Mike Pettine done in Green Bay

Draconator

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not surprising...he’s basically the sacrificial lamb for the playoff upset.  I thought he did a good job in Green Bay

Yeah that defensive call at the end of the 1st half was awesome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Oh sorry....I didn’t realize we were talking about 1 defensive series.  Not his entire 3 years in Green Bay.  My bad

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Geez.  That Head Coach throwing his special teams coach and now defensive coordinator under the bus.  Who’s gonna take the fall for the decision to kick the field goal which was probably the worst decision of them all on Sunday.  

That’s exactly what he’s doing, I think Pettine comes back if they make it to the Super Bowl.

Though his defenses still get gashed on the ground 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Geez.  That Head Coach throwing his special teams coach and now defensive coordinator under the bus.  Who’s gonna take the fall for the decision to kick the field goal which was probably the worst decision of them all on Sunday.  

The Offensive Coordinator?

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Oh sorry....I didn’t realize we were talking about 1 defensive series.  Not his entire 3 years in Green Bay.  My bad

That’s exactly what he’s doing, I think Pettine comes back if they make it to the Super Bowl.

Though his defenses still get gashed on the ground 

So in one post you contradict yourself.  Well done.  Pettine has always been overrated.  The great Rex Ryan coaching tree.

And yes, one horrific call in a crucial situation in the NFC Championship is worth making a big deal over.  That was an absolute killer; just as bad, and in an infinitely more important situation, as Greggo’s Cover 0 vs. the Raiders that got him fired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

They finished 9th in total defense. Their best performance in 10 years. 

He didn't call a great game against Tampa but this does feel a little reactionary to me.

Exactly. When you look at the personnel, he didn't have all that much to work with. Finishing 9th overall says he did a good job.

That would be kind of like firing Brian Daboll for one of his bad calls in the AFCC game. Or Leslie Frazier for one of his.

Then again, I guess that's what some people are calling for ....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't call a great game against Tampa but this does feel a little reactionary to me.

They picked off Brady 3 times, should have been 4 and held Tampa in check in the second half.  Seems very reactionary to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

have to placate Rodgers

need to keep focus on the defense to distract from the pick he threw to set up that end of half TD 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

It was a bad call.  He’s done a good job there imo.  His LB unit is one of the worst in the league, if not the worst.  

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He got fired because they traded up for Jordan Love and didn’t draft one player that was of real use 😇

Edited by NewEra

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

isn’t it amazing how NFL teams make such fickle and short-sighted decisions? You can go 14-3, have a great year, and lose your last game because your offense stalls— and then you get axed. 

• Agree 1

I watched that game, and the main problems the Packers had, were on offense.

Brady gets picked 3 times, 2 of them iirc consecutively, and again, iirc, Tampa gets the football back each time on 3 and outs. Definitely the D was a problem, fcol.

All of a sudden, the HC hire doesn't look so good, if he's throwing people under the bus to make up for his own mistakes.

Hopefully, people who have a clue, will still view Pettine favourably, when he's looking for another job. I don't think he's a top notch DC, but he's actually a pretty decent one.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ok, so I am not a Pettine guy.  And I think total yards on defense doesn’t nearly tell the whole story.  I think the most predictive defensive statistics are points (obviously), yards per play, 3rd down defense, and red zone defense.  Were they top 10 in those?

I am leaning more and more towards the notion that you win championships in this league by building an absolute beast on offense and then having a “pretty good” bend-but-don’t-break defense that does well when it counts.

22 minutes ago, spartacus said:

have to placate Rodgers

need to keep focus on the defense to distract from the pick he threw to set up that end of half TD 

The pick where the DB pulled the jersey off the Wideouts shoulder pad and wasn't called? Then you put it on Rodgers? Yeah ok 👌