Why did the Bills switch up pass protection scheme in AFC Championship???

Rebel101

Anybody have any idea? We’ve been using extra blockers all season to give Allen time. The AFC championship we did not and our OLine couldn’t hold at all on their own. The scheme of both sides of the ball was horrible. But why change something so drastic as your pass protection concepts and not do what got you there?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Anybody have any idea? We’ve been using extra blockers all season to give Allen time. The AFC championship we did not and our OLine couldn’t hold at all on their own. The scheme of both sides of the ball was horrible. But why change something so drastic as your pass protection concepts and not do what got you there?

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Why did the Bills go from attacking WRs at the line of scrimmage in the Bal game to letting Mahomes pick us apart... Again, in soft zone. Allowing Kelce a free release into whatever soft spot he wanted.

Because they thought it would help us win

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

did we really change what we did? We sometimes would bring an extra blocker or two in to help against the blitz this year. But not sure we did anything too different. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

did we really change what we did? We sometimes would bring an extra blocker or two in to help against the blitz this year. But not sure we did anything too different. 

Yeah most our packages had that extra blocker or 2. I mean maybe not even play but it was mostly just the O line against the chiefs

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Why did the Bills go from attacking WRs at the line of scrimmage in the Bal game to letting Mahomes pick us apart... Again, in soft zone. Allowing Kelce a free release into whatever soft spot he wanted.

That was one of the main things I saw about how to disrupt the chiefs I was baffled to. But Hyde said after when asked they wanted us to not miss jamming him then have someone outta position. The coaching staff really went back to their conservative ways in this one. But hopefully they learn 

35 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Yeah most our packages had that extra blocker or 2. I mean maybe not even play but it was mostly just the O line against the chiefs

I think we were #2 in the league this year in % of plays run with 4+ WRs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Sure.  I bet they did.  I'm not sure why they would have thought that, but okay.  They are the experts.

I am not an expert, but I figured out after about 3 series that it wasn't helping us win.  

Maybe you should screenshot your post and tweet it with a mention @buffalobills.  Maybe Kim will hire you when they fire the idiot coaches 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

I think they were trying something different to throw them off but it just ended up back firing.

Fortunately McDermott constantly reviews himself and is why he has changed and improved so much since he got here. He will do the same with this loss and improve from it.

• Like (+1) 1

Ay. McDermott just finished year 4 as a HC. 

Just like a draft pick , he'll grow and learn from this.  They anticipated the wrong things,  made bad adjustments and just had an off night. 

I'm very confident McD , Dabol , Frazier and every position coach grows from this. 

They had a bad day at the office. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I think we were #2 in the league this year in % of plays run with 4+ WRs.

We were. And if you want to dig deeper we also ran extra protection on the most plays so being a smart ass doesn’t work when you only do half the work 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think they were trying something different to throw them off but it just ended up back firing.

Fortunately McDermott constantly reviews himself and is why he has changed and improved so much since he got here. He will do the same with this loss and improve from it.

If I could give Sean just one word of advice.  Stop being so damn conservative and let this team surprise you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ay. McDermott just finished year 4 as a HC. 

Just like a draft pick , he'll grow and learn from this.  They anticipated the wrong things,  made bad adjustments and just had an off night. 

I'm very confident McD , Dabol , Frazier and every position coach grows from this. 

They had a bad day at the office. 🤷‍♂️

I agree. He went back to being conservative which is what he is comfortable with. I love McBeane. It was just mind boggling to see how ***** both schemes were. But they will learn and hopefully grow. Josh also fell back into his trying to do to much. Which hopefully he works out of his system in year 4. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If I could give Sean just one word of advice.  Stop being so damn conservative and let this team surprise you.

he was really unconservative this year but unfortunately he tightened up in the playoffs. Next year will be better, might not have the same record but i expect us to not make those mistakes again. McDermott has already publicly lamented going for FGs instead of TDs  , which is uncommon for a head coach to admit publicly , and if were are in a similar situation i expect he will make the right choice.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I agree. He went back to being conservative which is what he is comfortable with. I love McBeane. It was just mind boggling to see how ***** both schemes were. But they will learn and hopefully grow. Josh also fell back into his trying to do to much. Which hopefully he works out of his system in year 4. 

I agree on everything you said.  

The number 1 thing Josh needs , is a run game and it's not close. KC and many teams have showed it zero respect,  only making Josh's job that much harder. 

The Bills know this..

trust Beane and Co will identify whether it's a OL/RB (both) issue and address it. 

If we can run the ball imagine how much better an already elite offense can Be!!! 😍

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why did McD opt to kick FGs when it was clear his defense wasn’t stopping Mahomes and TDs were needed to keep pace?

I think the pressure got to him a bit and he made some really questionable decisions/strategies for the game. Just gotta hope he learns from it....

Because sometimes you have to show strength when presented with the option for a desperate move.  'Going for it' tells the opposing team we have to take every chance we have to keep up with you.  A normal football team takes the points and lives to fight another series, a desperate team takes those chances.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree on everything you said.  

The number 1 thing Josh needs , is a run game and it's not close. KC and many teams have showed it zero respect,  only making Josh's job that much harder. 

The Bills know this..

trust Beane and Co will identify whether it's a OL/RB (both) issue and address it. 

If we can run the ball imagine how much better an already elite offense can Be!!! 😍

It definitely is both issues. We need to keep Moss and upgrade Singletary. And Daboll and his OL coach need to sit down together and come up with a plan. Either shuffle the OL or teach different blocking schemes. Teams will learn from what Spags did. Drop everyone in coverage, flood the secondary and ignore any chance of a run. Josh should never again be expected to pass 90% of the time. The Seattle game would've been the only exception. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

We were. And if you want to dig deeper we also ran extra protection on the most plays so being a smart ass doesn’t work when you only do half the work 

How the hell was I being a smart ass?  Take that combative attitude back to Tumblr.

2 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

How the hell was I being a smart ass?  Take that combative attitude back to Tumblr.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It definitely is both issues. We need to keep Moss and upgrade Singletary. And Daboll and his OL coach need to sit down together and come up with a plan. Either shuffle the OL or teach different blocking schemes. Teams will learn from what Spags did. Drop everyone in coverage, flood the secondary and ignore any chance of a run. Josh should never again be expected to pass 90% of the time. The Seattle game would've been the only exception. 

It seemed to me they became pidgeon holed into Allen passing 90% as all of their efforts throughout the season to run were unsuccessful.  Whether it’s simply a faster RB, or in addition, bring back a very effective old school FB, or line, or scheme.

The other part similar to what some others have written is they got cute.  They should’ve trusted what brought them there, and all of the changes blew up in their faces.  I trust these coaches will learn from it, and adapt next year.  Reid is brilliant and he anticipated exactly what McD was going to do.  That’s why it looked like the Chiefs looked like they knew everything Allen would check to and they adjusted in sync with our offense.  Reid also knew McD well enough to know how he would try and change things up.  A couple of the players may have been grinning etc. after the game, but they were the better team.  We had a an excellent year, and we will keep improving in 2021.