EJ Gaines released

BillsMafi$

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Thanks for stopping by

...to collect your 1.25 million dollar paycheque.

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The EJ Gaines cycle: he’ll get signed for training camp and play well. He’ll then get injured and eventually released. 

So we just have to make some slight changes to the Fitzpatrick flow-chart then?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Like many here, I forgot he was even on the team. He looked good when he played, but I'm thinking there are better options. 

3 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I wonder why at this juncture.  He's gotta be making close to minimum wage for his experience & he's gotta be replaced by someone else, so the savings are really only (eventually) a few 100k.

When he's on the field, he's comparable (or better) than Wallace or Norman.

Only thing I can think of, is we intend to re-sign someone & need the cap space while only the top 51 count.

3 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I don't understand this one.  Why not bring him into camp next season?  Reading through the responses so far I'm really in the minority on this but I thought when healthy he was our 2nd best CB.

Posters must be "remembering" someone else.  This dude hasn't played a down for the Bills in over 3 years.

9 hours ago, jjmac said:

Is this even a big deal?  We need to start drafting some more DBs that can play at a higher level than the ones we have now.  

No, it is not, but, we gotta have more than the trillions of  worthless mock drafts to talk about... or that we paid someone too much , 😂

• Like (+1) 1

This guy could play when healthy.  He made a big mistake, imho, opting out based on how the season went.  the NFL got it done through difficult dircumstances, but few were seriously ill (Sweeney being one exception)  He will land somewhere in the NFL, maybe Jets.

Just now, bigK14094 said:

This guy could play when healthy.  He made a big mistake, imho, opting out based on how the season went.  the NFL got it done through difficult dircumstances, but few were seriously ill (Sweeney being one exception)  He will land somewhere in the NFL, maybe Jets.

OH, I forgot, I think all he got was the $150K the opt outs got, not the 1.25 Million.

13 hours ago, jjmac said:

Is this even a big deal?  We need to start drafting some more DBs that can play at a higher level than the ones we have now.  

I don't think it's a big deal, the question in my mind is why we did it right now, even if we don't see him as part of our future

Several reasons:

1) may have asked; best chance for his agents to talk to people and assure his client a place on a roster next season

2) are we looking at signing one of the vets we had on practice squad to a futures contract?

3) ??

Seems like strange timing to me

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

A little surprising...he was pretty good when he was healthy and it's not like he counted much against the cap. Unless they think Jackson is going to take over the #2 CB spot.

Wallace and Jackson will compete for the #2  ?