Cut Singletary

balln

1 minute ago, Logic said:

This idea is silly and reactionary.

Singletary was not the problem this year.

You don’t need to promise him a starting spot, by any means, but he has value on this team.

Cutting him outright would be foolish.

why? it saves money. its not reactionary. if we didnt draft or sign any RBs yea he can stay. but we have to be ruthless with our roster. time to be honest as beane has said

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-pff-top-running-backs

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

Last season Singletary was a bright surprise who exceeded expectations as a 3rd round rookie. This year he regressed. Maybe it had something to do with losing Gore as his mentor? Perhaps switching to a pass first offense where he was barely used was also a problem?

My thoughts (not that it counts) - they're not gonna hang their hat on Singletary, but he's likely got a spot on the team next season. 

Edited by CheshireCT

I hear a lot of talk about how the run blocking is the problem. While I agree our run blocking sucked, that doesn't change the fact that Singletary isn't good enough to be an effective RB. Even behind the Colts' O-line, he'd still be JAG. You just can't be a solid NFL running back with his speed, unless you're a 230lb+ bruiser- and even most bruisers are faster than Singletary.

I don't think we should cut him, but we need to add a RB and relegate him to RB3 spot duty.

• Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, balln said:

Saves us 1.1 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/

Draft this guy. Felton. Converted slot WR > now a RB. Let McKenzie and Roberts walk. This guy is a RB/slot WR/ kick returner all in one.

Gotta be ruthless

I don't think you cut all three if them but you could get rid of Robert's and Singletary and replace them with this guy. You do need a backup plan at kick returner, so I'd keep Mckenzie. I also think that McKenzie can play a Hardman role for us and that's valuable. I think our offense didn't use him as much as we should have in the playoffs. We used a lot of jet sweep motion early and it worked great and then we didn't do much of it in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I am emotionally upset at *spins the wheel* Devin Singletary! Cut Him! 

not at all. he makes 1.1 million. and would save 500K in cap space. we can do better.

He had insane production in college. but hes too slow/small. i think my biggest issues with him is - his lack of pass catching/and hes not making people miss in the open field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, DJB said:

As much as I really dislike Singletary this is a bad take. 

Hes on a cheap rookie contract so I don't see the point. 

He can learn to play special teams and be our #3 RB

he absolutely cant play special teams...... where? 

Singletary gained 5 ypg last year and 4.4 this year.  Some love to point out candidates for release, but rarely offer a solution to replacing that player.  

He's not dynamic, particularly in the passing game, but 1.1M savings is chump change.  That said, bring in competition and see how he responds. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JimKellyTryouts said:

I really like Felton and if this thread was dedicated towards us having a look at him instead of your current title I'm sure you'd be getting a much different reception. No need to cut Singletary, but he can certainly be upgraded.

i guess i posted a video a video of felton. if you draft felton , have moss, and thats all you do w RB, keep devin and then based on undrafted rookies or a cheaper vet / would cut devin. I would bet Beane can find an UDFA rookie thats better

Just now, BillsVet said:

Singletary gained 5 ypg last year and 4.4 this year.  Some love to point out candidates for release, but rarely offer a solution to replacing that player.  

He's not dynamic, particularly in the passing game, but 1.1M savings is chump change.  That said, bring in competition and see how he responds. 

i had felton as replacing

Neither of our backs have the speed to get to the edge. We need to build a team that can attack any part of the field. Neither Moss or Singletary have me sold on them. Felton looks like a viable option for upgrading the position and McBean likes versatility. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

He's not a starter, but Singletary has a place on this team. Cutting him would be a bad football move.

im not so sure anymore. Singletary was the unquestionable starter at the end of last year. and the beginning of this year. Moss then became our starter. hows singletary as a blocker - honest question - i think hes better than you would think. BUT beane can draft and sign an UDFA rookie that better. TEAMS every year do this