 salaries. Player 52 for the Bills has a cap number of $780k. So here's the comparison with or without him:

Keep Singletary: Cap hit $1.1 million

Cut him: Player 52 cap # $780k + dead cap from Singletary $518k = Cap hit of $1,298,000

So cut him and it costs the Bills almost $200k more against the cap vs. keeping him.

He may not be the #1 back but they can do far worse as a #2 or #3 and cutting him hurts the cap situation. Bad idea all around.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

OK.  I think we can all understand what the Bills should do by considering our gut feel at the following time.

When Singletary catches a short swing pass.  Do you feel a sudden jolt of excitement that he might take the ball all the way to the house?

If you don't, and know that is NOT going to happen, then we need a different running back.

Why would anyone bring the ball to me, I sit in the upper deck ??? :huh:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I don't think you cut all three if them but you could get rid of Robert's and Singletary and replace them with this guy. You do need a backup plan at kick returner, so I'd keep Mckenzie. I also think that McKenzie can play a Hardman role for us and that's valuable. I think our offense didn't use him as much as we should have in the playoffs. We used a lot of jet sweep motion early and it worked great and then we didn't do much of it in the playoffs. 

Under no circumstances should they cut McKenzie. He made plays in his limited role as a wr and kr. Roberts will be gone for sure and maybe Smoke if he doesn't restructure? Isaiah has earned the right to stay.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

why? it saves money. its not reactionary. if we didnt draft or sign any RBs yea he can stay. but we have to be ruthless with our roster. time to be honest as beane has said

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-pff-top-running-backs

I just don’t think a third year running back on a third round pick’s salary is the cap savings we’re looking for.

More importantly, Singletary was good his rookie season. He rushed for 4.5 ypc and had 134 all purpose yards against the Texans in the playoffs.

He didn’t just suddenly forget how to play football this year.

Fix the run blocking. Fix the run scheme. Moss and Singletary weren’t the problem.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You don’t unilaterally cut young players that have a record of performance unless it saves substantial money. He doesn’t even save us the $ needed to sign his replacement. 

That being said - Bring in competition. If he can’t make the team, cut him or trade him in August. 

Well said.

3 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Even from just a cap perspective, cutting Singletary is a bad move, it costs the Bills money. He has a $1.1 cap number in '21. If released, his dead cap $ is about $518k. Right now they count the top 51 salaries. Player 52 for the Bills has a cap number of $780k. So here's the comparison with or without him:

Cut him: Player 52 cap # $780k + dead cap from Singletary $518k = Cap hit of $1,298,000

So cut him and it costs the Bills almost $200k more against the cap vs. keeping him.

He may not be the #1 back but they can do far worse as a #2 or #3 and cutting him hurts the cap situation. Bad idea all around.

Perfect reasoning.  I say the same thing about cap numbers concerning the Top 51 every year and people still don't get it.

Singletary has zero chance of being cut throughout training camp and preseason.

Just to add to your great points, once the Bills start signing some UFAs and the top 4 draft picks that $780k #52 roster guys

will be another 100k or more higher.  Once again, people just don't get it.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Under no circumstances should they cut McKenzie. He made plays in his limited role as a wr and kr. Roberts will be gone for sure and maybe Smoke if he doesn't restructure? Isaiah has earned the right to stay.

Mckenzie is a free agent

On second thought....don’t cut motor....but he should be battling for the #3 spot instead of the #1 spot 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Singletary is on a rookie deal. Although I have mentioned Felton in previous posts and think he would be an excellent fit in the offense, Singletary is not a guy you cut for cap savings when he has talent and is on a rookie contract. 

19 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Great we're stuck with him. At least give Moss the RB1 spot and see what we have with A. Williams? 

And what's the point of cutting him? He's a 2nd year player. Maybe let him continue to develop while fixing the blocking and running schemes. He is cheap and young.

Keeping him on the roster does not prevent you from drafting or signing another running back. Send them to camp and let them compete.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

100% agree. beane and McD will hold on to "Their" guys too much. nate peterman. any carolina panther. that trade for benjamin was awful. theyll hold onto edmunds too and keep spouting 22 and young (i mean i hope he turns into a stud) but yea. thats my overall point. Ruthless. i love that beane kept repeating "be honest with ourselves" 

Well this isn’t actually true... unless you just believe that development doesn’t exist and a player should be cut when they don’t perform to outside expectations immediately.Which in that case you’d be advocating we move on from Josh after year 1 or 2. 

The majority of former Panthers brought here were 1 and done. They’ve moved on from underperforming draft picks in a reasonable about of time. You’ve got to give players time to improve and grow. It’s not linear either. They’ve made mistakes for sure, but if I’m reading this correctly your premise is just to give up on guys and churn through bodies constantly. 

Do we need upgrades? Heck yeah we do. Every team does. With that in mind... we are legitimately one of the top 5 teams in the NFL, the ability to upgrade our players is harder than it was 4-5 years ago when we lacked talent everywhere. We have very few truly bad players, it just isn’t possible for us to have so many on a high performing football team. We may lack difference makers, but there’s not guarantee Felton or any other guy someone may suggest comes in and outperforms whoever they replace. 

Beane/McDermott know they need to constantly get better and I agree. That’s how you stay at the top, but to this point the good far outweighs the bad. To harp on the things you’re harping on is expecting them to be entirely perfect with every decision they make, if that’s your expectation you’re constantly going to be disappointed. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Mckenzie is a free agent

On second thought....don’t cut motor....but he should be battling for the #3 spot instead of the #1 spot 

So we lose money if we cut him. So what I would do is promote Moss as my #1 RB. Give him 60% of the touches and hope he doesn't regress like Devin. I'd love to see Yeldon get more opportunities. I just don't understand why a productive player like TJ gets buried on the roster? Kick the tires on Williams and bury Devin as RB4 insurance, like they did Yeldon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

IMO, you can flat out count on Singletary and Brown being gone next year, and replaced with improvements at cheaper Ks.

Going to be pretty hard to find significant savings with a Singletary replacement.