Cut Singletary

balln

1 minute ago, schoolhouserock said:

I enjoy watching Singletary play. He has some unique attributes that we don’t see every day. It may be that there are RBs better suited for an air raid offense, which is totally fine. However, there has got to be a way to put Singletary in a better position to succeed.

right like giving him juicy screen passes - he either drops them or he gets tackled with the first defender

Here I go, when is it that folk will grasp the fact our run blocking was miserable on a good day? 

The entire run game was an afterthought all season long.

Not one of our offensive coaches cared a whole hell of a lot about the run game because we were scoring points passing right and left, it wasn’t until our primary receivers were all injured at the same time that the woeful run game showed up on the coaches radar. 

This isn’t rocket science, yes both Moss and Singletary are okay RBs neither were very good this past season, both would be substantially better if our O line could run block with any actual consistency. There in lies the crux of the biscuit, in the famous words of Frank Zappa...  just sayin,

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, balln said:

i guess i posted a video a video of felton. if you draft felton , have moss, and thats all you do w RB, keep devin and then based on undrafted rookies or a cheaper vet / would cut devin. I would bet Beane can find an UDFA rookie thats better

i had felton as replacing

Need a better cost benefit analysis here.  Situation: Cut a player who's had some production on a rookie contract with 2 years in this system to use a draft pick on a rookie.  

Benefits are hopefully increased production and marginal change in cap hit.  Costs are, you have a rookie.  You use a draft pick that could be allocated toward another position that affects the game CB, OL, pass rush (not in that order).  

I would not use another top 3 round pick on a RB.  Nor do I blame Singletary for Buffalo's inability to run the ball.  

The root of the issue isn't so much with Singletary, as it is with their OL.  He averaged 5 yards per carry in '19 and 4.4 in '20.  I would, however, look to find a more speedy complement and competition, but not high in the draft.

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Need a better cost benefit analysis here.  Situation: Cut a player who's had some production on a rookie contract with 2 years in this system to use a draft pick on a rookie.  

Benefits are hopefully increased production and marginal change in cap hit.  Costs are, you have a rookie.  You use a draft pick that could be allocated toward another position that affects the game CB, OL, pass rush (not in that order).  

I would not use another top 3 round pick on a RB.  Nor do I blame Singletary for Buffalo's inability to run the ball.  

The root of the issue isn't so much with Singletary, as it is with their OL.  He averaged 5 yards per carry in '19 and 4.4 in '20.  I would, however, look to find a more speedy complement and competition, but not high in the draft.

felton is projected to be a 4th rounder.... also every year you are paying rookies- its a fixed cost each year

44 minutes ago, DJB said:

As much as I really dislike Singletary this is a bad take. 

Hes on a cheap rookie contract so I don't see the point. 

He can learn to play special teams and be our #3 RB

Myself personally, T J Yeldon is the best horse in Buffalos stable. Experienced, drafted higher then both Singeltary and Moss. A very good all purpose back that better fits the Daboll/ Allen high powered passing O with size and WR catching abilities coming out of the back field. Its a no brainer right? think again. Not when you have new regime draft picks stacked in front of you.

I think one of the harder aspects of managing a pro sports team is knowing when to cut your losses and move on.

To players like Najee Harris, resign Yeldon. (Moss is a keeper)

Go bama!, Lets go Buffalo!!!

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Here I go, when is it that folk will grasp the fact our run blocking was miserable on a good day? 

The entire run game was an afterthought all season long.

Not one of our offensive coaches cared a whole hell of a lot about the run game because we were scoring points passing right and left, it wasn’t until our primary receivers were all injured at the same time that the woeful run game showed up on the coaches radar. 

This isn’t rocket science, yes both Moss and Singletary are okay RBs neither were very good this past season, both would be substantially better if our O line could run block with any actual consistency. There in lies the crux of the biscuit, in the famous words of Frank Zappa...  just sayin,

Go Bills!!!

To the bolded, just to point out that there were times when the run game was not an afterthought (1st NE game, LAC, Denver)

Otherwise, agree.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To the bolded, just to point out that there were times when the run game was not an afterthought (1st NE game, LAC, Denver)

Otherwise, agree.

You are correct, these issues are rarely black and white. 

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Myself personally, T J Yeldon is the best horse in Buffalos stable. Experienced, drafted higher then both Singeltary and Moss. A very good all purpose back that better fits the Daboll/ Allen high powered passing O with size and WR catching abilities coming out of the back field. Its a no brainer right? think again. Not when you have new regime draft picks stacked in front of you.

I think one of the harder aspects of managing a pro sports team is knowing when to cut your losses and move on.

To players like Najee Harris, resign Yeldon. 

Go bama!, Lets go Buffalo!!!

100% agree. beane and McD will hold on to "Their" guys too much. nate peterman. any carolina panther. that trade for benjamin was awful. theyll hold onto edmunds too and keep spouting 22 and young (i mean i hope he turns into a stud) but yea. thats my overall point. Ruthless. i love that beane kept repeating "be honest with ourselves" 

1 minute ago, schoolhouserock said:

That’s what happens when your team sucks as running screens. It takes more than one dude to make it work.

dont know how you evaluate "team sucks" at running screens. teams consistnely are throwing the ball into the ground when its blown up.

im saying juicy - when theres no one around him

OK.  I think we can all understand what the Bills should do by considering our gut feel at the following time.

When Singletary catches a short swing pass.  Do you feel a sudden jolt of excitement that he might take the ball all the way to the house?

If you don't, and know that is NOT going to happen, then we need a different running back.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

OK.  I think we can all understand what the Bills should do by considering our gut feel at the following time.

When Singletary catches a short swing pass.  Do you feel a sudden jolt f excitement that he will take the ball to the house?

If you don't and know that is NOT going to happen, then we need a different running back.

thank you

7 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

When Singletary catches a short swing pass.  Do you feel a sudden jolt of excitement that he might take the ball all the way to the house?

If you don't, and know that is NOT going to happen, then we need a different running back.

Not mocking your post.

You know who did give you that jolt?  OJ in broken field

• Haha (+1) 1